NEWS

Is it possible to play a Technomancer Rigger?

• 4 Replies

JimmyAndreson

• Newb
« on: <03-09-21/0814:04> »
I’m new to Shadowrun, coming from DnD 5e and Lancer, and I want to play a Techno Rigger because I like the idea of being connected to your machines on a biological level, so I went online to look up the builds. So far, everything from 2018 and before says it’s not very good, to wait for the Rigger 5.0 book, but I’ve not found anything more recent. One forum said that the Techno Rigger is best for one single, tricked out machine rigging instead of rigging for multiple cheaper expendables with their Sprites.

Also, do you think I can achieve some level of Street Samurai-ness with this build? I want to be able to hold my own alongside the frontliners if at all possible.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-09-21/0822:26> »
Sure is, that's a pretty standard option. Now how to do so will depend on what edition and how open your GM is.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <03-09-21/1001:27> »
To address your last point about having some Street Sam -- not really. 

Can you have some shooting skill? Of course.  But a street samurai is heavily defined by heavily boosted initiative and damage soak, and that requires a lot of essence worth of 'ware, and that lowers your resonance score.  Plus ShadowRun characters (at least in 5th and 6th editions) work best when specialized at creation, and add breadth in play. 

You are already touching on two areas (technomancer and rigger), and trying to be good enough at a third area to be of significant help in a firefight without using your drones, it is too much.

As to the actual question, in 6th edition there are some current rule issues that limit it.  What is in the CRB does not fully implement some of the intended options.  Hopefully a future book fixes that.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <03-09-21/1008:10> »
Of course combat drugs can help with the heavily boosted stats, but yeah, you're spreading yourself rather thin like that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-09-21/1112:46> »
I think technomancers are in a good spot in SR6, however, when you posted this on reddit you used the SR5 flair...

Technomancer are typically hackers. They are not very good drone swarm operator riggers (lack of RCC) and they can't really get many points worth of chrome to be sturdy front line muscle like a street samurai. They can spend post chargen karma to gain the ability to jump into vehicles (like wheelman riggers, but without implants), but not directly out of chargen.

If you ever want to command multiple drones at the same time as well as sharing autosofts between them while still having the ability to do some hacking then you should consider investing 20 karma for the machinists quality.

If you want to chrome up and become a sturdy front line muscle like a street samurai while still having the ability to do some hacking then you should instead consider investing 20 karma into the Cyberadept quality.

You can't really do all three.