NEWS

Musing on programming and such

• 22 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <06-19-19/1140:29> »
Spells are actively designed in SR6 to be modular for CYO once magic book comes out. So who knows.

I'll wait until I have a copy in my hand and a chance to read it before I hazard any comments on 6th. We (I) just don't know enough to make an informed judgement yet...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <06-19-19/1205:41> »
There is no way even a top notch hacker or technomancer would be able to keep pace with entire teams of programmers who are working with mega-corp resources... Which in turn, means you would never be able to program a "Pilot" program past, maybe 3 in rating... (and that is pushing it)

And that right there ends all hacking in Shadowrun, flat out.

If that bit of reality is applied to the game, then Hack on the Fly and Brute Force actions are impossible in any timeframe because a "top notch" hacker or technomancer can't keep up with the ever changing security program code of a corporate host.

You know the code is constantly changing, if it weren't you would have at least a small window where you could use the exact same method you used previously rather than have to roll all over again.

On the other hand...  If you are hand waving the reality of the hacker hacking, you can hand wave the reality of the hacker coding...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <06-19-19/1329:53> »
Those are both examples of what is commonly known as a "exploit" hack... which still happens today. Case in point: Windows 10. Its been out for HOW long? And yet they are STILL closing exploit holes in the code...

Now I am not claiming Windows 10 is a rating 6 peogram or anything. But it is a professional coded software backed by a giant corporation.... made by hundreds of skilled programmers with close to a billion lines of code....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <06-19-19/1335:27> »
As a developer I can assure you that I can poke holes far faster than I can close them. Programming it simply takes way more time.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #19 on: <06-19-19/1343:03> »
One hacker doesn’t need to keep pace with a development team. It not about that. Just consider a billion lines of code? There will be vulnerabilities, and what’s more when a team corrects a vulnerability every Now and then they will introduce new vulnerabilities. This is a fact of engineering.

Errors happen, how big they are is the issue. Even if you had the perfect code, they code is only as safe as the weakest human link in the security chain.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« Reply #20 on: <06-30-19/0254:06> »
Btw, did I understand it correctly from comments I'm seeing elsewhere that cyberdecks are less expensive in 6e?  They're still the only way to do illegal actions, but is there a sense of how much they cost relative to their 5e counterparts?

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #21 on: <07-06-19/0955:23> »
There is no way even a top notch hacker or technomancer would be able to keep pace with entire teams of programmers who are working with mega-corp resources... Which in turn, means you would never be able to program a "Pilot" program past, maybe 3 in rating... (and that is pushing it)

And that right there ends all hacking in Shadowrun, flat out.

If that bit of reality is applied to the game, then Hack on the Fly and Brute Force actions are impossible in any timeframe because a "top notch" hacker or technomancer can't keep up with the ever changing security program code of a corporate host.

You know the code is constantly changing, if it weren't you would have at least a small window where you could use the exact same method you used previously rather than have to roll all over again.

On the other hand...  If you are hand waving the reality of the hacker hacking, you can hand wave the reality of the hacker coding...

I have to agree with you on this. In my current campaign our GM lets us take extended tests to write our own code. The idea is that we aren't really starting from scratch, but taking existing copies of software (i.e. Pilot programs) and working to rewrite specific sections to serve our own purposes. So if our rigger has 6 Rotodrones, he doesn't need to buy 6 copies of the Pilot 4 program he wants to use. He can buy one, and work with our decker on extended tests to copy/edit the program as many times as is needed.

And, of course, our GM waits patiently for glitches, which come through as bugs in the software... Little things like a Roto misjudging the distance to a wall, or the IFF on a Targeting program flipping for a round, or a combat walker thinking its a go-go dancer.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #22 on: <07-06-19/2321:47> »
Btw, did I understand it correctly from comments I'm seeing elsewhere that cyberdecks are less expensive in 6e?  They're still the only way to do illegal actions, but is there a sense of how much they cost relative to their 5e counterparts?

That has been said, though the degree has not been addressed specifically.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking