NEWS

No future rocker campaign 6e

• 4 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« on: <07-14-19/0947:10> »
Reader up on rockers in 6e. It seems pretty damn hard just to have a average performance. It’s two con+Charisma rolls multiply the successes. If it’s a band you average successes among members.

You multiply the gross hit results from the two tests. Seems fine as a mechanic but to get a average result you need basically two 5 hit rolls. That’s 15 dice average. To get a good enough result to move up the ranks you need 97 so basically two 10 hit results. Which seems impossible with a group unless everyone is averaging close to 30 die pools.

It’s the performance specialization of con so maybe they start with 8 dice in skill and 6 charisma.(maybe agility for instrumental parts of band) but holy crap just not to suck you need like superhuman levels of ability and that seems weird.

The 97 result needed to improve would make sense to me for like the final bit of moving from star to mega star type thing but from moving from unknown to small following it seems a bit much.

Is there something I’m missing?

As an aside con covers not just the performance but composing the music, the narrowing down of skills has some funky results. I’m guessing there is no artisan skill anymore. How they kind of make it make sense is while it uses con without then specialization the threshold is 2 higher. It kind of works. But the wording implied this skill would be used for any creations.  And while I can see con to music con to baked goods seems a bit much.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-14-19/1003:21> »
Side question. Anyone open the envelope?  I don’t want to break the tape out of stupid don’t damage my books feels. What’s inside?

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <07-14-19/2313:05> »
I do admit, I love the idea of a band of Showrunners doing a new gig every week. But if those are the thresholds, how would you get better at it? Rehearsals giving you Edge to spend on performances?
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-15-19/0045:07> »
I do admit, I love the idea of a band of Showrunners doing a new gig every week. But if those are the thresholds, how would you get better at it? Rehearsals giving you Edge to spend on performances?

There are penalties for not rehearsing. I didn’t see a bonus for extra rehearsal but that seems logical.

It does seem like while it’s two tests it’s separated. Like step one test to write the album, song, concert or whatever. And you might have a bunch of those. When you perform you pick from your pile of performances and I’d guess usually pick your highest rated. So a lucky roll of 10 hits you’ll play that set to death. And then you are just hoping for another lucky roll. Still 10 hits is outside the range of even luck for most dice pools, that’s crazy fluke. And while I didn’t see a hard coded rule for it presumedly there is a limit too how many times you can do the same set, one hit wonders only last so long.

maybe when we have the full sr6 rules it will make more sense. I kind of wish I had the 5e no future to compare it to, get a idea of the rules worked in 5e

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <07-15-19/0958:58> »
I've not downloaded the updated version yet, so I do have the 5th edition version of the pdf (and I'll back it up under a different name to try and hold onto it).  I don't have it with me but I do recall taking a quick look through the numbers when I first read it, and concluding that starting characters would have trouble doing more than club level gigs -- especially with the averaging of results. 

I think I would have preferred a teamwork model (obviously target numbers would have to have gone up), where the band adds dice to the front-person's pool under normal teamwork rules (and maybe with some flexibility on what they could use to add those dice).  I do have a PC doing magical entertainment for the casual bar band of a key NPC and it would be fun to actually apply some rolls to performances sometime instead of just waving my hands about it, but already I'd be considering adjusting the rules to actually use his magic, not just performance.  Maybe.