NEWS

Ware that gets less love than you think it deserves

• 63 Replies

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <08-23-15/0603:32> »
Blaarggg... you're making me look it up...

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <08-23-15/0615:19> »
In the sensors table, it lists two housings (hand held and wall mounted) and two sensor categories (single and array).

An array takes up [6] capacity but only the maxed out wall housing is big enough capacity 1 to 6, 6 being the capacity needed.

The sensor housing table lists the maximum sensor RATING by size of the housing.

So you can have a hand held device that caps out at 3 capacity,  which means 3 single sensors.  Those sensors are in turn capped by the size of the housing limiting it to rating 3 sensors.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <08-23-15/0638:55> »
The question then becomes 'does sensor [capacity] equate with other gear and augmentation [capacity]'?

"Helmets have Capacity 6 for being tricked out with accessories like trod nets and vision enhancements." P. 438

So can you stick a sensor array capacity [6] into a helmet  capacity 6?  Well, as an array, it would be considered an AV device, capping it at rating 2.  That's ¥2000 for 8 functions including ultrasound.  This is way cheaper than using standard AV mods to a helmet. The drawback is that the array is still capped at rating 2, which is the device rating which dictates the device limit which dictates your perception limit. 

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-23-15/0936:29> »
So can you stick a sensor array capacity [6] into a helmet  capacity 6?  Well, as an array, it would be considered an AV device, capping it at rating 2.  That's ¥2000 for 8 functions including ultrasound.  This is way cheaper than using standard AV mods to a helmet. The drawback is that the array is still capped at rating 2, which is the device rating which dictates the device limit which dictates your perception limit.
pg 445 : "When you
use the sensor array for Perception Tests, you may use
your Electronic Warfare skill in place of your Perception
skill, and you may use the sensor’s Rating as your limit."

Note it says you may use Electronic Warfare / Sensor's Rating as your limit, not that you have to. So you are capped by highest Mental limit or Device Rating, and can use highest of Electronic Warfare and Perception plus Intuition for your dice pool.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-23-15/1024:13> »
Note that cyberlimb sensors cap at rating 5 so that seems to be a better use than combat mods.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #35 on: <08-23-15/1026:13> »
I think it's in run and gun, I look for it when I'm back at home, but iirc helmets can take sensors in their capacity.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <08-23-15/1031:50> »
I think it's in run and gun, I look for it when I'm back at home, but iirc helmets can take sensors in their capacity.
What about ballistic masks?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <08-23-15/1121:04> »
What about ballistic masks?

I'd go with no right off hand. But I'm still not near my books, so nothing to back it up one way or another.
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-23-15/1135:28> »
Ok took a look my friends books, R&G pg 87 gives you a full list and capacity cost for various gadgets including sensors, core says helmets can take vision mods and trod nets and similar modifications, I've always gone with that included sensors but I guess that will be a GM call. Ballistic masks say they can take any modifications helmets can take so clearly my gut was wrong there. (They even have a capacity of 8 so go figure.)
Thinking
com
speaking

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <08-23-15/1143:07> »
Sensors need to be placed in a housing or case of some sort, or built into another device.

You can put sensors in just about everything, and lots of people do.
If the intended housing has capacity (and you can line it up against an item on the list of housings), then everything should be good.

adzling

« Reply #40 on: <08-23-15/1206:50> »
This same discussion broke Michael Chandra.

Basically the last few posts in this thread are correct, Sensors by RAW will not go into a helmet because it does not say specifically anywhere that they can.

If you're interested you should have a look at the helmet I designed with a sensor suite for our table (we houseruled it as a reasonable thing to have a sensor suite in an advanced helmet).

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21574.0

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <08-23-15/1417:45> »
I don't see any reason you can't get a motion sensor in a helmet. If you can put in all the visual sensors (Which by the rules you can), then most of the others seem reasonable to me.  Giger counter would give me pause.
Thinking
com
speaking

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <08-25-15/1538:20> »
Sorry to get slightly off topic, but Made Man, is a Quality I really feel is really undervalued. It can do so many interesting things from the stand point of background and negotiation. Also organized crime offers the very best justification for the really wacky attack methods, Car Bombs, poisoned drinks, concrete shoes, poison lipstick call girls, all kinds of weird creative stuff.
Take that and Electronic Witness to cover your day job requirement

Shortly thereafter your Don will take care of your "living requirement" for spreading the family's business all over the 'Net. Not a good trade off to get whacked because you couldn't keep your recording devices turned off while doing your job!!!

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <08-25-15/1657:56> »
Sorry to get slightly off topic, but Made Man, is a Quality I really feel is really undervalued. It can do so many interesting things from the stand point of background and negotiation. Also organized crime offers the very best justification for the really wacky attack methods, Car Bombs, poisoned drinks, concrete shoes, poison lipstick call girls, all kinds of weird creative stuff.

Shortly thereafter your Don will take care of your "living requirement" for spreading the family's business all over the 'Net. Not a good trade off to get whacked because you couldn't keep your recording devices turned off while doing your job!!!
Convince him to sell it as a reality trid!
Playability > verisimilitude.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <08-26-15/1249:19> »
There is a zero percent chance that any of my characters would willingly operate with someone with Electronic Witness and Day Job.  (Ele. Witness is in Data Trails, by the way.)  That combination risks a bullet behind the ear at many tables.
except you wouldnt know

Convince him to sell it as a reality trid!
  Except if you use Electronic witness and made man the records would go to the Don to find out what you do all day kinda surprised the corps dont do this already on their wage slaves as part of their security survellince