NEWS

[6e] Animal Control

• 7 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <06-17-21/1659:38> »
CRB pg 221.
"The critter may control a number of small animals (cats, rats, etc.) equal to its Charisma x 5, a number of larger animals (wolves, lions, bears, etc.) equal to its Charisma, or a single appropriate paranormal critter".

I'm unclear whether to read this as how many targets the power can affect, or how many animals may be kept under control at one time, similar to how many spirits a summoner may control at once.  It's a sustained power, and the critter can have several sustained powers going at once.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-17-21/2212:01> »
Powers aren't like spells where you can "cast" multiple iterations of them.  Animal Control is binary: it's off, or it's on.  You don't have multiple instances of Animal Control running.

There's nothing more to it than what you already quoted.  The critter with animal control can control:

Small animals (cats, rats, birds, etc) = Charisma X 5

-or-

Larger animals (wolves, bears, lions etc) = Charisma

-or-

Paracritters (Barghests, Hell Hounds, etc) = 1

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-18-21/1222:07> »
Except they *can* have multiple instances of the same power running.

pg 221: "Critters may sustain a number of powers (or multiple uses of the same power) at one time equal to their Magic."

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-18-21/1518:15> »
Touche.

An interesting catch.

Well, if you want to apply that literally, then a critter can pick ( <= 5 x CHA small animals or <= CHA large animals or 1 paracrittter ) a total of <= MAGIC times, if it's not sustaining any other powers.

If you think that's a bit too much, then say Animal Control is binary and excepted from the "multiple uses of same power" rule.

Either way, I'd also say that even though the power doesn't list any resistance test, I'd grant one whenever I felt like it.  Especially when used on hostile paracritters.  The description of the power makes it look like it's not really meant to be a "kill them, my minions!" mass form of control thoughts... it's more making animals do things for you in other-than-combat contexts.  of course, YMMV.
« Last Edit: <06-18-21/1522:57> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-18-21/1913:15> »
I say the limits on how many animals it can control is a total because it doesn't say "per use" or any translation there of.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <06-19-21/0231:50> »
Its powers like this that make Devil Rats and Demon Rats a threat.
You're not just dealing wuth a large rat: You're dealing witb every rat on (and in) the block!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-19-21/0448:32> »
I'm unclear whether to read this as how many targets the power can affect
The power affect up to charisma x 5 small animals within line of sight. Or up to charisma medium animals within line of sight. Or 1 paranormal critter that is not sapient and is within line of sight of the critter that is using this power.

or how many animals may be kept under control at one time
The critter can only sustain up to magic number of powers and each application of this specific power that the critter sustain have the limitations outlined above. Orders will only last for a maximum of charisma minutes after which the critter need to establish line of sight to issue a new order. 

If the critter spend some time and effort to establish line of sight to several different groups of animals, ordering them to gather up at locations where it establish direct line of sight to each group of animals every few minutes or so, issue new commands to them every few minutes or so and is not sustaining any other power except animal control then it is, theoretically at least, possible for one critter with this power to simultaneously have control of current magic x charisma rating x 5 small animals at the same time.

how many spirits a summoner may control at once. 
You cannot have active spirits whose combined Force is greater than (summoner’s Magic x 3) at any one time. Services can take shorter or longer time depending on what the magician asks of the spirit - but if we assume that the magician issue commands that will take some time to finish the theoretical maximum number of force 1 spirits a summoner may control at any given time is equal to current magic rating x 3.
« Last Edit: <06-19-21/0456:24> by Xenon »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-19-21/2226:24> »
I say the limits on how many animals it can control is a total because it doesn't say "per use" or any translation there of.

That would be my reading as well.  Otherwise a Force 2 Beast spirit that you happen to get 6 net hits on is going to round up a squad of Piasma Bears.  HTR?  Yeah, whatever, this is bear country....