NEWS

Technomancers and EM emissions

• 3 Replies

joe15552

• Omae
« on: <12-29-10/1144:28> »
I read that cool little story in Unwired about the technomancer that did not have any detectable EM emissions because she somehow concentrated on "not emitting". I cannot find this ability listed anywhere. Is she using one of the new echos like Blur or Immersion, or is any technomancer able to put their "biological radio on mute" by concentrating? Can someone give me a page  number reference or post the rules for this so I can figure this ability out?

I think that the main power of technomancers is how sneaky they are, and I want to make my technomancer character as sneaky as possible.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-10/1419:32> »
Ya, technomancers can disconnect from the matrix and stop emitting or receiving.  Just like shutting off a commlink.  They can also go into just "receiving mode" where they don't emit and can't be detected but then they can't have any subscriptions to any nodes other than their own biological PAN.  Basically you could check your email and probably receive audio or video....just couldn't respond.  You could also eavesdrop with sniffer. 

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-10/1629:29> »
Quote from: Unwired, p. 135
Modes and Scanning
The organic node of technomancers is always considered to be in hidden mode; they cannot operate in active or passive mode. Biological nodes are difficult to detect with standard wireless node scanning, as they do not follow standard wireless device acknowledge-response protocols. They do emit radio signals, however, so they can be located in the same way as a node in hidden mode (see Detecting Wireless Node, p. 225, SR4/p. 230, SR4A). A technomancer who wishes to “run silent” can shut down his radio emissions, making himself undetectable to radio scanners, though most technomancers find this state to be uncomfortable, especially for long periods. He can also go into “receiver mode,” which allows him to receive radio transmissions and still remain undetectable to scanners, but this disallows any connections that require a subscription (keep in mind that most data transactions are two-way).

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-29-10/1926:15> »
Thanks guys. Much clearer in my mind now.