NEWS

A little confused on Changeling Quallities and BP cost.

• 144 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #135 on: <02-02-13/2346:45> »
Yeah, that's sort of my point why I strongly disagree with the there should be no rules type arguments.

Or rules should be loosened only for RP reasons.  The rules exist for a reason and it's to provide constraints.

If you're a GM in a small local group with good players (and remember in a lot of areas playerbase is severely limited)... rule 0 is always in play... if you feel it's for RP reasons and not going to cause an issue... more power to you.

However, generally problems tend to arise from large disparities in ability...

If you have the classic indestructible powergamed troll tank who needs an anti-tank gun just to get a few points stun damage on him after soak...  (normally these are fomori with arcane arrestor and their own personal BGC so magic is a no go either).

When you've pulled the gauss out of the toybox because even a panther isn't a threat... how do you avoid the HTR who just flattened the tank also using it on Mr Squishy the RP maniac?  From an RP perspective... there's very little reason for the HTR guy not to.

On the flipside, though, houserules on the subject do become fair discussion in a rules thread after RAW has been established.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #136 on: <02-05-13/1639:38> »
I honestly can't say that even Musashi's tactics were worth mentioning.

So, he managed to live into old age by pure luck, did he?

Yeah, the guy only won over 60 duels vs other Samurai, arguably some of the deadliest warriors in human history, often by using broad-spectrum outside-the-box tactics that redefined the nature of the conflict  in his own favor.

What could anyone possibly hope to learn from that?

(A Way to Victory being the "only decent English translation"...)

On topic: The text makes it pretty clear that SURGE III is meant to be a pretty significant impairment. Obviously, this is between the GM and the player, but a SURGE III Changeling shouldn't, as written, be able to just blend in with society. Even if the theme of the character was that they were nondescript, it would be manifested in such a way as to be seriously inconvenient to the character (people forgetting they know you, losing your place in line at the DMV, etc...*Grin*).

Don't get me wrong, I love Changelings. You can do some pretty amazing things with them, but it should come at a cost. My favorite Runner is a SURGE III Changeling - he has some awesome abilities, but eventually his bizarre afflictions will catch up to him.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #137 on: <02-05-13/2010:00> »
Right, and it's easy to rack up a +8 to describe you as a changeling, especially if you go for an animal theme. I can't recall off hand what the dice pool bonus to track you down is though.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #138 on: <02-05-13/2015:06> »
I'll admit that I do try more for the minor outward appearance changes and most things being internalized, but that's mainly from my dislike of playing things that look straight up off-the-wall and cracked out.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #139 on: <02-05-13/2019:40> »
My GM is so out of his gourd about changelings it's ... aggravating. I can't even begin to explain to him how changelings aren't as over the top OP as he imagines them to be. Meanwhile he's got a crew of adepts and a technomancer that lives in a coccoon on wheels and a gungho army guy that walks around in milspec, and he's afraid of it turning into freakrun...
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #140 on: <02-05-13/2309:39> »
JoeNapalm:
We were talking about strategy... not tactics.  Being generous we'll say he deals with 'tactical doctrine' which is only one element of strategy but nowhere near the entirety of it.  And his tactical doctrine revolves primarily around the proper use of the sword.

Musashi was a duelist at best... not a general.   Despite his delusions of 'strategist'.    He deals almost completely within the realms of swordfighting schools.   Any application outside of this is practically accidental or the result of 'reverse engineering' his swordfighting doctrines to more general forms such as those.

In the book itself... he states...
Masters of the long sword are called strategists.   He then goes on to call others archers, halbadiers, etc... to him the entirety of it is the delusions of grandeur of a swordsman.   In the entire work, strategist is synonymous with swordsman.

So yes, disagree, and disagree quite strongly about the greatness of Musashi as an author of a primary treatise on Strategy.

Your point about the duels... doesn't establish him as a strategist.  It establishes him as a swordsman of note and a duelist.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #141 on: <02-05-13/2319:37> »
Indeed, strategy and tactics are two very different things.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #142 on: <02-05-13/2334:43> »
Actually 'tactical doctrine' has long been recognized as an important element of strategy.   It's simply one part of strategy and not the whole.

Though most people do not understand the critical differences between tactics and strategy.

Practices and standard 'approved' tactics which serve your strategic goals.  An example of a tactical doctrine is the 'no shoot' orders imposed on troops in Afghan (please do not editorialize on this topic).   The tactical doctrine serves a larger strategic goal.   Another prime example is a single school of martial arts vs another single school... one may emphasize throws & binds, another kicks and strikes, another a particular weapon (such as the sword).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #143 on: <02-06-13/1200:39> »
Strategy is the big picture, while tactics are found in the close-up. And yes, what works on a strategic level might not on a tactical level, and vice-versa.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DamienHollow

« Reply #144 on: <02-06-13/1813:48> »
Another suspect aspect of Musashi's credibility... his father's tombstone says that he died two-four years (depending on who you ask) before Musashi was even born. At this point are we even sure that he wrote the damn thing? The Japanese have a long history of playing with their own historical accounts. Though i must admit than beating a swordsman to death with a quart-staff at age 13-14 was awesome, freaking psychotic and most certainly not my kind of role modl, but awesome