NEWS

Edge gain limit and its interaction with "free Edge"?

• 12 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« on: <10-04-19/1724:34> »
A character gain at max gain 2 Edge Per round.

What happens if my body 9 troll with the toughness fest is hit by a bull whip? And shot at from some laser equipped techno critter sharks?

Option A
troll is hit by a puny whip, he must resist 1 dmg. Thanks to his toughness feat he gains 1 bonus Edge that must be used om the rest, or it is lost. (1st Edge gained)

1,3 seconds lager the troll is hit by 2 lasers, thanks to his thermographic vision he gains 1 Edge from the first attack, thus hitting his 2 edge gain limit.  Hej would have gained one from the second laser shot, but thanks to his toughness quality that got wasted om a whip he doesnt.

option B. The toughness quality breaks the Edge gain limit, as IT can only be used for a specific test. The troll thus gained 3 Edge (one of Them was wasted on a whip though)

Option C, as option A, but the player can choose to not use his thoughness quality against the whip.

Option D ?

Same with a Lot of other Edge specific qualities

paw9000

• Newb
  • Can we make the blood flow up the walls?
« Reply #1 on: <10-04-19/1807:09> »
I don't know what the "correct"(tm) answer is, but I'm running with the option where any bonus edge that can only be used in a specific situation and doesn't carry over to be used on anything else, doesn't count against your 2 edge per turn limit.

If that's not the "correct"(tm) way to handle it I would be interested to know as well.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-07-19/0945:21> »
Unless the next big errata update proves me otherwise, Iīm almost 100% sure that the official(tm) answer from CGL will be the one with the worst possible interactions and implications  ::)

Which, in this case, would mean that the "Only usuable for this test" Bonus Edge still counts towards the Edge Limit. Not only would this mean that the perks offering you this kind of bonus will often turn out redundant: They might even be harmfull in certain cases, because they might block you from earning a "free" point of Edge that you could use anywere.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-07-19/1325:04> »
Setting aside whatever the errata might say, a question:

What would be the positives and negatives of a house rule that said something like "you may not carry over more than 2 Edge past the end of the round than you started with"?  Another way to phrase that might be "At the end of any round, your Edge cannot be greater than 7 and cannot be greater than the previous rounds Edge Total +2".

One practical negative is that it is not the easiest thing to track.  I can think of all kinds of ways to do it (for example, moving physical counters for Edge into different "bins" drawn/printed on a piece of paper) but it does generate some extra bookkeeping.  That being said, the current rule is not exactly a breeze to track either.  I don't want to overstate the difficulties with tracking Edge under the current rules, its not rocket science.  But I imagine in intense moments of play it could be very easy to make mistakes.

The big positive to my mind would be that it would resolve all the problems with "use only on this test" effects and would also allow a player to benefit from more than 2 Edge gains in a round.  Essentially you have to spend all but 2 of the Edge you earn in a round during that round.  I suspect it would make 1 or 2 point Edge spends on adjusting dice much more common. 
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1329:00> by skalchemist »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-19/1656:36> »
What would be the positives and negatives of a house rule that said something like ...
The only thing you are limiting here is the amount of edge you get to save up to the next combat turn.

You are basically suggesting unlimited edge gain within each combat turn

(it would for example be rules legal to use Anticipation and still save up to 2 edge each combat turn if I managed to gain up to 6 edge during the combat turn... maybe because I got cyber limbs stacked with with armor).

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-19/1740:26> »
What would be the positives and negatives of a house rule that said something like ...
The only thing you are limiting here is the amount of edge you get to save up to the next combat turn.

You are basically suggesting unlimited edge gain within each combat turn

(it would for example be rules legal to use Anticipation and still save up to 2 edge each combat turn if I managed to gain up to 6 edge during the combat turn... maybe because I got cyber limbs stacked with with armor).
Yeah, that's what I am suggesting.  What do you think the downsides would be.  Would PC's just be too powerful?  Strongly preference certain archetypes over others?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-19/1831:38> »
Setting aside whatever the errata might say, a question:

What would be the positives and negatives of a house rule that said something like "you may not carry over more than 2 Edge past the end of the round than you started with"?  Another way to phrase that might be "At the end of any round, your Edge cannot be greater than 7 and cannot be greater than the previous rounds Edge Total +2".

