NEWS

Court of Shadows and Immortal Elves

• 90 Replies

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #75 on: <12-05-16/1650:03> »
A little threadmancy to point to Shadowrun: Anarchy. There are a few adventures which will carry some weight with this group, I'd wager. Check and Seelie it for yourself.

Oh, you tease, now I have to get someone to have a look for me. But I can already see in the table of contents, it's "Un-Seeled Fate", isn't it?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #76 on: <12-06-16/0705:31> »
Oh, you tease, now I have to get someone to have a look for me. But I can already see in the table of contents, it's "Un-Seeled Fate", isn't it?

I just read it and... indeed, tons of great stuff in there. Including, at long last...

[spoiler]some clues about Aina's fate![/spoiler]

It also makes a great introductory adventure to bring players into the world of Court of Shadows.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #77 on: <12-06-16/1136:07> »
Whatever are you talking about? I didn't see her name anywhere...
 ;)

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <12-06-16/1521:18> »
 ;)

Joke aside, I'm now wondering if

[spoiler]"Gwyn" refers to Harlequin, or Gwynplayne, or someone else altogether...[/spoiler]
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #79 on: <12-06-16/1530:31> »
I am going to have to let that one sit a spell. Although that name has appeared in SR before. An eBook if I recall...

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <12-06-16/1551:54> »
I am going to have to let that one sit a spell. Although that name has appeared in SR before. An eBook if I recall...

[spoiler]Lord Gwyn, the ruler of the Unseelie Court mentioned in Aetherology? Mmm, curiouser and curiouser... :)[/spoiler]

edit: by the way, I wonder if the Ashen Mirror could in fact be

[spoiler]Lyllaria's Mirror, an artefact described in Earthdawn. Lyllaria's Mirror had similar powers, was stolen from Wyrm Wood, and was once used to hold an Horror prisoner -- even if the Horror itself is gone (else the mirror wouldn't work), its lingering influence might explain why the runners will feel sick after staring into it.[/spoiler]

Did I mention how much I love this game?  ;D
« Last Edit: <12-06-16/1617:27> by Marzhin »
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #81 on: <12-06-16/1743:24> »

[spoiler]Lord Gwyn, the ruler of the Unseelie Court mentioned in Aetherology? Mmm, curiouser and curiouser... :)[/spoiler]

Harlequin, what did you do?
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #82 on: <12-07-16/0311:06> »

;)

Joke aside, I'm now wondering if

[spoiler]"Gwyn" refers to Harlequin, or Gwynplayne, or someone else altogether...[/spoiler]

edit: by the way, I wonder if the Ashen Mirror could in fact be

[spoiler]Lyllaria's Mirror, an artefact described in Earthdawn. Lyllaria's Mirror had similar powers, was stolen from Wyrm Wood, and was once used to hold an Horror prisoner -- even if the Horror itself is gone (else the mirror wouldn't work), its lingering influence might explain why the runners will feel sick after staring into it.[/spoiler]

Did I mention how much I love this game?  ;D

Lord Gwyn ruler of the unseelie ( as per Aetherology ) is quite likely based on Gwyn ap Nudd, Welsh psychopomp, ruler of Annwn ( the otherworld ), leader of the wild hunt ( one of them at least ) and ruler of the Tylwyth Teg ( Fair folk ), atleast that would be my guess. Also note the similarity of the Welsh Nudd to the Irish Nuada ( a name that should resonate somewhat in regards to the Seelie ). However i don't see that person having anything to Do with Harlequin, though i dont have the book myself, so i can't be sure of course.

Interesting idea about the mirror btw. I hope they release this adventure as a stand alone pdf at some point as i'm not much for having to buy the Whole rulebook i'm never  going to use just for the adventure.
« Last Edit: <12-07-16/0452:05> by Rosa »

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <12-07-16/0551:01> »
However i don't see that person having anything to Do with Harlequin, though i dont have the book myself, so i can't be sure of course.

Yeah I had forgotten about Aetherology when I wrote that first post, so when I read about someone named Gwyn looking for

[spoiler]a mysterious, unnamed, black-skinned, white-haired elf :p[/spoiler]

I assumed Gwyn was short for Gwynplayne and therefore could refer to Harlequin as well since people might not know the difference between them.
(Groucho Marx)

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #84 on: <12-07-16/1837:55> »
Okay, I had a look.

So, I noticed they have an impressive oak tree in a important-sounding ("Great") hall ...

Also this must be the first time Alachia is mentioned by name since Second Edition (unless she is also mentioned in Court of Shadows). At first I thought she is this Lady Thisbe, the Queen in Exile, but apparently yet another queen. Adding to that Aina as the Ebon Queen—who made her a queen anyway?

Lyllaria's Mirror would be an interesting connection. (BTW: Lyllaria was also an Elven Queen, though not of Wyrm Wood.) It's a good fit. Using the mirror actually causes strain. "Ashen" doesn't really fit the physical description of the mirror or its frame, but that could have changed. Let's assume it is the same mirror for a moment: In Earthdawn without weaving threads to it the viewing range was rather limited. So would that imply the Ebon Queen is imprisoned nearby? Of course it's not defined how the ranks of magical items translate to Shadowrun and who knows what "near" really means on a metaplane.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #85 on: <03-11-17/0921:52> »
This is relevant to the interests of this thread. In particular, the Aligning the Court and the people sections...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/207193/Shadowrun-Book-of-the-Lost-A-Shadowrun-Campaign-Book?src=newest_recent

cotilla

• Newb
« Reply #86 on: <03-11-17/0934:04> »
How come this is the first time I hear about this? Why hasn't www.shadowruntabletop.com/blog/ been updated in over 3 months?
« Last Edit: <03-11-17/0935:41> by cotilla »

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <03-15-17/1119:00> »
This is relevant to the interests of this thread. In particular, the Aligning the Court and the people sections...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/207193/Shadowrun-Book-of-the-Lost-A-Shadowrun-Campaign-Book?src=newest_recent

Indeed! Some info on Alachia, and some hints about Lord Gwyn's reasons to seek the Ebon Queen and what he wants to do with her.
(Groucho Marx)

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #88 on: <05-10-17/1857:09> »
A quick side note to add to the earlier discussion. I noticed this exchange in the Voices From The Past short story in Harlequin's Back (1994) (here is a copy):

The figure stared at Harlequin. "I expected more from the last Knight of the Crying Spire."

Harlequin stared back at the figure. "The Northern Islands are gone. Forgotten dust of a forgotten world."

Probably the same "Northern Islands" introduced in the Tir na nOg sourcebook (1993). Also since Crying Spire is thought to be connected to Sereatha I wonder if this implies that the Northern Islands have at one point been located in the Western Kingdoms or maybe been settled by refugees from there.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #89 on: <05-11-17/1730:15> »
I am very surprised more people aren't talking about Book of the Lost yet... Especially the "Aligning the Court" section... well, that and the characters...