NEWS

Shooting at a drone or vehicle?

• 5 Replies

halflingmage

• Chummer
« on: <10-10-19/0100:35> »
Can anyone give me a page reference or quick rundown on how to attack a vehicle or drone?  I can find rules for firing vehicle-mounted weapons, for firing personal weapons from inside a vehicle and how to have a drone attack a person.  I can't find squat on how to shoot at a vehicle or drone. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-10-19/0138:54> »
Defense Rating description (p196 summary, as well as awfully located inside the ramming section only):
6. Vehicles and drones have an Attack Rating of
the driver’s Piloting skill + Sensor and a Defense
Rating of the driver’s Piloting + Armor.
(So their DR is not Body-based.)

And then a bit of vagueness in the rules (evasion uses Pilot as attribute but Piloting in the roll???), Autosofts section:
Evasion: This is used when a drone attempts to
evade being locked on to. A drone that is being
fired at would use its Piloting + Evasion to avoid
being hit. Attribute: Pilot
Maneuvering: This is the Piloting skill for the
specific drone (Not to be confused with Pilot Rating).
Attribute: Pilot
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-19/0213:06> »
Thanks for your replies to both of my threads.  Final (probably) question:  Can I cast a Power bolt spell( a physical direct combat spell)at a drone?  If it was a person the opposed test would be against Willpower+Intuition.  Can a drone/vehicle/barrier/random crap at stuffer shack be damaged with a Power Bolt, and if so what dies the target roll for the opposed test?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-10-19/0229:01> »
Honestly, I have no idea why Powerbolt is Physical yet Direct. I believe it should be Indirect, like Clout.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-10-19/0230:58> »
Ok thanks will add to the houserule folder :)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-10-19/0315:20> »
(Powerbolt was a physical direct combat spell in SR5 as well.....)

Reason why it is direct rather than indirect is because you are hitting the target from within with destructive mana (like magically microwaving a hot dog).

It is very similar to Manabolt (which is described as inflicting massive cellular die off from radiation or necrotizing fasciitis,
but without the continuing effects).

Both are quite aggressive ;-)

In SR6 this mean that the target oppose the magic test with Willpower + Intuition and the damage cannot be resisted at all.

Clout, however, is actually forming a shockwave of kinetic energy. This is resolved as a ranged attack (where the target oppose the magic test with Reaction + Intuition like a regular ranged attack and the damage is also resisted as a regular ranged attack with Body).

Generally speaking direct combat spells (Manabolt, Powerbolt, Stunbolt) are better to use against feeble minded targets that might have really strong physical attributes. Depending on your reading, unlike indirect combat spells it might also not be immediately obvious from where the direct combat spell originated.

You could also say that indirect combat spells (clout, acid, fire, ice, lightning) depend a lot more on having a high magic rating than direct combat spells do (since indirect combat spells come with base damage equal to magic/2 (round up)).