NEWS

New to Shadowrun, rules for damage?

• 33 Replies

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-05-11/0400:52> »
You are not actually dodging the bullets, as you would dodge a punch. But you are moving in such a way that it is more difficult to shoot at you.
At least, that is how I interpret the rules.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #16 on: <12-05-11/0409:52> »
You are not actually dodging the bullets, as you would dodge a punch. But you are moving in such a way that it is more difficult to shoot at you.
At least, that is how I interpret the rules.

Well, you do take more than a little information from which way the gun is pointing, but yeah, you're trying to generally avoid being lined up with the barrel rather than dodging at a specific moment to avoid that one chunk of lead.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-05-11/0549:42> »
Speaking of which, why do they allow the defender to roll on their dodge skill vs. bullets?
You're not dodging Bullets (Runner ain't Neo) you're just making Yourself harder to hit by moving fast or erratically

with a Fast dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #18 on: <12-05-11/1139:07> »
There is also the size of the dice pool.

Base Dodge for Ranged:                                Reaction.... yes just Reaction.
Spending a IP for Full Defense for Ranged:   Reaction + Dodge
Base Dodge for Melee (since you can see it)  Reaction + Dodge
Spending a IP for Full Defense for Melee:      Reaction + (2x Dodge)

Now, without quoting from the books, I know that there are ways of substituting Dodge for Unarmed Combat, Blades, Clubs or Gymnastics, but the size of the dice pool is still _about_ the same.
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <12-05-11/1232:10> »
Now, without quoting from the books, I know that there are ways of substituting Dodge for Unarmed Combat, Blades, Clubs or Gymnastics, but the size of the dice pool is still _about_ the same.

That would be the block/parry rules, and Gymnastic Dodge.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <12-06-11/1626:40> »
Speaking of which, why do they allow the defender to roll on their dodge skill vs. bullets?
You're not dodging Bullets (Runner ain't Neo) you're just making Yourself harder to hit by moving fast or erratically

with a Fast dance
Medicineman

Actually you might be able to argue differently.... I mean a combat turn is 2 seconds right? Divide that by 4 and you get each turn being .5 seconds. Sure the bullet will still be much faster than this but people can catch arrows in about the same time as that. *shrugs* I think you might actually be able to see the bullet with something like wired reflexes rating 3.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <12-06-11/1716:26> »
Actually you might be able to argue differently.... I mean a combat turn is 2 seconds right?

I thought it was 3 seconds?
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <12-07-11/0243:42> »
I mean a combat turn is 2 seconds right?
3 Seconds

I think you might actually be able to see the bullet with something like wired reflexes rating 3.
Nope (I don't think so )
and even if some Chars have 4 IPs a lot of Chars (and NPCs) only have 1 or 2 ,especially the "non-Fighter-Chars" a Bullet is still way to fast to directly act against it

with 1 Dance in 3 Seconds
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

TennyJaden

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <12-07-11/0832:36> »
Yeah, that is true. Taking typical Assault Rifles from nowadays like the M16 or the Steyr AUG, their Muzzle Veolcity is about 1 km/s (about 3 mps). Even though air impedes the bullet massively over time, just calculating with that speed in a normal shootout over like 150 feet of distance the bullet will still arrive in a fraction of a second at the target (I am at school and have no motivation to do any more detailed calculations, but I may do some calculations, MAYBE!).

Even with 4 IPs one of your passes takes 0.75 seconds, and even so, when you do something like that it just means your brain reacts that fast, but your body is still not faster than always. Anybody ever played F.E.A.R. or Max Payne? The bullet time there is much more accurate if you want to know what Wired Reflexes feel like, than the Matrix Movies. You can see the path a bullet takes, because you are fast enough to see the air disturbances but you will NEVER dodge a bullet. The only advantage it does give you is the simple ability to aim effectively, before your enemy has time to react to you, and be quick in cover, when you see that the enemy takes aim at you, but from the moment on, the bullet has been fired, there is NO WAY to dodge it anymore (The Matrix movies are terribly inaccurate because with that amount of slowdown applied there, a bullet still would be exceedingly fast, and you couldn't do any cool dodgemoves like Neo  :-\  :P)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #24 on: <12-07-11/0947:05> »
@Tenny

Except the Matrix doesn't need to deal with things like Physics, because it is a computer program. Using the Matrix as a basis for any comparison to the meat is going to be flawed.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TennyJaden

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <12-07-11/0955:19> »
@Mirikon True, but for the whole dodging bullet thing, most people think of the matrix.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #26 on: <12-08-11/0651:50> »
I think of this.  A samurai drawing a sword and slicing a pellet shot from a pelletgun fired at 200 mph.

TennyJaden

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <12-08-11/1607:51> »
Well, but there are a couple of flaws wit this:

First of all, the velocity of a bullet from an Assault Rifle for example is MUCH faster, second that guy practiced a very specialized technique that probably not everyone in the SR world practices, even if you are a runner and third, it needs so much focus, I doubt that that would be possible in a real firefight.

And that's just assuming, that that is not a fake  ::)

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #28 on: <12-08-11/1715:12> »
And he's standing next to the bullet's trajectory. If it'd been fired straight for his chest, he would have ended up with a piece in his neck and a piece on his gut... So I wouldn't advice it as a form of defense ;)
Not to say that's not a really incredible feat though! (If real, because it's really damned near superhuman.)

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <12-08-11/1908:03> »
Not to say that's not a really incredible feat though! (If real, because it's really damned near superhuman.)

I checked; the guy's legit... just really, really good at what he does.
― Albert Einstein

― Me