NEWS

New Player: Cybered Out Street Sam help?

• 5 Replies

Shelbeast

• Newb
« on: <07-03-19/1508:50> »
So I'm a new player to 5E and I'm about to start up a game with some friends. I want to try to create a cybered to the gills character based around Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Basically, full body replacement. All limbs and torso, with most of the skull. High agility and speed, good with firearms and melee, and possibly with the chameleon suit type stuff. Is this possible?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-03-19/1544:07> »
So I'm a new player to 5E and I'm about to start up a game with some friends. I want to try to create a cybered to the gills character based around Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Basically, full body replacement. All limbs and torso, with most of the skull. High agility and speed, good with firearms and melee, and possibly with the chameleon suit type stuff. Is this possible?

It's possible, sure.  There are rules for cybertorsos and cyberskulls. There's even rules for replacing your body from the waist down with a cyber centaur body.

However unless some tweaks are made to the campaign, it may not be possible to go full cyborg when limited to a starting character's resources.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shelbeast

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-03-19/1548:16> »

It's possible, sure.  There are rules for cybertorsos and cyberskulls. There's even rules for replacing your body from the waist down with a cyber centaur body.

However unless some tweaks are made to the campaign, it may not be possible to go full cyborg when limited to a starting character's resources.
[/quote]

So how would you make the character? As close as possible?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-03-19/1611:36> »
Well, I'm not familiar with Metal Gear so I don't know what capabilities are dealbreakers if they're missed.

If you're going to stick with character generation rules by the book, you're likely going to have to both pick Resources A as well as some sort of essence saving quality (Biocompatability: Cyberware from Chrome Flesh would probably be ideal), or spending extra on at least one limb so it doesn't cost the full 1.0 points.  6 "limbs" (2 arms, 2 legs, torso, skull) costs 6.0 essence otherwise, which is invalid.  You must retain at least 0.01 essence or you're dead.

That gets past the first threshold: literally surviving the essence hit.

The next problem is less severe: being able to trick out all those limbs.  Even at resources A, you simply can't afford to.  Particularly so if you took one or more limbs at alpha grade to save on essence.  But again depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you can put off upgrading and buying add-ons for your many cyberlimbs to post-chargen as you gain more money for doing jobs.  Ever read Alita? Or see the movie?  You can START play with what's basically a full body replacement, but you can't START play with a Martian Berzerker body :D  You'll have to start with something far less capable and work your way up.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-03-19/1630:07> »
There is an alternative that may appeal to you:

There are rules for playing A.I.s, and your A.I. character could inhabit a fully robotic body as opposed to an amalgam of cyberlimbs that approximates a body.  There are pros and cons to either approach... the primary advantage of playing an A.I. is you don't have to worry how are you going to enhance your initiative score when you're out of essence.  The primary advantage of playing something more akin to a Robocop (despite having a robotic body, there's still SOME biological person left in there) is you're avoiding the A.I. rules which are... very awkward.  I don't recommend them for new players (or new GMs), but they do exist.  If you're a sharp tack you still should be able to master them :)

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-19/0328:32> »
MGR:R Raiden is too high tech for a starting runner, mostly because Essence is a thing. Cyberlimbs are a bit too taxing on both Ess and $ budgets, so I think that getting synthetic muscle replacement, dermal armor, and metal bone lacing instead is a good starting point. You'll also need a very potent initiative booster. I'm in a rush now but gonna make a sample character later tomorrow.

Update: my PC died. Gonna resume as soon as I'm able to.

Update 2: I will not be able to help in reasonable time; IRL problems keep piling up on me. I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: <07-22-19/0321:57> by ZeldaBravo »
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*