NEWS

[6E] Ritual drain rules

• 12 Replies

Typhus

• Omae
« on: <10-10-19/2225:12> »
So, I feel like I have another area where rules are missing that are needed in order to play the game.

Ritual drain.

Specifically, this passage:

After the spell effect goes off, each participant [resists] drain equal to twice the number of hits (not net hits) on the defense side of the final Sorcery + Magic test (minimum 2).

Problem: Some spells are not resisted, so there is no "defense side" to use to calculate Drain.

Let's use Healing Circle to cast a Heal spell.

Firstly, what's my threshold?  I have three people in the circle to heal.  One with Essence 1, one with Essence 3 and one with a nice pure Essence 6.

It is not spelled out, but usually the caster's hits are applied to each target individually.  So let's assume I get three net hits (cuz TH7s).  The Ess1 target gets no benefit, Ess3 gets 1 box healed, and the Ess6 character gets 4 boxes healed.  Assuming that's the correct reading.  Seems right, but not spelled out.  For the next three days, anyone using the circle gets +3 dice on healing tests made in the circle.  Since the healing rules don't specify that I need to remain in the circle, I guess my characters can just ducking to the circle to make healing tests, then wander off elsewhere?   

Now onto drain.  There's no "defense side" to use for "hits" to double here. 

So, what's the intent?  What's the Drain Value?  And why is that true?  I've literally copied the whole section out and read through it.  If it's hiding somewhere, I'm at a loss to find it.

Same seems to hold true for *Circle of Protection, Watcher, Ward*, and any Ritual version of a spell that does not entail a resistance/defense test.

Would love to be wrong, but it doesn't seem you can use these rules to cast most rituals spell.  Is this on a radar anywhere for a fix?

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-10-19/2231:31> »
My guess is that for unresisted spells you just use the minimum of 2.

Circle of Healing... No idea if you gain the benefit of the circle if you leave the circle during the time spent healing (1 hour for stun, 1 day for physical).

Could definitely use clarification.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-19/2240:18> »
Thins is probably one of those change blindness things. In 5e x2 force of the ritual was rolled creating  the drain. Now there is no force. Maybe it’s x2 threshold.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-11-19/0422:03> »
Quote from: Errata
p. 144, Seal the Ritual,
paragraph 2
Change the paragraph to read as follows:
After the spell effect goes off, each participant
must deal with drain equal to the number of hits
on a Ritual Threshold x 2 test (minimum 2) as described
on page 131.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-11-19/0518:48> »
Saw that one coming...

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-11-19/0600:46> »
Quote from: Errata
p. 144, Seal the Ritual, paragraph 2
Change the paragraph to read as follows:
After the spell effect goes off, each participant must deal with drain equal to the number of hits on a Ritual Threshold x 2 test (minimum 2) as described on page 131.
What is a Ritual Threshold x2 test? As far as I can tell, at least, this is not defined anywhere on page 131.

My guess is it's just a Simple Test using a dice pool equal to twice the Threshold of the ritual (specific to each ritual, 7x2 in the case of Circle of Healing for example).

And how does this interact with the act of spending Reagents, as this has the effect of reducing Drain Value by 1, to a minimum of 2? If spending reagents is done before sealing the ritual, do you have to spend reagents and hope for the best?

EDIT:
Oh... Is that sentence saying that "deal with drain" as per page 131? Yeah, that seems more likely. It should probably read as follows instead:
After the spell effect goes off, each participant must deal with drain (as described on page 131) equal to the number of hits on a Ritual Threshold x 2 test (minimum 2).
« Last Edit: <10-11-19/0603:04> by ZeroSum »

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-11-19/1022:18> »
Yes, that wording doesn't fully clarify the intent.  Is my Drain DV the RT x 2 or is this telling me to make an opposed test for drain resistance vs a dice pool equal to RTx2? 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-11-19/1027:02> »
Original phrasing was twice the number of hits, 2 paragraphs down we again have twice the number of hits. Since we already have a section describing the same test, while by itself confusion is understandable, in this case it should have been obvious what was meant, even if they phrased it poorly due to the hotfix rush.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-11-19/1506:40> »
I'm so sorry. I feel dense here. 

So we should be taking dice equal to twice the Ritual Threshold number and rolling them to determine the DV we need to resist on the Drain Resistance test, is that correct?

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-11-19/1526:38> »
It seems like that is the intent, yes.

Ritual Threshold x2 dice pool; hits (not net hits) determines the DV, minimum of 2.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-11-19/1531:52> »
OK, that makes sense now, thanks all!

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-11-19/2033:50> »
Crap.  Failing a ritual appears to have a different calculation.  Roll dice equal to the threshold (not x2) and use these hits.

I am guessing that is correct to be different because the spell was never completed, so it's thus less drain? 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-11-19/2213:40> »
seems reasonable that its less drain if it fails.