NEWS

How do you get your drones around?

• 8 Replies

SupahEwok

• Newb
« on: <07-09-18/1759:13> »
Let me preface this with my situation: I'm a relatively new player to Shadowrun, and completely new to 5e. I'm building a Rigger, where my build priority is Vehicle Primary, Crafting Secondary, and Drone Support Tertiary, ie at chargen drones are whatever I've got leftover (at the moment, 1 combat drone, 1 overwatch drone, small swarm of Noizquitos for scouting and flashing during combat). I like to have a big tank of a vehicle that serves as the last word in a situation that's spun out of control, as always happens (there was this one Chuck E Cheese...). I've had success with this the only other time I played Shadowrun, where the armored up assault vehicle played as a trump card against whatever the party managed to rile up.

I've built a Mack Hellhound this time around. My main reasons for choosing it were the 20 body for mods, and the in-built drone racks. With 20 body, I could eventually work up to 2 of my preferred weapon mounts: Heavy, Internal, Turret, 10 slots each. Lots of things you can do with 2 different heavy weapons! (Insofar as stealth and subtlety are concerned, we aren't full pink mohawk and the GM expects an honest effort at keeping downlow, but I've got good ideas for getting around, like impersonating local security firms and the like, which have met with approval by my party; it's not an issue for this thread)

However, I've since come to the conclusion that an Assault Cannon is probably all you need unless you've gotten in so much crap that nothing's gonna get you out, so I only need the 1 turret mount. That opens the field to any vehicles with less than 20 body. However, vehicles with 16 or 18 body can't mount as many drone racks as the Hellhound has built in.

That leads to my main question: how do drone heavy riggers get their drones around? I read online of folks having swarms of 15 small or medium drones, while each drone rack of that size takes up a good 2-3 weapon mod slots on a vehicle. Are they just flying them everywhere? That seems off to me, having a cloud of 15 drones in the sky seems noticeable without springing for chameleon coating on each of them, which, expensive. And doesn't that cause problems with drone operations time? I can't find any mentions of how long drones can operate without recharging in 5e, but in 4e it was 6 hours, which travel would bite into hugely. And it doesn't cover stuff like wheeled drones, how do those keep up with the vehicle in a chase? Or be at all subtle, a string of drones following your van around? My last idea is having another vehicle strung out on Pilot behind the main party bus that's been converted to a drone carrier, but that again has a lot of problems with subtlety and chase scenes.

I know I said drones are a tertiary concern at chargen, but with the assault vehicle costing 200k+, its here to stay for the duration of the campaign, and I need to keep an eye on future expansion, if we do well and I get the funds.

Just want to know if there's options or common methods I'm missing (I did see the nesting doll strategy on the other rigger thread that's been going recently, but I'm not a fan of it). If drones have a simple manner of transport that does not require racks, then my other reason for the Hellhound is negated, and I'd feel good about finding another vehicle to serve as an assault transport. One a little easier to get around in without getting in trouble than a hauler (thinking a Roadmaster or Teufelkatze).

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-09-18/1809:51> »
Drone Racks are preferred.  Small drones?  Toss 'em in a box, take time to get them out.

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <07-09-18/1947:11> »
Drone racks from rigger 5.

Fun with racks let’s you nest drones within each other.

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-10-18/1315:22> »
Just to answer your post topic question, since I'm sorting through the body of the post, will respond later.

Wakshaani (Rigger 5 errata/writer) posted this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/6h9q7l/drone_sizes/dixcoqi/

The rule of thumb I use is as follows:

Body 0 (Micro) - About the size of a mouse. (The old version used to be shown as a spider drone the size of a tarantula, that almost, but not entirely, covered a CD/DVD.) ... small enough to be stepped on and destroyed.

Body 1 (mini)- About the size of a housecat or a bird. The Festo Pigeon 2.0 is the best example here.

Body 2 (small)- About the size of a Labrador or so, up to about the size of R2D2.

Body 3 (medium) - About human sized-ish. Some are a bit smaller, some a bit larger, but right in that spot.

Body 4/5 (Large) - Bigger than a person, so clos eto an Ork or a small horse in size. The classic a "The size of your refrigerator". They still fit in doors, but it's a close thing and you'd better go slow.