One practical negative is that it is not the easiest thing to track.  I can think of all kinds of ways to do it (for example, moving physical counters for Edge into different "bins" drawn/printed on a piece of paper) but it does generate some extra bookkeeping.  That being said, the current rule is not exactly a breeze to track either.  I don't want to overstate the difficulties with tracking Edge under the current rules, its not rocket science.  But I imagine in intense moments of play it could be very easy to make mistakes.

The big positive to my mind would be that it would resolve all the problems with "use only on this test" effects and would also allow a player to benefit from more than 2 Edge gains in a round.  Essentially you have to spend all but 2 of the Edge you earn in a round during that round.  I suspect it would make 1 or 2 point Edge spends on adjusting dice much more common. 

The biggest beneficiaries would be "tanky" characters with high defense values, because the Edge each character can earn through their own actions is limited by the Action economy, while the Edge that can be earned from getting attacked is theoretically infinite. Thatīs not necissarily a bad thing, though. In reality, the players and the GM will adapt their strategies to this just as they would adapt to a system that caps Edge gain per round more strictly. Players "abusing" this (if you actually want to call it that...) can be countered by using Grunt rules and Edge-denying perks. Itīs only powerfull if you actually manage to draw enemy fire while also splitting them up. I donīt think that this really more wonky and abuse-prone than, letīs say, completey ignoring a shitton of relevant combat factors because both combatants already hit the Edge gain ceiling for the round.

Itīs worth noting that what you are proposing is similar, but not completely identical to another suggestion thatīs often brought up: "Edge thatīs spend right on the Action that made you earn it doesnīt count towards the limit of 2 Edge gained per round". Iīd prefer this rule over limiting how much the Edge score can increase in the whole combat round: It adds a stronger incentive to use Edge on the tests that actually made you earn it, which in turn adds to verisimilitude. Itīs also quite easy to track, as you can simply "forget" every point of Edge that is spend right away and only need to count the Edge that is saved for later. And it obviously offers a solition to the original question of this thread  ;)

Final thought: If you go all the way down that slippery slope and say and completely ignore the limit, the only big thing that would change compared to the other 2 suggestions is that tanky characters can play some kind of risky "bait and punish" game by hoarding Edge from enemy fire to unleash counterattacks with Anticipate, Exploding sixes and other hard-hitting Edge uses. Donīt really see the problem here as well: Itīs a bit cheesy, but it can obvously be pretty fun to play and it can be countered by simply not taking the bait or by attacking in ways that donīt grant Edge.
« Last Edit: <10-08-19/0722:13> by Finstersang »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-08-19/0108:33> »
If Edge gain is unrestrained at all, it will greatly impact the Edge-generators vs others. Rigger would become a massive Edge-machine, for example: 1 Edge from Control Rig, 1 from AR, 1 from circumstance modifier 1, 1 from circumstance modifier 2, use combat drugs + hotsim and always use 2 attacks = 8 Edge per round, not even looking at edge gained from defense.

If you convert into '2 Edge gain max per Action, 2 Edge kept max per Turn', where you're encouraged to quickly spend Edge as temporary points and still are restrained in how much you can collect over time (so no repeated Anticipation and no Rigger insanity), I think things will become much more flashy and will heavily buff heavy-DR players their survival chances even when facing multiple attacks (so they can last against for example 15 grunts executing 3 attacks total). I would consider that far more cinematic gameplay, and it sounds awesome as long as you're fine with losing part of the grittiness.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-08-19/0717:07> »
If Edge gain is unrestrained at all, it will greatly impact the Edge-generators vs others. Rigger would become a massive Edge-machine, for example: 1 Edge from Control Rig, 1 from AR, 1 from circumstance modifier 1, 1 from circumstance modifier 2, use combat drugs + hotsim and always use 2 attacks = 8 Edge per round, not even looking at edge gained from defense.
Good spot, forgot about that dumbsterfire ::)

There might be some flaws in your example, though: I donīt know where you got the info that AR grants Edge, but even if that would be the case (which would be hella dumb, so Iīd be not too surprised if itīs actually RAW  :P), the Control Rig requires VR to grant that Edge. Also, you can only get one Edge from circumstance modifiers and one from the AR-DR comparison (or did you mean that by circumstance modifier 1+2?). In total, max. 3 Edge per Attack if all the Planets are correctly aligned. Itīs not like you donīt have to put some work into it to get those 2 additional points of Edge.

