NEWS

Differences between English and German books

• 9 Replies

RacoonSF

• Newb
« on: <07-28-15/1436:54> »
I'm not sure if this beliongs here or in the Errata section.

I mainly own English Shadowrun books, but I know that the German products are not only translated by Pegasus but also delievered with added content for the ADL states etc.

I also noticed that there seem to be a lot of error corrections, rule clarifications and such.
E.g. on the Pegaus forum it is announced that the German "Run Faster" ("Schattenläufer") is "reworked, errata'd and expanded", e.g. 2 new character creation examples for metavariants and shifters and 80-100 changes/errata.

What I don't understand is: Why is there an Errata for the German version and not for the English one? Is it done by Pegasus and not CGL? And where is the difficulty to release an Errata for the English one? I certainly won't buy the German book in addition to the English one.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-29-15/0742:34> »
There are internal Errata files at CGL, German error corrections are based on them PLUS the German Authors asking directly for rules clarifications.
In the past, there had also been cases of German Freelancers working for both the Mother Company and the german distributor, leading to an easier transfer of infos.

The German Stuff is an additional Service by Pegasus.

rayous

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-29-15/0820:39> »
Is there any chance of getting a translation of Pegasus books sold? Im dying for errata.

RacoonSF

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-29-15/1318:04> »
Okay, so there is effectively an Errata, but CGL simply feels no need to publish it in English.

I mean come on. Even translating the few expanded/corrected passages back from German to English shouldn't take that much effort. I guess no one expects an Errata in the same layout as the books. A simple official list of fixes would do.

Considering that some issues are quite severe (e.g. shapehsifter are only playable with min. 50 % houseruling), player can expect an Errata after 7 month, I guess.

« Last Edit: <07-30-15/0956:22> by RacoonSF »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-15/0746:51> »
Gents:

There are numerous threads on the forums regarding errata and the challenges/issues associated. All of the "official" errata from CGL has been released and is on the website (though I still use Bing/Google to locate it).

I'm not privy to the interactions between CGL and Pegasus press, so can't confirm or deny how they "update" the German publications and vet those back with CGL. Rather than speculate, I will follow this up with Jason H once everyone is back from GenCon.

RacoonSF

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-30-15/0955:18> »
Guess you are right. I jumped to conclusions there. One really can't tell the internal workings between Pegasus and CGL.

Sorry for being that harsh. It's just very frustrating as a player.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-31-15/2131:18> »
There are internal Errata files at CGL, German error corrections are based on them PLUS the German Authors asking directly for rules clarifications.
To the best of my knowledge and the limits of my NDA, this is mostly false.

Okay, so there is effectively an Errata, but CGL simply feels no need to publish it in English.

I mean come on. Even translating the few expanded/corrected passages back from German to English shouldn't take that much effort.
This is hilariously false. Translating Shadowrun material correctly is time-consuming and expensive.
« Last Edit: <07-31-15/2148:11> by Crimsondude »

RacoonSF

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-01-15/0527:44> »

I mean come on. Even translating the few expanded/corrected passages back from German to English shouldn't take that much effort.
This is hilariously false. Translating Shadowrun material correctly is time-consuming and expensive.
[/quote]

Maybe I phrased this too simplistic. Of course translation is a time-consuming and expensive process. But i was not talking about the translation of a whole 500-pages-all-new-content-Shadowrun-book from English to German. I meant not to offend or play done the tremendous amount of work needed in translation.

What I referred to is the translation of relatively small passages or mere sentences back into it's original language. But to deflect further argument here, as I previously stated: I jumped to conclusions. I was under the impression that Pegasus gets it's corrected content directly from CGL, in which case there would already be an English original, so there would be no real translation work needed.

But, as you stated, this assumption is false, so the point is obsolete.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-01-15/0831:29> »
Of course if they'd released any errata since Street Grimoier there wouldn't be this kind of speculation.

Yes, I get it, dreck happens... but it's REALLY fragging frustrating to the fans when there's long standing issues with NO WORD on when, or even IF they are going to be fixed.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-01-15/1143:17> »
Of course if they'd released any errata since Street Grimoier there wouldn't be this kind of speculation.

Yes, I get it, dreck happens... but it's REALLY fragging frustrating to the fans when there's long standing issues with NO WORD on when, or even IF they are going to be fixed.

+1