Body 6 (Huge) - between the size of a refrigerator and a VW Beetle. These rarely fit indoors, but can navigate garage door-sized openings and are transportable with effort.

You can also reference the concealibility chart
–6   RFID tag, bug slap patch, microdrone, contact lenses
–4   Hold-out pistol, monowhip, ammo clip, credstick, chips/softs, sequencer/passkey, autopicker, lockpick set, commlink, glasses
–2   Light pistol, knife, sap, minidrone, microgrenade, flash-pak, jammer, cyberdeck, rigger command console
0   Heavy pistol, machine pistol with folding stock collapsed, grenade, goggles, ammo belt/drum, club, extendable baton (collapsed)
+2   SMG, machine pistol with folding stock extended, medkit, small drone, extendable baton (extended), stun baton
+4   Sword, sawed-off shotgun, bullpup assault rifle
+6   Katana, monosword, shotgun, assault rifle, sport rifle, crossbow
+8   Sniper rifle, bow, grenade launcher, medium drone
+10/Forget about it   Machine gun, rocket launcher, missile launcher, staff, claymore, metahuman body

Note that for medium drones, I think it means more like "hugging to you size" so a medium rotodrone maybe the size of a "lawnmower."  Despite a "Bow" being quite thing, along with the other references.  GM discretion and common sense abides.  That said if you're going strictly off this chart, you could technically have it in something that can conceal a grenade launcher (cyberarms) which is funny.

As for drone drop offs, and such, typically I noticed I'll have my truck (gmc armadillo with transport bed for the on the go cheap rigger setup) use (free) linked device to throw open the doors.  Have my medium drones inside, my dustoff on a large rack with mechanical arm, my micro on people or the glove compartment, etc.  The actual tricky part about racks are they're 'outside the vehicle', so I invested also into a large smuggling troll sized (for my paladin, or whatever bigger combat drone of choice).

Alternatively, unless your GM is really hard nosed, many of the Restricted drones/armor can easily be explained by medical, armored courier license.  And you can uninstall a mod at half its threshold (say obvious armor) and reinstall it on the same vehicle (p152, Rigger 5).

Hope that helps, enjoy the rigger life and ask for houserules on recovery/mental stats!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <07-12-18/1621:17> »
generally speaking, i dont take large drones that aren't aerial because im yet to play in a campaign where theyre appropriate. mediums/smalls can go in smuggling compartments in the boot of my car and micros can be clipped into pouches in belts or kept in cases in concealed pockets. depends how pink mohawk you're going
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Myriad

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-16-18/0957:17> »
Unless the GM is part of Humanis... large drones are the size of orks, so should fit fine in most places.  =P

That said most large drones draw attention, so even having them as an option here I try to use common sense when possible.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #6 on: <08-13-18/2119:33> »
I just started a campaign where I'm running a combination driver/drone rigger. I picked a GMC Armadillo with the workshop truck bed option (for mobile drone repair), and got my GM to agree to a roof hatch on the workshop. Threw on a couple drone racks for the Roto-drones, and the rest can ingress/egress through the roof hatch.

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-13-18/2150:47> »
A van.

No, really. If you kit out anthro-drones for combat you can just load them in a van or the back of a pickup truck pretty easily for the sake of a distraction. Yeah drone racks are nice but you should be able to just make them climb in just fine.

Past that? Concealed pockets for micro work just fine. Arguably a mini as well if you presume the pocket is big enough. Backpacks work for mini's too.

Small and medium you'll probably want racks, quite possibly launching racks, so really any heavy truck or stepvan can be converted for that. Mix it with electrochromic and a spoof chip, you can easily play yourself off as a delivery driver with delivery drones, too.

Anything bigger and you'd probably be best served nabbing a semi or something if you want more than on. You could jam a Steel Lynx rack into the back of a sedan. But depending on how you operate that's probably best saved for a last resort.

adzling

« Reply #8 on: <08-14-18/1959:51> »
Anthro drone with realistic features mod and micro drone racks is the perefect Lo-profile recon platform.

With the right cyberarm mods it’s makes a passable combat platform too.