NEWS

[SR5] Smartlink Questions

• 116 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <04-21-14/2041:12> »
So my group- well, potential group- upgraded to SR5. I've been trying to figure out how a smartlink works in this new one and something bugs the hell out of me.

For a smartlink with a cable directly connected to your -head,- you get +2 to the weapon aim. If the wireless is on, it gives +2 to the dice pool.

So unless you're a tricked out samurai with a high enough agility score to get past the physical limit... this does no good for most of your weapons? I thought a smartgun system was supposed, partly, to allow for not-quite-so-combat-savvy characters to get a bit of a boost in the gun department...
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-21-14/2044:14> »
You don't use physical limit to shoot a gun, you use the gun's accuracy.  A smartlink adds 2 to the accuracy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "weapon aim," but under normal circumstances, a smartlink will do everything without a cable.

Also note that agility has no bearing on your physical limit--your last bit makes it sound as though you think it does.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-21-14/2046:08> »
Sorry, quoted the wrong stat. But thank you; I missed the section where the weapons' limit overrode the physical one. Freaking derp moment. >.< Thanks!
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Demon_Bob

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-21-14/2103:49> »
That kind of bugs me also.  Without the wireless, the smartlink for most characters seems worthless, because if the base accuracy is 5, then you would need 10 dice between gun skill and agility before really worrying about hitting the limit.  While, it helps the combat oriented characters, it does little for the non-combat ones.  Of course, once you add wireless it helps everyone, but unless you paid essence for it then its only +1.  Honestly for my primary non-combat character the laser sight has a better cost to benefit ratio, as DNI allows for several of the actions the smartlink provides.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <04-22-14/0005:37> »
Aright, hold up. I thought a smartlinked weapon required DNI- what am I missing here?

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <04-22-14/0231:01> »
I thought a smartlinked weapon required DNI- what am I missing here?
DNI is not necessary as smartlink can be a modification of external optical device (goggles, scopes). But DNI in SR5 is necessary for wireless use of smartlink.
« Last Edit: <04-22-14/0236:26> by Erling »
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <04-22-14/0333:28> »
That kind of bugs me also.  Without the wireless, the smartlink for most characters seems worthless, because if the base accuracy is 5, then you would need 10 dice between gun skill and agility before really worrying about hitting the limit.  While, it helps the combat oriented characters, it does little for the non-combat ones.  Of course, once you add wireless it helps everyone, but unless you paid essence for it then its only +1.  Honestly for my primary non-combat character the laser sight has a better cost to benefit ratio, as DNI allows for several of the actions the smartlink provides.
But that's what Limits are supposed to do: Target the people who get excessive dicepools. If you're an amateur with the gun, then you won't need the boost of the smartlink. The gun-crazy Adept with 21+ dice, on the other hand...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-22-14/0653:04> »
You can eject clip as free action and change firemode as free action as long as you have DNI and a wireless firearm (no matter if you use a smartgun system or not).

With a wired smartgun you get +2 accuracy and you can use the onboard camera to shoot around corners without exposing yourself for -3 to your attack pool (rather than the normal -6 you would get from Blind Fire).

With DNI and a wireless smartgun system you get all the above plus reducing the environmental modifier due to wind one level, share the line of sight of your weapon to your team, both accuracy and extra dice pool with each Take Aim action as well as a positive dice pool modifier of 1 or 2 dice depending on if the SmartLink is a cybernetic Augmentation or not.
« Last Edit: <04-22-14/0655:08> by Xenon »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-22-14/0859:24> »
A thread on this topic went to 8 pages, so it's safe to say that the issue isn't 100% settled. 

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11784.0

The main issue being, "what counts for DNI?"  aka, "Do I need a cable to eject clips as a free action?"

Take a look through the thread, many of the guys who are good at coming up with plausible explanations contributed.  The main problem being the rules for the item (p. 433) has ejecting as a free action listed under wireless bonuses while the rules for Change Linked Device Mode (p. 163) specifically mentions DNI, although it also mentions wireless DNI, so go figure.

My take?  If you paid essence for the smartlink, no.  Smartlinks have traditionally come with a dedicated image link system (and in some editions, a dedicated simrig); if it's plugged into your brain, you get enough DNI to eject the clip.  If you haven't paid essence, you'll need to follow a more traditional route for DNI.

martinchaen

« Reply #9 on: <04-22-14/0919:34> »
Also remember that a smartlink, unlike a laser sight, allows you to gain BOTH benefits from the Take Aim action;
Quote from: SR5 p178
A wireless smartgun connection provides an assortment of bonuses, but this table only provides the bonus you get while using it to attack. When aiming (using the Take Aim action) with a smartgun system the shooter gets both bonuses with each action of aiming.

