NEWS

Cyber: synthetic vs obvious

• 88 Replies

DeathEatsCurry

• Newb
« on: <12-10-13/1725:25> »
So after crunching with chargen for a while Im at an impasse.
Are synthetic limbs in any way worth it over obvious ones? Especially for arms the 7 capacity difference seems too much to give up. Maybe Im just too greedy, wanting to shove two sensors, armor and a shock hand into a single arm :p

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #1 on: <12-10-13/1740:37> »
If you're going to be a face or attempt to blend into "normal" society, you'll want the synthetic limbs. If you're going to be a Street Sam murder machine, go Obvious so you can pack more junk in there to kill things.

So, what's your role?

DeathEatsCurry

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-10-13/1820:49> »
Decker, which is what makes it tricky, at least a bit. As I'll be relying on it for combat (Trick it out + gun + shock hand), I want all the capacity I squeeze out of it, maybe put in some sensors for extra goodies. But as a decker, I'm often in a position where I don't want to stand out, be it in combat or in a social situation.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #3 on: <12-10-13/1848:11> »
One thing about synthetic skin, it doesn't heal and needs replacing all the time.  Not expensive, but annoying.

So says Hatchetman.  *Pours a 40 on the curb*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #4 on: <12-10-13/1857:07> »
Decker, which is what makes it tricky, at least a bit. As I'll be relying on it for combat (Trick it out + gun + shock hand), I want all the capacity I squeeze out of it, maybe put in some sensors for extra goodies. But as a decker, I'm often in a position where I don't want to stand out, be it in combat or in a social situation.

I'd lean towards synthetic then. Unless there are a bunch of things that you want in it, keeping a low profile seems like it might be the better bet, at least to me. You should be able to pack enough toys to keep things interesting with a normal looking limb and should try and leave the obvious stuff to the Street Sam.

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-10-13/1952:21> »
Even obvious limbs are completely fine in "normal" society.  Unless SR5 has drastically changed things, but I can't check the book right now, cyberlimbs are common for normal society.  Not restricted or forbidden, and single digit availability means they stand out very little.  Its 2075, not 2005, get with the times  :P.  And unless you need physical access to it, long sleeves on a shirt or coat cover up all but the hand.  And as AR gloves are an equally common accessory, having the entire skin of the arm covered is pretty easy.

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <12-10-13/2024:02> »
Even obvious limbs are completely fine in "normal" society.  Unless SR5 has drastically changed things, but I can't check the book right now, cyberlimbs are common for normal society.  Not restricted or forbidden, and single digit availability means they stand out very little.  Its 2075, not 2005, get with the times  :P.  And unless you need physical access to it, long sleeves on a shirt or coat cover up all but the hand.  And as AR gloves are an equally common accessory, having the entire skin of the arm covered is pretty easy.

This is exactly how i see it.

Plus: What Shadowrunner dosn't wear gloves?  ... you leave prints everywhere.
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <12-11-13/0401:13> »
A single limb doesn't draw that much attention, though they're going out of style with regrown limbs getting cheaper so will draw attention in some circles. Multiuple, however, will still draw unwanted attention, especially if they're used by a bulky street sam.

And yes, my character always wears gloves. Shock Gloves, that is. :P
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #8 on: <12-11-13/0407:07> »
Even obvious limbs are completely fine in "normal" society.

So are visible tattoos and piercing nowadays, but they still draw attention. In business circles they make you stand out like a black sheep. Officially, they are completely fine, but many people not only take note of them, they assume things about you. And remember you.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

martinchaen

« Reply #9 on: <12-11-13/0745:52> »
Let's not forget covering obvious limbs up, as Godwyn mentioned. The  book even states on page 456 that
"Obvious cyberlimbs: These implants are immediately recognizable as artificial limbs unless you cover them with clothing."

I'd wager than even a street sam with multiple obvious artificial limbs would be able to blend quite perfectly into environments like the "upper-crust society and the purist crowd", until they reach a cyberware scanner or metal detector, of course.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #10 on: <12-11-13/0817:42> »
OK, how about infiltrating pool-parties? :-P
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <12-11-13/1111:27> »
At the end of the day?  No runner is likely to be suited to every single job, save perhaps some adepts and mages.  Runners tend to be specialized, and what it feels like at this point, is that you're kinda trying to be ready for any job, anywhere, anyhow.  Find a niche, be extremely good at certain kinds of jobs, and those jobs will find you.  Want to have the full kit and kaboodle with your cyberlimbs?  Go obvious, cover it with clothing, and don't try to infiltrate pool parties except as a chaperone who stands there in black suit and tie, with black gloves.  Want to be a face?  Might be better off leaving the obvious cyber to your street sam.  Want to be a decker?  Major in decking (its really not one of those roles you should just dabble in) and don't try to take more than one 'minor' if you take a minor at all.  I've... been learning some hard lessons lately about trying to do everything lately myself, so trust me, I feel the pain.  Aside from that, a lot of those things that take capacity can also be installed in a meat arm for some essence, and that very nicely cuts the confusion on 'synthetic' or 'cyber.'  Given that, it might be best to leave the cyberlimbs to the guy that needs the extra boxes of physical track as part of their job (like the troll street samurai who expects he will have all the bullets fired at him forever.  Plenty of guards forget the rule of geek the mage when they see an 8 foot tall mass of metahumanity coming at them.) 

martinchaen

« Reply #12 on: <12-11-13/1112:41> »
One word; wetsuit.

"Oh, I have sensitive skin and I just get cold so quickly. Why yes, even when the sun is out and it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, it's a terrible affliction, but the wetsuit really does help..."

*rolls Con*

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-11-13/1357:53> »
*rolls Con*
Don't forget the lower Limits because of lower Essence ;)

with a lower Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <12-11-13/1443:05> »
Even obvious limbs are completely fine in "normal" society.

So are visible tattoos and piercing nowadays, but they still draw attention. In business circles they make you stand out like a black sheep. Officially, they are completely fine, but many people not only take note of them, they assume things about you. And remember you.

I don't know where you live, but I know where I am tattoos are not "accepted."  The people I know with tattoo sleeves are not allowed to wear short sleeves to work.  That is not accepted.  Not being illegal is not the same thing as being accepted.  Many of them would lose their jobs if they showed up with them visible. 

The first person in SR to receive a true cyberlimb was a professional violinist if I recall.  Cyberlimbs have had a degree of acceptance in society often because of what they represent, technological triumph over debilitating injury.  Being noticed but accepted and being unnoticed and ignored are different things.  Sure having a cyberlimb may make one slightly more memorable, but is it really going to be any more so than a 6+ charisma face?  That makes them on par with the most attractive people on the planet.  That stands out, a lot.