NEWS

Tangled Currents - OOC thread

• 383 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #30 on: <03-29-16/0950:32> »
Anyone else feel guilty for conversational posts racking up the post count (hence karm+nuyen) quite quickly?  I hate to just post a wall of text when there could be back and forth, but a bit of natural back and forth could easily turn a fairly mundane encounter into something quite lucrative.

Is there any existing rule of thumb for discounting short posts or anything like that?  I'll do my own lumping together of short posts to keep the rewards somewhat reasonable, but was just wondering if anyone else was thinking about this, and how they were handling it?

(by the way, this is NOT a complaint about how anything is being done or run, more of a "Wait, just getting ready for the meet could easily end up being eight posts.  If this goes on ....."  (granted, maybe we'll burn Mercy out before long at the rate she's been replying, but in case she keeps up this super-human responsiveness ....)

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <03-29-16/0958:08> »
I will let Aria or Adamu make the call on that, but I happen to believe that even the short conversational posts add to character and plot development.  I try to make mine so that it is not just a waste of time and space, but something that moves everything forward a bit.  As I see it, it would be easy to just say, "Poof.  You are now at the meeting after having a suit made and picked up flowers.", but I would rather RP out the encounters to help us both get more from the experience and give you a chance to showcase your talents.

Besides, there is no telling what sort of side plot might pop up from one of these events.
« Last Edit: <03-29-16/1003:12> by Mercy Merchant »
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <03-29-16/1003:55> »
I don't intend on policing your posts, move the story on or provide richer character background and post as much as you like! The reward scheme was devised to give an incentive to post and over the long run probably isn't too dissimilar to a tabletop karma award given pbp often can be very slow!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-29-16/1040:28> »
OK, then I'll stop feeling guilty!

(and i totally agree, Mercy -- I think these things have value, and I really enjoy them.  maybe I just felt bad about getting rewarded for something I enjoy so much?)

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <03-29-16/1054:55> »
Thank you for the nice comments, by the way.

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #35 on: <03-29-16/1338:43> »
Anyone else feel guilty for conversational posts racking up the post count (hence karm+nuyen) quite quickly?  I hate to just post a wall of text when there could be back and forth, but a bit of natural back and forth could easily turn a fairly mundane encounter into something quite lucrative.

I just avoid counting my posts. No counting posts, no karma. Simple.

adamu

« Reply #36 on: <03-29-16/1741:36> »
Anyone else feel guilty for conversational posts racking up the post count (hence karm+nuyen) quite quickly? 

Nope.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <03-29-16/2034:38> »
@Mercy:  I'm willing to take clothes in lieu of cash.  What would you put the value of all this tack at?  I was thinking on the order of 8k, but that is just a finger in the air number.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <03-30-16/0113:50> »
The cost of the clothes will depend on what you want as adaptations.  Do not worry, you will pay for most of it in some fashion.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <04-01-16/1021:26> »
With regard to the conversation at Crocus & Co: although Sonya is Preston's highest loyalty contact, she is also from the period covered by his 'Big Regret' negative quality, which means that when he is dealing with her his social limit drops by three ..... leaving it at one  :o  Throw in that his only social skill is etiquette so he only throws one die on anything other than simply behaving well .... it rather constrains what he can try to do in talking with her.  The best he can hope for is to meet basic standards of decent behavior.  I figured that he has enough history with her that whenever he's tried more, it has gone badly (I tried to show a bit of this with his comments on her having lost weight, when trying to be conversational he started screwing up)

Over time I may buy up his charisma and social skills, which will maybe give him a shot at sorting things out with her.  But for the moment, I was just trying to show that despite the affection they have for each other, communication between them isn't working well.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <04-01-16/1038:18> »
That came through pretty clearly.  Well done.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <04-01-16/1646:07> »
Not only out of character but off topic:  In case any of you don't have enough shadowy goodness cascading across the boards already, I'll point out this thread:  http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23823.0  Biotech is working through the current season of Missions modules, which is a VERY different experience than games like are Stormy Waters and Tangled Currents. 

Being missions, it is far more tactical and much less role-play than here so it may not appeal to most on this thread.  But I thought I'd point it out all the same as a) he hasn't had much response because he posted in the 'looking for games' board rather than the 'play-by-post board', b) I ran the first module of the season with him and all but two of the players disappeared after the meet, which was rather frustrating, so I figured I'd advertise where I already know there are some really committed players.

Now I'll stopping spamming you, and return to Tangly goodness.

PS: been really enjoying reading other's threads.  On the edge of my seat to see what happens between Joe and the goons, loving the dealing between Des and his passenger, and so on.  So much good stuff! 

adamu

« Reply #42 on: <04-01-16/2014:14> »
Hey everyone - work kicked my ass this week - hoping to bump everyone over this weekend.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <04-02-16/1221:01> »
Thanks for the comments, Beta.  Adamu are really working hard trying to keep up with the posting.  Some of you guys are killers.  If you like seat of the chair, check out the Helena thread on Dumpshock.  Just starting something there.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <04-02-16/1834:21> »
Thanks for the comments, Beta.  Adamu are really working hard trying to keep up with the posting.  Some of you guys are killers.  If you like seat of the chair, check out the Helena thread on Dumpshock.  Just starting something there.

i know, it was all going along smoothly, then "BOOM!"  Nice change-up :)  I'm not going to try and talk about all of the threads, but I am enjoying all of them.