NEWS

[5e] Technomancer

• 141 Replies

Triskavanski

« Reply #135 on: <02-12-14/2019:12> »
Change ownership of it. I thought at least that would have been obvious.

And also dead deckers have a really really hard time doing trace icon.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #136 on: <02-12-14/2022:05> »
I dunno, I think having a stupid agent being boosted up and using a deck to obliterate a trained decker with the aid of a sprite or two would count as "devising and summoning tools"

Sounds more like "start with gear", to me.  But, again, don't pretend for a second that that line is all that's there.

I can't say anything about 4th, nor have I.  Maybe it is because I don't have rose tinted glasses that I just see technomancers as they are now and see the potential power that they hold.

The ASDF stats are NOT just limits.  As you pointed out yourself, firewall for one is used in defense all the time.  Sleaze is used as an opposition to Matrix Perception.  How do you expect to successfully run silent against a competent security spider with a sleaze of 3 and an agent of 6 rolling 9 dice vs the spiders Intuition plus Computer of at least 10+?  The security spider is going to see your clunky agent coming.  Also running silent is -2 to everything, so your agent loses 2 dice.

Fine, they aren't just limits. but the key is you don't care about them except for one stat.  lets use my earlier example of teaming up against the spider, You use improved concentration to boost the attack stat to 8; leave firewall and sleaze at 3 and DP at 1.  You use your pre-registered machine sprite to boost the agent to 16 -2=14 dice running silent.  you have a fault sprite out, also running silent, it rolls 10.  let's say you are only rolling 10 as well after staying silent.  Initial volley has the agent hitting with at least 9 (attack + 1) damage, either the fault sprite hits for another 10  or you will for similar damage, the other will take a few hit of damage.  lets say spider is still alive is still, it has to spend and action to spot the devices; which means all three get a second volley off.  end result? spider is toast before it can do much.  you could instead just diffuse the firewall and instead of boosting the agent., if you want to go for the one-hit, you do both.  if you set it up that way the agent and the sprite take OS and you can sit back and look like an innocent bystander or use a low-level resonance spike to jsut chip at it since they can't detect where it comes from.

The Decker ALSO buys one new deck every Device Rating, but with his Priority A resources he started at DR 4, so he buys the 5 and the 6 only.

The decker is reliant on the most bleeding edge tech. The Technomancer is not. What this means is that when you and your team take out enemy deckers, you can use thier junk decks. Even if they get busted, just start repairing and stuff.

If you think a Decker can't Trace Icon his own deck you are crazy.  It's not even an attack or sleaze action so it can be done with a Commlink.  The second he gets the ability he is tracking down his stolen tech and attempting to murder anyone who has it.  Running around with someone else's Cyberdeck is not wise.

Except the rules have written methods to change ownership, and a decker is more likely than most to be able to do it, plus cyberdecks are one of the few things worth doing it to.  It will also take time for the decker to get a new device to track you down with, if you left him alive (not sure why you would if you are going to be stealing his deck) If you do it in an equipped van parked someone and have your team guarding you, you can change ownership and then your team would skedaddle before the decker can arrive, and they end up being SOL.

Change ownership of it. I thought at least that would have been obvious.

And also dead deckers have a really really hard time doing trace icon.

beat me to it, I wouldn't rely on this aspect of them myself though, I think there are enough other fun ways to play the,
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #137 on: <02-12-14/2109:31> »
What is the most important skills for a Technomancer?

I know Tasking ones are important, as is Software, what about the rest of electronics and cracking skills?

Wait...  Didn't you start this topic asking if it was even important to have the mundane matrix skills?  And yet now you're accusing everyone of wanting "ludditemancers" as if you're the only one who thinks using the actual matrix actions in the book is a possible for TMs.

You've really twisted what several people have tried to explain to you with strawman after strawman, completely misinterpreting other's words and explanations.  Either you're trolling or you have absolutely no interest in actually having a discussion.  I avoided posting in this thread for a day or so because I felt there was no way to get anything across, but this is getting ridiculous...  I suggest everyone try to end the discussion before it devolves into a flamewar and gets locked by FastJack.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #138 on: <02-12-14/2117:56> »
The ASDF stats are NOT just limits.  As you pointed out yourself, firewall for one is used in defense all the time.  Sleaze is used as an opposition to Matrix Perception.  How do you expect to successfully run silent against a competent security spider with a sleaze of 3 and an agent of 6 rolling 9 dice vs the spiders Intuition plus Computer of at least 10+?  The security spider is going to see your clunky agent coming.  Also running silent is -2 to everything, so your agent loses 2 dice.

Well, running silent is -2 on *Matrix actions*, but that's not exactly *everything*.  Resisting a Matrix perception test would not incur the -2 penalty because you're not taking the matrix action, you're resisting it.  And it would be pretty silly to make resisting detection take -2 penalty because you were trying to resist detection.

Triskavanski

« Reply #139 on: <02-12-14/2122:07> »
Yes, three days ago I had less knowledge of the technomancer's skills than I do now, Now I know what skills are important, and how the technomancer would play out. Micheal and Insananx have pointed out a lot of actually good things and things that could be done beyond.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #140 on: <02-12-14/2230:58> »
I just can't believe y'all are still posting here. When I looked at the 1 BOD /1 STR TM build he put together. I just laughed and went to post some shit about progressive recoil.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Triskavanski

« Reply #141 on: <02-12-14/2341:07> »
Right.. anycase.. since no one wants to listen, I'll just do this...