NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #270 on: <11-05-13/1059:07> »
As Mirikon just stated, I'd highly advise reading Corporate Intrigue; it has some interesting information for sure.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #271 on: <11-05-13/1207:06> »
And you are talking about a major - major - loss of what-makes-you-you.  Injuries have been known to result in essence loss, with no cyber replacement required; it's just part and parcel of how essence works, which is meant to be left somewhat vague.  Essence is psychological, spiritual, psychic, however you want to put it - and getting permanently scooped out of your body is going to make a major lasting impression, no matter what implants you do or do not have.

Remember, kids, the numbers describing the game - especially in Shadowrun - are not the entire story.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #272 on: <11-05-13/1234:59> »
And then you are talking about some place where your self can hide away untouched, connected to this world only by that small piece of living being still inside of your ware. Apply first law of thermodynamics and you get something pretty interresting...
Awakened beings exist in more than single plane. if you kill the mage, what happens with this awakened part of himself? Yes , you can say it disappears into the mana static background. OR. one can think this awakened part of the sould goes somewhere deep. And from time to time, it can find its way back and make the connection to the world of flesh once again. We have seen Shedim before. Now...how is this Sybil virus different? TMs resonance pattern possibly fades away. But maybe it just slips away, maybe to Divided City, and sometimes it finds its way back to the world of flesh, and, using nanites, it anchores for long enought time to prepare vessel for itself to "inhabit".

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #273 on: <11-05-13/1959:42> »
Remember, kids, the numbers describing the game - especially in Shadowrun - are not the entire story.
As I've had to tell quite a few players, "Read the fluff, it is important."

I remember hearing about a gamer that got a BAR in a Noir game awhile back, and thought he could hide it under a jacket.  Not a trenchcoat, a regular jacket.  All he had read are the stats.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #274 on: <11-05-13/2050:56> »
What's a BAR?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #275 on: <11-05-13/2056:44> »
What's a BAR?

Old firearm.  Assault rifle, if I remember right.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #276 on: <11-05-13/2119:29> »
BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle. WWII era Battle Rifle.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #277 on: <11-05-13/2141:30> »
What's a BAR?
Old firearm.  Assault rifle, if I remember right.
Close, it was a precursor to an assault rifle.  It was a light machine gun, magazine-fed.
BAR - Browning Automatic Rifle. WWII era Battle Rifle.
More LMG than Rifle.  The Bren is another example of the same idea.  A magazine-fed (rather than belt-fed) lightweight weapon that could be carried by a fire unit.

This was in the bad old days when anything had to be water-cooled to be considered reliable.  Even so, swapping barrels in battle was a good idea, or else it could, and would, catch on fire.

In other words, something you can barely hide inside of a van.  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #278 on: <11-05-13/2204:28> »
Unless, of course, you modified it like Bonnie and Clyde did. After all, the BAR was their weapon of choice.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #279 on: <11-06-13/0033:47> »
Unless, of course, you modified it like Bonnie and Clyde did. After all, the BAR was their weapon of choice.

You could say they were raising the bar...  ;D :-X
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #280 on: <11-06-13/0454:33> »
♫ Used to drive a tank and shoot a B.A.R. ♫
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #281 on: <11-06-13/1156:49> »
Please, gentlemen, stick with the topic...

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #282 on: <11-06-13/1325:41> »
Please, gentlemen, stick with the topic...
Seriously, these puns are un-bar-able.

Anyway, I guess if the Rose Garden keeps enough essence, that'd explain why Rox in a Box hasn't gone insane from cyberpsychosis or other mental defects, like full cyborgs suffer. But I'm not a big fan of the idea of a brain in a jar keeping their humanity inspite of just being a brain in a jar.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #283 on: <11-06-13/1350:48> »
Brain in a jar in UV zone possibly won`t be able to tell you the difference between being alive or just virtualy alive

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #284 on: <11-06-13/2031:59> »
You think so?  A UV zone (so to speak) means your brain essentially shifts into perceiving the world in direct reference to what it feels/knows its body is - which in part means what it's payed essence for.  But if a TM brain knows at all that it's been decorpulated (hmmm, what IS the term ...), then there's going to be some serious issues, even in UV.  And because the technical expression of SR's rules is not the 'reality' of SR, even if a TM was de-bodied in a UV zone, they may - probably 'will' - get that strong sense that something is wrong, unbalanced.  (Because even if you're running Hot VR, your back-brain knows the rest of your body is there. Major, major penalties to act/react in the Real, sure, but still ...)

All in all, I'd keep the ruling that turning someone, even a TM, into a jarhead is going to drop their essence like a rock.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.