NEWS

6e Colt M23

• 6 Replies

lazlo

• Newb
« on: <08-29-19/1221:51> »
The description for the Colt M23 says, "Cheap, mass-produced, and infinitely adaptable..." But in the Rifles table it is by far the most expensive assault rifle listed (at 5,100 nuyen compared to the Ares Alpha at 3,400) while also having arguably the worst stats.

Does anyone know if that price is a mistake?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-19/1247:18> »
The price is meant to reflect its advantages at Far and Extreme range.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

lazlo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-19/1306:30> »
Seriously? I honestly can't tell if you are joking.

1,700 nuyen over the Ares Alpha for 1 AR at far and 2 AR at extreme (where even the higher value of 4 is not likely to be effective)?  When it has no accessories compared to everything the Alpha has, including a grenade launcher.  And if that is the intended price I would say that the description of the weapon needs to be errated because it most certainly isn't "Cheap".

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-19/1429:53> »
I'm keeping my opinions very much out of this thread and I gave you the best facts I have.  To confirm: yes the errata team has been aware of this.

Until such time it might be errata'd, this simply is what it is.

Of course, there's also no reason your GM can't house rule a lower price.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-29-19/1714:57> »
The description for the Colt M23 says, "Cheap, mass-produced, and infinitely adaptable..." But in the Rifles table it is by far the most expensive assault rifle listed (at 5,100 nuyen compared to the Ares Alpha at 3,400) while also having arguably the worst stats.

It's possible the error was a simple inversion of the 1 and 5; maybe it was meant to be 1500?

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-19/1912:49> »

It's possible the error was a simple inversion of the 1 and 5; maybe it was meant to be 1500?

The Colt M-23 was introduced in Fields of Fire, unless I am mistaken.  The text is almost identical from back then.  1500 is likely the intended price, transposed during some update or another.  That was it's original purpose in the game anyway, "cheapest in class". 

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #6 on: <08-29-19/1922:29> »
You are correct! Good memory.

Here it is, complete with my errata notes in pencil from 20 years ago. Plus ça change...
« Last Edit: <08-29-19/1924:20> by penllawen »