NEWS

SR6 FAQ

• 55 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <08-13-20/1849:37> »
Anyhow, when I personally run, non-combat dispels are only going to happen as a result of failed warnings, failed license checks, or shocking player stupidity.

Oh, agreed. 

You absolutely have a point about the possibility of a spell being dispelled "just because it's easy to do it" is not a nice thing for a GM to do.  But if it makes sense in the context of what's going on?  Well... it's easy to rip down!

Its one of the few things a security mage can do from the astral, so I'd see it as commonplace.

Yeah.  I'm sure that in the Sixth World there are "no magic allowed on the premises" signs that are as common as "no weapons allowed" signs.  For all the same reasons.

That would be my assumption. I mean I'd think they'd first just ask you to leave or stop the spell in most environments, secure enough ones might start off with a dispel.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #46 on: <08-14-20/0306:11> »
Yeah.  I'm sure that in the Sixth World there are "no magic allowed on the premises" signs that are as common as "no weapons allowed" signs.  For all the same reasons.
*Scribbles down enthousiastically for future reference*
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #47 on: <08-14-20/1216:44> »
Another thought for consideration is martial arts. Currently they cannot be learned at chargen due to the CRB's karma spending stipulations, but I really think that is awfully silly, and we should alter that to include martial arts and techniques either via errata or for SRM specifically through FAQ.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #48 on: <08-16-20/1743:44> »
Lormyr:

I agree, in the two games I am running (adults and for my son {14-17})   I allow martial arts in Chargen.

I believe/think it's just not knowing what is happening in the future.

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <08-16-20/1837:28> »
Another thought for consideration is martial arts. Currently they cannot be learned at chargen due to the CRB's karma spending stipulations, but I really think that is awfully silly, and we should alter that to include martial arts and techniques either via errata or for SRM specifically through FAQ.

Martial Arts didn't exist when the CRB was written.  As they contain no restriction on when you can get them I think it's fair to presume they're char gen legal. 

I would also presume whenever Adept Ways gets re-printed they would be char gen legal unless they have an initiation requirement or something. 

Expecting CRB Errata every time a new thing comes along just isn't practical.  If a new thing has some kind of requirement or acquisition restriction I would expect that to be explicitly stated in the rules for acquiring that new thing. 

Which is a bizzaro double standard as stuff in the CRB I consider excluded unless listed.  But there isn't any way we're getting CRB Errata with every splat book.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <08-16-20/1849:21> »

Martial Arts didn't exist when the CRB was written.  As they contain no restriction on when you can get them I think it's fair to presume they're char gen legal. 

I would also presume whenever Adept Ways gets re-printed they would be char gen legal unless they have an initiation requirement or something. 

Expecting CRB Errata every time a new thing comes along just isn't practical.  If a new thing has some kind of requirement or acquisition restriction I would expect that to be explicitly stated in the rules for acquiring that new thing. 

Which is a bizzaro double standard as stuff in the CRB I consider excluded unless listed.  But there isn't any way we're getting CRB Errata with every splat book.

I think there is a view that "Splat is the new Errata"

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #51 on: <08-16-20/1933:36> »

That is pretty much the crux of it, as that is the primary way most people handle.

We don't need errata though, if the authors and line editor just use a bee's dick of forethought.

"Martial Arts and Techniques may also be purchased during character generation using your starting Karma.".

One sentence inclusion fix. Tailor as needed per specific instance.

Edit Update: And it turns out a bee's dick of forethought was employed and I just flatly missed it! "Acquiring a martial art happens during character creation or advancement; styles are purchased with Karma, much as qualities are.".
« Last Edit: <08-21-20/0653:33> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #52 on: <09-16-20/1528:23> »
Hey, really great discussion, and it's certainly great to know that the FAQ has been mostly well received by the agents who have access.

I've read over the thread and am cross referencing with other stuff to see if we can work in your various criticisms (very constructive, thank you all for that).

For example... Cultured Bioware is, as far as I'm concerned, copypasta from the 5th Edition FAQ... if the team doesn't see an issue besides (well it's always been that way), I'm happy to to pull that.

Also will clarify the buying services questions.

I think Skill Bonus caps are gonna stay as they are for now, unfortunately... but I like the 'inelegant' fix of +4 being the total after negatives are taken into account... we'll see.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #53 on: <09-17-20/0605:46> »
Cool, look forward to seeing what you guys do with it.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <09-17-20/0946:08> »
I am curious as to why Missions choose to restrict 'ware grades (Beta, Delta, and Used Cultured) when the 6th edition CRB doesn't.  If it was a carry-over from 5th or if there was a specific concern that the team wanted to address?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #55 on: <09-18-20/1111:43> »
Great point Hobbes. I personally don't see a compelling reason to go that route either.