NEWS

[5e] Technomancer

• 141 Replies

Triskavanski

« Reply #15 on: <02-10-14/1114:52> »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-10-14/1122:39> »
I know that Technomancers had Skinlink in 4E, but Skinlink was a core book modification and doesn't appear in 5E - I suspect that it's been cut out. This reduces a number of options that technomancers could've had, and until they can take (at least some forms of) cyberware without resonance penalty are never going to be as good as a Rigger or Decker because both of those can host a WAN and do other things that having a static matrix address would allow bout the organic Living Persona apparently can't simulate well enough. Given that Deckers can also reboot to shuffle their deck's attributes, this leaves Technomancers even further behind because the best they can do is take more time to compile a sprite and hope it doesn't get shot down by having a Logic rating that's too limited to get the job done. As of yet, almost everything a technomancer can do others can do better.

I suspect that the matrix book for 5E will at best make technomancers stink less, not make them good. That won't come until 6E at the earliest.

Triskavanski

« Reply #17 on: <02-10-14/1200:20> »
Can't a Technomancer stay on the grid longer than Deckers/Riggers?

With one Complex form, since you never need a force greater than 2, you could throw up a static veil fairly easily with only having to ever beat a fade of 2. Then you use focused concentration to keep that up there. Now your GOD score never increases by time. If you can buy hits with your Will+Resonance, then you never take damage from this with so much as even 8 combined in the two stats.

Then follow it up with Cleaner. Just cast this a few times, With me, I can have this at level 2 right now and just buy hits as needed.

Deckers gotta restart, I don't think they can just make their GOD score stop and start erasing it, which causes them to lose their marks and everything.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #18 on: <02-10-14/1203:29> »
Depends on whether a GM is going to let you  buy hits like to resist drain. Most that I know would not.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #19 on: <02-10-14/1213:18> »
Well, either way, you're going to have a hard time failing a (2) fade if you put your stats up right. I mean It'll happen once in a while, but it'll be harder than most.

Can't hack something wirelessly? What stops you from having something like a comlink that does have a spool of universal data connection wire, entering that with your living persona and then from that get at the device that isn't wireless?

If I've got a Modem that can't broadcast wirelessly, I connect a wireless router to it to get inside. Did form of technology suddenly die off in the year 2072?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #20 on: <02-10-14/1215:16> »
Perhaps This?

HAHAHA  that's awesome.

I know that Technomancers had Skinlink in 4E, but Skinlink was a core book modification and doesn't appear in 5E - I suspect that it's been cut out.

There's no reason to think it's been cut.  There's a lot of stuff that happened in 4th edition that we kind of expect should be in 5th edition already, but there's no reason to think that TMs won't get some much-needed love in Digital Trails.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Triskavanski

« Reply #21 on: <02-10-14/1320:22> »
Oh I'm sure they will.

This is the way I see this..

A Technomancer isn't limited to just blindly bashing out complex forms and his technomancer abilities. Like how a Mage isn't limited to casting his magic spells all the time. Both are not restricted to just using them at full power either.

The Technomancer uses devices like a Mage uses foci. So alright, A technomancer cannot use agents with his technomancy. But that doesn't stop the technomancer from turning on a deck that does run an agent.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-10-14/1324:53> »
I honestly think you should sit down and build one and see if you come up with a reasonable build that has the attributes, skills, and gear that you seem to be assuming you're going to have. TMs probably have the least flexibility in how you build them of all the archetypes.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #23 on: <02-10-14/1331:08> »
I have been building one. He's currently in my thread with the decker/street sam wolf brothers

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-10-14/1343:49> »
I have been building one. He's currently in my thread with the decker/street sam wolf brothers
I only see a decker there.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #25 on: <02-10-14/1345:49> »
Its the last post I did.. I'm used to Paizo boards on modifications.

So I'll post the Technomancer version up there on the first post too.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-10-14/1402:00> »
Ah, I can't really comment on a SR4/5 build.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #27 on: <02-10-14/1406:42> »
All his technomancer stuff is 5e, only a few qualities are 4e (Changeling/Erased/In Debt/signature) Most of which is useless junk used because I find the concept cool.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <02-10-14/1426:38> »
Sure, but you do have more than 25 points in qualities, you've initiated at chargen (which (most) understand is disallowed at Chargen), and we can't really tell what your priorities are.

With his skills/attributes, he's going to have a tough go of it in the Matrix.

As well as I can figure, looks like: (A) Resonance, (B) Skills, (C) Attributes, (D) Metatype, (E) Resources. I think you're actually short a few skill points. I think I only hit 30 with specializations added in.
« Last Edit: <02-10-14/1436:08> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #29 on: <02-10-14/1524:01> »
Yes, my priorities are set up exactly like that.

Huh.. I never knew I was 6 points lower than I should have been, Well time to fix that.

And if I'm not allowed to use the submersion yet, I have 13 more karma. (Technically 7 more karma, since I'll want to save that to submerse immediately)

As for qualities, the extra 15 i used on the changeling thing does more to get in the way of my character than it does to help my character. If that was dropped, then we've got 28 karma to work with on things. (And I'm not a freak anymore, and i have 2 more boxes on my phys track.)

Here is a modified version, with everything from 4e removed. and the skills that were missing re-added