NEWS

Initiative Passes

• 137 Replies

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #135 on: <10-04-12/2311:49> »
I may give it at a later time, but I'm not really in character creation mode at the moment. That said, back in SR3, I saw a completely unaugmented mundane showing up every augmented character (be they Awakened or Implanted) in combat. Despite some claims thrown about on these forums, I don't think it'd be impossible in SR4, just a bit difficult.
The big difference in SR3 was the combat was an opposed dice contest where the defender could potentially damage the attacker.  In SR4, initiative passes matter a lot more - and augmented characters also roll more dice, attacking and defending, because boosts to Agility or Reaction add to the dice pool.  With the ability to add full defense as an interrupt action, a contest between a mundane and an augmented character got even more uneven.

Still, it's not completely un-doable.  Any character, even an unaugmented mundane, is murderous with a monofilament whip, trolls are tough even if they are unaugmented, and two-weapon style is extremely dangerous.  High Edge is another great equalizer.  Now sure, magic or augmentations can make any of those things better - but you can still be effective against most opposition.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #136 on: <10-04-12/2337:45> »
I may give it at a later time, but I'm not really in character creation mode at the moment. That said, back in SR3, I saw a completely unaugmented mundane showing up every augmented character (be they Awakened or Implanted) in combat. Despite some claims thrown about on these forums, I don't think it'd be impossible in SR4, just a bit difficult.
The big difference in SR3 was the combat was an opposed dice contest where the defender could potentially damage the attacker.  In SR4, initiative passes matter a lot more - and augmented characters also roll more dice, attacking and defending, because boosts to Agility or Reaction add to the dice pool.  With the ability to add full defense as an interrupt action, a contest between a mundane and an augmented character got even more uneven.

Still, it's not completely un-doable.  Any character, even an unaugmented mundane, is murderous with a monofilament whip, trolls are tough even if they are unaugmented, and two-weapon style is extremely dangerous.  High Edge is another great equalizer.  Now sure, magic or augmentations can make any of those things better - but you can still be effective against most opposition.

Well, the character I was talking about was human in metatype and regularly one-shotted trolls with a Predator I pistol.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #137 on: <10-05-12/0114:53> »

Well, the character I was talking about was human in metatype and regularly one-shotted trolls with a Predator I pistol.

I never said unaugmented, i said with IP1.  ;D

One of my player is focus on making one for the next game to see if it can hold its own without  wireds.