NEWS

Discord - Shadowrun Seattle 2080 - Worth the time?

• 2 Replies

Todd from Chaosium

• Newb
« on: <08-06-19/2356:40> »
What is your experience with these guys?

Mine was less than sterling. Submitted two characters for approval: one applauded for stretching the rules a little too far, the other accepted. But the non-welcoming attitude toward newbies to both their server and Discord in general was rather chafing.

As was being banned for nothing. The strongest challenge I made to the way they do things was to suggest pinning an unlisted rule I had broken (posting images to the #drafts channel). Perhaps they take polite posts in formal style as snarky or something. I would have at least expected their community to explain a ban. Or better, offer a warning for whatever behavior that offended them.

Just to establish my credentials, I am the Director of Organized Play for Chaosium, makers of Call of Cthulhu. "Todd from Chaosium" on Discord.

I certainly don't think that this server does a good job of representing Catalyst. Hopefully none of them are Catalyst Demo Team members if they are this prickly about newbies trying to get a taste of Shadowrun online.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-07-19/0044:47> »
To the best of my knowledge, it's a purely fan-run enterprise. I can say for sure it's got no official affiliation with CGL's organized play. There's the potential that Catalyst Demo Agents are involved with it unofficially, of course. But judging by your experience with it, I'd hope not.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-19/0808:19> »
Considering it's the first I've even heard of the channel, I don't think there is an official Catalyst presence. However, what Demo agents do in their free time...