Off-topic > Off-off-topic

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Akira

<< < (2/4) > >>

Beta:

--- Quote from: penllawen on ---The comments are shockingly good, considering it's YouTube. I have just discovered a couple of interesting sounding early proto-cyberpunk novels via them (When Gravity Fails and The Stars My Destination) that I think I'll check out.

This kind of thing is entirely my jam; thanks for the link, AJC. I shall be watching this at my earliest opportunity.

(And because I'm still delirious about it and can't stop telling people, even though it's off topic I can't resist saying: I met William Gibson last night. Gosh. GOSH.)

--- End quote ---

1) Cool about meeting Gibson!
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.  (Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.  The original Cyberpunk RPG had less from When Gravity Fails, but a bit from Little Heroes I thought).  Others may have their own lists, but those are the connections that I see.

penllawen:

--- Quote from: Beta on ---2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.
--- End quote ---
Well, OK! Thank you! I have sent a preview to my Kindle for when I get done with Agency and American Gods.

--- Quote ---Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.
--- End quote ---
Strongly agree about Neuromancer (obv) and also Hardwired (which to my mind is a little bit overlooked when people talk about the classic cyberpunk touchstones... it's perhaps not as strong on serious-big-ideas as Gibson or Sterling but it's a pacy little genre novel nevertheless and has some pretty good worldbuilding in it.) Hardwired is why riggers have been my favourite SR archetype since I first opened SR2e in 1993 or so.

Horsemen:
Hardwired is my go-to for inspiration for Riggers.

Singularity:

--- Quote from: Beta on ---1) Cool about meeting Gibson!
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.  (Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.  The original Cyberpunk RPG had less from When Gravity Fails, but a bit from Little Heroes I thought).  Others may have their own lists, but those are the connections that I see.

--- End quote ---

Ditto on number one! In regards to the Cyuberpunk RPG, according to that documentary, it was influenced heavily by Hardwired. This is supported by the fact that when I bought everything for Cyberpunk 2020, they had a sourcebook for running your game in that universe.

Singularity:

--- Quote from: penllawen on ---
--- Quote from: Beta on ---2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.
--- End quote ---
Well, OK! Thank you! I have sent a preview to my Kindle for when I get done with Agency and American Gods.

--- Quote ---Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.
--- End quote ---
Strongly agree about Neuromancer (obv) and also Hardwired (which to my mind is a little bit overlooked when people talk about the classic cyberpunk touchstones... it's perhaps not as strong on serious-big-ideas as Gibson or Sterling but it's a pacy little genre novel nevertheless and has some pretty good worldbuilding in it.) Hardwired is why riggers have been my favourite SR archetype since I first opened SR2e in 1993 or so.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Horsemen on ---Hardwired is my go-to for inspiration for Riggers.

--- End quote ---

Just a FYI, Hardwired has two more books in that series:

Hardwired (1986)
Voice of the Whirlwind (1987)
Solip:System (1989)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version