Still: Fair point, removing the Edge limit completely would also give a boost to riggers and double-attackers in general. However, this still only means that they would have the option to use some of the more costly Edge uses more often. Besides the non-errataīd Anticipation Attack and the Edge Healing Options (which, letīs face it, could really use some restrictions as well if you donīt want cheesy players drawing out fights against weaker opponents to heal themselfes up and other BS...), these are quite overestimated compared to just rerolling hits of the opposition. Itīs surely nice to have these options, but they donīt break the game IMO.

More importantly, Iīd say that Riggers are the most salient examples against the Edge limit as it works in the current RAW. A jumped-in Rigger with 2 Actions can safely earn the maximum 2 Edge through the VCR alone. Every modifier, every bought perk, every smart tactical choice that would grant them more Edge is worth nothing. That alone should have been a clear sign that something really doesnīt work out about that limit as it works RAW.

If you convert into '2 Edge gain max per Action, 2 Edge kept max per Turn', where you're encouraged to quickly spend Edge as temporary points and still are restrained in how much you can collect over time (so no repeated Anticipation and no Rigger insanity), I think things will become much more flashy and will heavily buff heavy-DR players their survival chances even when facing multiple attacks (so they can last against for example 15 grunts executing 3 attacks total). I would consider that far more cinematic gameplay, and it sounds awesome as long as you're fine with losing part of the grittiness.

If you ask me, something like this (as seen in the different posts above, the precise wording may vary, with some minimal differences in the mechanics) should not just be a houserule, it should be pushed through errata or at least added via "updated/advanced" Combat rules in the very next supplement. Grittiness doesnīt come from combat modifiers getting ironed out arbitrarily. And if a rule change really makes combat that more survivable for the PC, the GM can always counter that by ramping up the opposition.

And the very lowest common denominator for an errata should be that the "useable for this test only"-Edge is exempt from the limit, since the current RAW may actually lead to situations were these kind of bonuses are not only worthless, but work against you by preventing you from gaining free Edge that can be used anywhere.

The errata folks might have already spotted this problem as well. Itīs another questions if any substantial change to that precious, absolutely 100% flawless Edge system get the official blessings from CGL, though :P
« Last Edit: <10-08-19/1027:31> by Finstersang »

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-08-19/1020:41> »
Thanks for these replies, they are very helpful!

Finstersang, the proposal you mention (points spent on the same action are "forgotten) does simplify the bookkeeping a bit; I 'd have to think about that.  I sort of like the idea of saving up points during a round to spend at a later point in that round, but I see the issue you are raising.
« Last Edit: <10-08-19/1028:20> by skalchemist »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-08-19/1032:49> »
...I donīt know where you got the info that AR grants Edge...

I'm imagining that MC meant AR as in Attack Rating, not AR as in the Augmented Reality Matrix User Mode.  As opposed to DR only meaning Device Rating, right? Oops... hooray for completely different game terms using the same acronym!

And the very lowest common denominator for an errata should be that the "useable for this test only"-Edge is exempt from the limit, since the current RAW may actually lead to situations were these kind of bonuses are not only worthless, but work against you by preventing you from gaining free Edge that can be used anywhere.

Very astute observation. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-08-19/1101:49> »
...I donīt know where you got the info that AR grants Edge...

I'm imagining that MC meant AR as in Attack Rating, not AR as in the Augmented Reality Matrix User Mode.  As opposed to DR only meaning Device Rating, right? Oops... hooray for completely different game terms using the same acronym!

*Facepalm* Of course... And there I was, combing the book for an overlooked AR bonus  ::)

In that case however, itīs still just 3 Edge in the best possible circumstances, since there is only 1 additional Edge to be earned from other modifiers.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-09-19/1421:45> »
Thanks for the responses.
So maybe something along the lines of: each player can use 1 "use it on this stuff or it goes away"  beyond the limit of 2 edge pr. Round thingie? And the player may decide if its "active" or not each time

Thus the troll would be able to say : " lol wut? 1 damage from a whip? Nah I wont use my toughness quality on that $%@, I'll save it for the lasers that are sure to come."