NEWS

Is there any way to increase a Mystic adepts Power Points without the metamagic?

• 154 Replies

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-05-14/1130:17> »
OK, fair enough, I missed that, thanks.  So that removes the first point, just leaving the second -- why can't they buy power points through karma?
So while I already stated what you missed, I get called out to state opinions ... interesting.

They can't buy PP, because PP can't be bought! Sounds strange? Maybe, but there is no extra cost for PP, you get them only by increasing Magic or through initiation. The chance to buy them at chargen is a specific exception, made because of reasons, balance being the most prevalent one.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #16 on: <06-05-14/1133:47> »
Except that you can, page 71. 

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-05-14/1150:38> »
The chance to buy them at chargen is a specific exception

Well?

You want another option based on an explicit exception? Not gonna happen ...

prismite

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <06-05-14/1154:20> »
Going off of RAW ... yes, Mystic Adepts can chose the PowerPoint option for their metamagic. Why? The wording is very clear to me here. It says "Adepts ONLY" ... well ... A mystic ADEPT is, well, an ADEPT. So yes, it can choose the PP. The book is very clear to point out when the MA is NOT allowed to do something that a normal Adept can, so it stands to reason quite easily.

This is very important because without house rules, there is no other way for the MA to gain PP post CharGen. I've seen arguments that its not a good expenditure of a metamagic slot (and I kind of agree on a power-basis) but for flavored characters who aren't focused on being all they can be as soon as its an option, it makes great sense.

Edit: after re-reading the title of the thread, I'll summarize and say NO, not without houserules.

« Last Edit: <06-05-14/1156:51> by prismite »
Want to join a skype game on R20 on Sundays? PM me!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-05-14/1725:29> »
Because Mystic Adepts require so many different attributes

That's not actually something that's intrinsically true.  Take, for example, the Shaman/Face - they both rely on Charisma, Willpower, and to some extent Intuition.  It's actually quite easy to have a Mystic Adept's attributes synergize well, and it will only get more so when Street Grimoire comes out and brings Intuition traditions.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-05-14/1733:52> »
With the Power point and Magic clarification on p. 3 in the SR5 errata all fall into place if you read Adept as including both [Physical] Adept and Mystic Adept except when it explicit state that the rule does not apply to mystic adept.

SR5 p. 68, 71 Step Three: Choose Magic or Resonance
Note that while adepts receive Power Points for free (equal to their Magic rating), mystic adepts do not. Mystic adepts must purchase Power Points using Karma at the cost 2 Karma per full Power Point. The maximum number of Power Points Mystic Adepts may have is equal to their Magic rating. These points would be purchased during Step Seven: Spending Your Left Over Karma (p. 98).
- [Physical] Adept get free power points during chargen.
- Mystic Adept pay karma for power points during chargen.

SR5 p. 69 Magic User Types Red Box
• Adepts gain Adept Powers that are purchased with Power Points. Adepts receive a number of Power Points equal to their Magic rating.
• Mystic adepts must purchase their Power Points with Karma (2 Karma each at character creation for a full Power Point, with a maximum number of points equal to their Magic attribute rating).

SR5 p. 101 Character Creation Checklist Red Box
Mystic adepts do not get their Power Points for free like other adepts, but must spend 2 Karma per Power Point.

SR5 Errata p. 1 Mystic Adept Power Points (ref: p. 71 Choose Magic or Resonance)
The amount of karma mystic adepts spend to buy Power Points is changed from 2 Karma to 5 Karma per full Power Point. This also means the fifth bullet point under Mystic Adepts on p. 69 should be changed.
- Mystic Adept pay 5 karma for power points during chargen.

SR5 p. 278-279 Power Points
Power Points are the quantified qi energy that adepts can spend to buy permanent powers. At character creation, adepts receive Power Points equal to their Magic attribute, while mystic adepts have to buy Power Points with Karma. Subsequently, Power Points can come in two ways. You get a free Power Point whenever you increase your Magic attribute, and you can gain a Power Point through Initiation (p. 324) instead of gaining a metamagic.
- [Physical] Adept get free power point during chargen.
- Post chargen both [Physical] Adept and Mystic Adept get a free power point when magic increase
- Post chargen both [Physical] Adept and Mystic Adept can get power point from initiation

SR5 errata p. 3 Power Points and Magic Clarification (ref: p. 279 Power Points Paragraph)
Change to following sentence: “You get a free Power Point whenever you increase your Magic attribute, and you can gain a Power Point through Initiation (p. 324) instead of gaining a metamagic.” To: “If you’re an adept, you get a free Power Point whenever you increase your Magic attribute (though this doesn’t apply to mystic adepts, and you can gain a Power Point through Initiation (p. 324) instead of gaining a metamagic.”
- Post chargen only [Physical] Adept get a free power point when magic increase
- Post chargen both [Physical] Adept and Mystic Adept can get power point from initiation

SR5 p. 326 Metamagic
Power Point (Adepts Only): If you’re an adept, you gain a Power Point instead of a metamagic. You can take this as many times as you like.
- Both [Physical] Adept and Mystic Adept can pick this power to gain Power Point instead of metamagic.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #21 on: <06-05-14/1817:52> »
You quoted everything....ok.  Are you saying that a Mystic Adept can buy power points, up to their Magic, post-chargen, or not? 

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-05-14/1854:10> »
Since that's not listed in his post while it does list post-chargen methods to gain Power Points, I'm guessing he's saying they can't.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <06-05-14/1854:23> »
It is clear that:
- Mystic Adept pay 5 karma for power points during chargen.
- Post chargen only [Physical] Adept get a free power point when magic increase

I find nothing to support that mystic adepts can buy power points for karma post chargen. This is how you can get power points post chargen:
1) If you’re an adept, you get a free Power Point whenever you increase your Magic attribute (though this doesn’t apply to mystic adepts)
2) you can gain a Power Point through Initiation (p. 324) instead of gaining a metamagic.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #24 on: <06-05-14/1941:15> »
I'm saying that Pg 71 does not indicate that it is for Chargen only. 

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <06-05-14/2021:47> »
I'm saying that Pg 71 does not indicate that it is for Chargen only.
And we're saying page 278-279 does.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #26 on: <06-06-14/0019:39> »
no?  I'm not seeing anything that says that. 

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <06-06-14/0026:56> »
These points would be purchased during Step Seven: Spending Your Left Over Karma (p. 98).
To me that indicates they are only available for Karma during chargen, your opinion of course may differ.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #28 on: <06-06-14/0037:56> »
Yeah, kinda the opposite.....almost everything you can do in the Spending Your Left Over Karma you can do in-game, though qualities are doubled, then. 

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <06-06-14/0040:19> »
But aren't all those things specified elsewhere that they can be done out of chargen? Like qualities and skill/attribute advancement etc.
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"