This might not be huge for high-accuracy weapons, but for an Accuracy 3 shotgun it could be a decent boost.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-22-14/0938:47> »
The main issue being, "what counts for DNI?" 
Datajack or trodes.
Or implanted commlink or cyberdeck.

(Red box p. 222)

aka, "Do I need a cable to eject clips as a free action?"
In SR5 wireless is faster than wired.

Wireless and DNI let you change fire mode with a free mental action (wireless bonus p. 424).
- Change Linked Device Mode Free Action

Wireless but no DNI let you change fire mode as a simple action by using AROs or your commlink (you dont need to physically touch the weapon)
- Change Device Mode Simple Action

You can physically touch the fire mode button on a firearm to change it (no need for DNI, wireless or wire).
- Change Gun Mode Simple Action

...If you paid essence for the smartlink...
Smartlink have nothing to do with it.
If the weapon is wireless and you have DNI then it is a free action, if not it will be a simple action.

DNI = Datajack / trodes or implanted commlink / cyberdeck.
« Last Edit: <04-22-14/0949:24> by Xenon »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-22-14/0953:52> »
A few notes for clarification's sake.

Wireless and DNI let you change fire mode with a free mental action (wireless bonus p. 424).
- Change Linked Device Mode Free Action

Slight addendum: wireless or DNI.  The rules on page 424 are common to all (non-throwback) firearms.  So yes, you can plug a cable into your datajack (eqv.) and a non-smartlinked gun and get DNI.  However, page 433 makes it clear that if you have a wireless smartgun system, you don't need DNI to FA eject clips and change modes.

Wireless but no DNI let you change fire mode as a simple action by using AROs or your commlink (you dont need to physically touch the weapon)
- Change Device Mode Simple Action

See page 433.  Under wireless bonuses, "Ejecting a clip and changing fire modes are Free Actions."  No mention of DNI.  Very clearly FAs.

You can physically touch the weapon fire mode button on a firearm to change it (no need for DNI, wireless or wire).
- Change Gun Mode Simple Action

Agreed.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-22-14/1025:17> »
...wireless or DNI.
no.
You need wireless ON to get wireless bonus. Always.
The wireless bonus on p. 424 make it crystal clear you also need DNI if you want to change fire mode as free action.

...If you have DNI, you get two additional benefits. First, ejecting clip ... is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action. Second, changing fire modes ... is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action

...page 433 makes it clear that if you have a wireless smartgun system, you don't need DNI...
p. 433 give you two ways to connect.
One is with wire.

This give you +2 Accuracy and shoot around corners.

The second way (which give you +2 Accuracy and shoot around corners plus wireless bonus to eject and change fire mode as free action and bonus to your attack pool but also shift wind down one level and gain both accuracy and dice on each take aim action) require a wireless connection working in concert with direct neural interface.

You dont even need a smartlink to provide eject or change fire mode as free action... only a wireless firearm (with or without internal or external smartgun) and DNI.

No wireless firearm or smartgun = No wireless bonus
No DNI = No Free Mental Action to eject clip or change fire mode.
You need both Wireless and DNI for this bonus.
(you dont need a smartlink for this bonus).
« Last Edit: <04-22-14/1111:25> by Xenon »

martinchaen

« Reply #13 on: <04-22-14/1101:04> »
Hey Kincaid, I think you might have missed a part of that paragraph on page 433:
Wireless: A wireless smartlink provides a dice pool bonus to all attacks with the weapon: +1 if you’re using gear with a smartlink or +2 if you’re using an augmentation for which you paid Essence. Ejecting a clip and changing fire modes are Free Actions.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-22-14/1116:41> »
For design intent, see Sledge's character sheet from the Digital Boxed Set.  He has a smartlink but no means of achieving DNI.  Eject Smartgun Clip is listed on his character sheet as a Free Action.

@martinchaen: I cropped the first part because that's the classic "get what you pay for" aspect of smartlinks.  I think we're all in agreement on how that works.  While the text mentions wireless and DNI working in tandem, wireless bonuses are just that--wireless.  If I turn wireless off then yeah, I lose the +dice and ability to eject as a Free Action.