NEWS

Street Wyrd: Wyrd and notable things

• 19 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-24-21/1253:47> »
Quote from: SSDR
But it comes down to does the spell cause an emotion directly, or is the emotion the natural consequence of the sensory input
I agree, and I don't object to things like Agony and Hot Potato.  Both effects are based on reaction to stimulus.  (and I would personally rule a Pain Editor would make you immune to both)
Quote from: Street Wyrd
Foreboding mystically broadcasts feelings of
imminent danger, fear, and unease to any living being who enters the area affected by the spell.
Pretty clear it's an emotional manipulation!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-24-21/1508:45> »
Sort of. I can see foreboding as a natural reaction to a stimulus as well. It sort of comes down to do you view feelings as a sense. I think they are going its am illusion affecting a persons sixth sense, creating a stimulus that people are just naturally reacting to.  It is a bit of a stretch for me, but I can accept it.

And it sort of goes down to the fundamentals of magic, is something solidly only one category on some inherent level or is it more a classification mages came up with to best understand magic. And can spells only have one category of effects at all. like if they brought back a fire wall spell, it does fire damage, its a wall, is that a combat spell or manipulation or sort of both leaning more to manipulation so it its put in that group but it still has combat elements. and end of the day does it really matter? Outside maybe a skill specialization or something does it have an impact.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-24-21/2005:34> »
The codified rules for spirit relations is a bad decision imo, I guess maybe its nice for living campaigns to have set guidelines. But I can guarantee if I used those rules every mage within 5 sessions even the most abusive summoner would have +10 spirit relations. And then the already over powered spirits would be handing out services for free.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-24-21/2032:48> »
The codified rules for spirit relations is a bad decision imo, I guess maybe its nice for living campaigns to have set guidelines. But I can guarantee if I used those rules every mage within 5 sessions even the most abusive summoner would have +10 spirit relations. And then the already over powered spirits would be handing out services for free.

Well, much like there's a rule for preventing edge abuse, I'd say that a GM should be using the same sort of common sense with regards to reputation.  Something I noticed was +1 rep for releasing a spirit with services remaining?  Lol, ok so a power gamer will summon a force 1, get a ton of services, take no drain, and then dismiss it for the +1 AsRep?   Well, no, not at any reasonable GM's table.  Hell, at my table I'd consider giving you MINUS 1 AsRep due to bothering the spirit just for your own benefit... and as a meta warning to quit trying to game the system.

I see it the opposite way as you do with regards to organized play, heh.  In a home game you know the GM is the law, as opposed to any rule or rulebook. And in a home game, you (usually) have the same GM consistently, so that GM's sensibilities can be anticipated and expected.  In organized play you have a sort of a Weak GM paradigm because, well, the table GM is really just an "assistant" GM when you look at it.. the "real" GM is the organized play campaign rules!  Table variation about whether or not action X results in +/- Y AsRep is the bane of consistency.

I like the concept of AsRep (even if I hate that abbreviation).  Metahuman contacts have Loyalty, which also goes up and down based on how you treat them, so the concept of a Spirit Loyalty rating has an established analogue.  I do agree though that GM needs to lay down the law and override the player when they say "but the book says this gives me +1 AsRep!", or else everyone will just permanently maintain 10 AsRep.
« Last Edit: <02-24-21/2037:02> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-24-21/2057:24> »
You don't really have to abuse it though to get max rep. Always let spirits go with 1 service to spare, ask their name, chat with them a bit when planning, take some concerns for their safety, and banish other spirits are all pretty easy asks.

Personally I am not a fan of asrep in the sense that it is another nail in the coffin of differences in traditions. As much as they say hermetics treat them as servants, you show a system one which smart people will figure out and even in setting no hermetics would treat them that way.  They may think it, but they would know to do some basic fluff to get more out of a spirit. Like if the range was -3 to +3 it might fall into the small enough that traditions don't notice and treat spirits differently. But when spirits, are handing out free services, sticking around to save you when you go down, then even in setting people would alter their style. Its basically just saying everyone is a Shaman now. just with a different drain stat.