NEWS

Compsure tests

• 20 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #15 on: <12-22-10/2220:41> »
Even discounting the 2 -> 0 reductions, 3 -> 1 is a massive reduction for a test, much less an attribute-only test.

Take a 3 wil +3 cha average runner.  A threshold (2) test happens 64.88% (3) happens 31.96% and (1) happens 91.22%. 

The difference between a 68% chance of something bad happening and a 9% chance of something bad happening is huge.  That's nearly 8 times the chance.  It stacks even heavier with a better dice pool. A typical 7 dice bruiser character has a 42% of hitting 3 and a 95% chance of hitting 1.
« Last Edit: <12-23-10/0254:41> by Kontact »

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <12-29-10/1947:03> »
So what i am hearing is everyone likes modify the threshold of compsre tests but no one actually makes people roll compsure tests for normal Shadowrun situations?

"Oh, I am being shot at, thats nice."  "Oh look, my chummers brains just splattered all over me.  Want to stop by the Stuffer Shack?" "Look at the pretty Insect Spirit."

I use the compsue test to Test the Character, not the player.  Shadowrunners are not fearless-although I would give a bonus to the roll for someone with a low essence.  Just because the player wants to run into the Yak's stronghold by himself doesn't mean the CHARACTER wants to.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #17 on: <12-30-10/1038:32> »
Thalandar, I'm with you, I just forget that rule half the time.

What everyone here is griping about is the idea of letting people get bonus BP by purchasing traits that force additional composure checks and then  buying some (relatively) cheap 'ware that completely circumvents the quality.

My players are liable to be irritated with me, because I plan on doing a better job of remembering those composure rolls (although, as they get more experienced, you're supposed to stop asking as often). Also, if I were the player, I'd be less likely to keep playing if every time my character took a wound or saw a gruesome site, he had a chance of locking up and being useless for a GM-specified amount of time. It kind of takes the whole "fun game" part out of Shadowrun if you overdo that sort of thing. So, yay, another balancing act.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-30-10/1403:24> »
What everyone here is griping about is the idea of letting people get bonus BP by purchasing traits that force additional composure checks and then  buying some (relatively) cheap 'ware that completely circumvents the quality.
Thats easily fixed by a hit in the head with a rulebook, i heard SR4A works particularly well ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #19 on: <12-30-10/1551:19> »
But... I don't want to damage the poor book... it's got a nice soft black cover...
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <12-30-10/1857:35> »
But... I don't want to damage the poor book... it's got a nice soft black cover...
If it has a soft cover, then it's obliviously not the right book for the job ;D
"An it harm none, do what you will"