NEWS

Changing ratings and their Karma costs

• 3 Replies

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« on: <01-14-11/2135:45> »
Today I realized the same problem in 4 different game parts. And the question to you is how we should generally or in detail deal with it, as GM?

There are values or ratings that are the base for the costs, but they can easily change over time.

1. Connection ratings, you buy a Connection with 2 ratings that define your BP or Karma costs at the start of the Game, but later in the Game that ratings could raise. Does the player have to pay the new rating with his Karma?

2. Spirit Pact at character generation the spirits Edge define the BP or Karma costs for the pact, but later in Game it can raise its Edge Attribute. What's about the Quality cost does it raise, too? And has the PC pay the new price? And if is it only the difference between the two prices or has he pay the whole new price?

3. Resonance Bond (see 2., it's the same question and problem, because it's the same game mechanic)

4. Fresh from the "War!", Feral Resonance, in this case the TM has to pay Karma equal to the feral AI’s rating. But the rules from RW (see p. 197), say that a feral AI improves its rating over time as growing effect automatically. So what does it mean for the PC, does the character have to pay every time the AI's rating is improving? Or is it a one time bound cost?

Greetings
UV

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-14-11/2316:14> »
1. Connection ratings, you buy a Connection with 2 ratings that define your BP or Karma costs at the start of the Game, but later in the Game that ratings could raise. Does the player have to pay the new rating with his Karma?

Once game "starts" contacts are free-flowing entities. Their Connection and Loyalty ratings ebb and flow with the Shadows. Just like with gaining new contacts, it's all about what the players do in-game rather than paying Karma. If the players do a run against one of their contact's major suppliers...then that contact's Connection is going to go down. If the players help secure a new source for that contact...Connection will go up. The one caveat would be "don't change the rating arbitrarily." If you're going to lower/raise Connection or Loyalty for a contact give the player(s) a part in it or at least options afterward on how to fix the issue (if it's an issue, no one's likely to complain if things get better for them).

For #s 2 & 3...well, a little more tricky. The PC would not have to pay the new price, I would argue, but may be required to do things for the entity, even paying Karma. Regardless of what's done I would say that it should be incorporated into some kind of adventure, but if an adventure isn't feasible for the whole group, then I would go with a base Karma and ¥ cost equal to the cost of raising Edge as if the PC was raising edge plus 1,000¥ x New Edge Rating (though that's just off the cuff, and there may be rules I'm missing).

For #4...don't have War! yet :( but...

In general, especially for things gained by Qualities (both Positive and Negative) the role-playing of the characters has a far greater effect on the change of those Qualities over time than anything else...in general...specific rules, of course, supersede this general rule.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-11/1253:07> »
I'm with Fizzygoo, unless there's a clear rule somewhere, all this should be handled via roleplay & the natural flow of the game... essentially, what "feels" right.

After all, even though each of these cases feature people/creatures predisposed to work in the interest of the PC, they do have their own agendas they'll pursue, occasionally to the detriment of the player.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #3 on: <01-15-11/1428:11> »
I applaud that. This is the way i usually handle things like that. Along with other systems, not only SR. For example, that approach works wonders in World of Darkness games.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."