NEWS

The Big List Of Things That Need Clarification

• 61 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <04-30-12/1250:40> »
I've been thinking. I have had complaints about the speed and quality of errata and clarifications from Catalyst. Many of them. Perhaps it would be more constructive to help identify what needs to be fixed.

I'd like people to list here rules issues that often seem to cause many long, drawn out discussions. I'm not talking about what you may find right or wrong with the rules. Just things that seem to trigger large arguments every time they come up.

Preferably, list JUST the problem rule at hand without injecting any personal bias you may have on how the rule should be interpreted.

I would also like this NOT to be a discussion are for any rules issues listed here - if you want to discuss it, make a thread in the Rules forum.

I'll start:

Many initiative pass boosting items have language restricting the stacking of "other Initiative boosting items". Some of the text seems to have been copy-pasted from Third Edition, where the initiative system worked differently. Is the stacking restriction intended to mean ANY item that modifies the Initiative score, or just items that add actual Initiative Passes?

-k

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <04-30-12/1642:44> »
Does Lightning Bolt actually do Physical Damage, as per the stat block, or Stun Damage per the Electricity elemental effect?
« Last Edit: <04-30-12/1650:14> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #2 on: <04-30-12/1723:09> »
Does Lightning Bolt actually do Physical Damage, as per the stat block, or Stun Damage per the Electricity elemental effect?
I'm not an official source, but as someone who's been burned...literally...by electricity, I'm going to say the former.

The official answer may vary from this.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-12/1806:03> »
Depends on the voltage and amperage, as well as the natural resistance of the person.

My electrocution "Super Happy Fun Times" were stun damage only, but I overflowed into physical damage once.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <04-30-12/2012:05> »
Depends on the voltage and amperage, as well as the natural resistance of the person.

My electrocution "Super Happy Fun Times" were stun damage only, but I overflowed into physical damage once.

Right, but we're talking about the text that says "Electrical damage is treated as Stun" vs the Lightning Bolt's entry that says "Damage: P".
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-30-12/2025:06> »
An official (non-FAQ) answer to the Firewall question would be nice.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #6 on: <04-30-12/2057:51> »
Firewall question?

Please post as if talking to someone who has no idea what the issue is.

The idea here is to compile a list of rules questions for clarification. We've all seen them. Regardless of how you or I feel on this or that subject, the mere mention spawns a multi page thread and sometimes virtual fistfights. The very fact that they elicit such a reaction means the rules as written could stand to be cleared up and clarified.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-30-12/2100:54> »
Firewall question?

Please post as if talking to someone who has no idea what the issue is.

The idea here is to compile a list of rules questions for clarification. We've all seen them. Regardless of how you or I feel on this or that subject, the mere mention spawns a multi page thread and sometimes virtual fistfights. The very fact that they elicit such a reaction means the rules as written could stand to be cleared up and clarified.

-k

The whole deal on whether Firewall is limited by Response.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <05-01-12/0032:50> »
How indirect TOUCH combat spells work, with a step-by-step example.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #9 on: <05-01-12/0049:07> »
why CanRay can never play.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <05-01-12/0307:12> »
- What exactly is the definition of an Initiative Enhancer/Initiative Booster? Is it just anything that boosts IP or Reaction, or is there more to it?

-Are called shots meant to be capable in any firing mode as long as weapon is capable of single shot, semi-auto, and burst fire, or is this poor wording and they're only capable of being taken on single shot, semi-auto, and burst fire attacks?

-Is taking aim for Image Magnification meant to use up one of your +1 bonus slots? In other words, you can only take aim up to half your skill times sequentially. Does using it for image magnification use this up so that a person with a skill of four that aims with a scope can only take aim once more for a +1 bonus, or does it not count so he can aim two more times for a +2 bonus? RAW implies the first, but common sense would say aiming with a scope should allow you to be more precise.

-On the same topic, is take aim really meant to disallow skill of less than two from being able to take aim, and consequentially unable to benefit from a scope?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-01-12/0645:45> »
why CanRay can never play.

He will
He's found a GM (thats Hot News from Shadowrun.com ;) )

Hough !
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #12 on: <05-02-12/1340:08> »
Are there any "hidden" spell modifiers Catalyst used to write some spells? Some spells seem to have an extra Drain, or less Drain, than just the tables would imply in Street Magic.

Also, does Force matter at all for healing spells?
« Last Edit: <05-02-12/1351:55> by Mason »

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-02-12/1348:46> »
Does the Shapechange spell change the character's augmented maximums to those of the critter that you change into?

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-02-12/1350:11> »
What is the augmented max for stats of other beings, like critters or spirits? Is it based on their current attribute ratings? Are their stats assumed to be 'average", so they can be raised 3 times before hitting their racial cap, and that cap is what you base augmented maximums on?