NEWS

Interest check for a PbP by a journeyman GM.

• 171 Replies

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-12-18/1532:32> »
Initial build:
Burnout adept with cyberarms and cyberlegs. Some social, sneaking, gymnastics and driving.    I did priority, and still need to adopt him to house rules. (e.g. I noticed you wrapped around gun skills).

== Personal Data ==
Name: Roberto                   Alias:
Human, Male                     
Movement: 2/4 (2m/hit)                   
Swim: 1 (1m/hit)                     
80, 180                         Composure: 10
Street Cred: 0                  Judge Intentions: 10
Notoriety: 0                    Lift/Carry: 8 (45 kg/30 kg)
Public Awareness: 0             Memory: 10
Eyes: Brown                     Hair: Bold
Primary Arm: Right             

== Priorities ==
Metatype: E,0
Attributes: A,4
Special: D,1
Skills: B,3
Resources: C,2

== Attributes ==
BOD: 5                          CHA: 5
AGI: 1 (5) INT: 5
REA: 5 (7) LOG: 5
STR: 1 (3) WIL: 5
EDG: 3                          MAG: 3

== Derived Attributes
Essence: 3.20                   Initiative:          12 +3d6
Physical Damage Track: 15       Rigger Initiative:   12 +3d6
Stun Damage Track:              11Astral Initiative:   10 +3d6
Physical: 6                     Matrix AR:           12 +3d6
Mental: 7                       Matrix Cold:         5 + DP +3d6
   Vision Enhancement [+1] (Only for Perception (Visual))
   Vision Enhancement [+1] (Only for Perception (Visual))
Social: 7                       Matrix Hot:          5 + DP +4d6
   Impassive [-1] (Does not include Intimidation.)
   Securetech PPP: Vitals Kit [-1] (Must be visible)
Astral: 7

== Active Skills ==
Automatics                      Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 11
Con                             Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 11
Etiquette                       Base: 5  + Karma: 0  = 5   Pool: 10
Gymnastics                      Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 11
Leadership                      Base: 5  + Karma: 0  = 5   Pool: 10
Negotiation                     Base: 5  + Karma: 0  = 5   Pool: 10
Perception                      Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 11
Pilot Ground Craft              Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 13
Sneaking                        Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 11

== Knowledge Skills ==

== Qualities ==
Adept
Astral Beacon
Big Regret (Not Saving Friend)
Biocompatability (Cyberware)
Consummate Professional
Impassive
The Burnout's Way

== Powers ==
Combat SenseRating: 1
Improved ReflexesRating: 2

== Lifestyle ==
Hotels (Traveler) 1  Month
   + Grid Subscription (Public Grid)

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 6) (Left)
   + Customized AgilityRating 6
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 6) (Right)
Obvious Full Leg (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 6) (Left)
Obvious Full Leg (AGI 6, STR 3, Physical 6) (Right)

== Armor ==
Armor Jacket                       14
   + Gel Packs
Forearm Guards                     +1
Helmet                             +2
Securetech PPP: Vitals Kit         +1

== Weapons ==
AK-97
   + Personalized Grip
   + Smartgun System, External
   Pool: 11     Accuracy: 5 (8) DV: 10P      AP: -2    RC: 2
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 4      Accuracy: 6     DV: 3S       AP: -     RC: 2

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-12-18/1825:03> »
I read the house rules and I liked them. I've always been curious to play with consolidated combat skill groups.

@Lorebane, what are you looking for at this point? Do you want concepts, or sheets, or are you still pondering the possibility of an alternative campaign?

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-12-18/2138:20> »
Well, we've seen an idea of what a couple people want to make stat-wise, but at this point (especially this being a PbP, where the action is slower) I am also interested in where the characters fit into the world.  For example, one character had Big Regret - I'd love to explore (even if through messaging) what that means, because I'll work that into the plot.

So for now, let's settle on a place and style.  What would everyone's preferences be as far as...

Unless anyone has strong objections, I'd like to start in Seattle, because I already have the beginnings of an arc there.

So what would people prefer as far as premise?  Shadowrunners?  PI Agency?  Government men?  Ultimately, I'm running a SWT game (it's not necesarry for players to have the sourcebook), but there are a few ways it could be approached.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #18 on: <08-12-18/2236:43> »
SWT = ???

I'm batting around a few character concepts, some of which would fit into some campaigns better than others*.  To a large degree I want the GM to feel interested in the nature of the story, as that makes it easy for me to get really into it.  I guess you could say that when I'm a player, my character plot is more like a vine, and I'm hoping the GM's plot will provide the tree for the vine to climb.

* For instance, the Traveler that I was playing with has a pretty narrow niche -- basic face functions around 14 dice, and strong in the astral, and weak at everything else.  Might work in a private investigation type game, as he'd have his specialization there.  Probably less so as a police unit where they'd probably expect basic competency of all officers.  etc.

(The character grew up as something like an astral addict (like a video game addict, roughly).  Has spent most of his time mooning after unavailable manic-pixie-dream spirits and adventuring in the astral.  Asensing and astral combat come with Traveller, and negotiate, ettiquitte and Con translate over, but he'd be pretty barren on other active skills.  metatype C (elf), Attributes A, Magic C (Traveller), Skill E, Resources C. Str 1 (2 with karma), body 3, reactions 4, agility 5, Logic 4, Willpower 6, Intuition 5(6), Charisma 7.  Enough nuyen for rating one tailored pheromones, intuition booster, and weapon focus, plus a few utility items.).  Natural Athlete, Adrenaline Rush, ten karma on strength leaves 20 karma to buy a lot of one point wonder skills.)

But also looking at some other character ideas, and happy to adapt to the format of the game.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-12-18/2354:38> »
SWT= Sixth World Tarot.  Book of the lost is my big springboard here.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-13-18/0116:35> »
I was thinking about a cop, turned into a mercenary/bodyguard to pay the bill. I'll need some more time for a story and the big regret would be a large part of that story, (and it would be difficult to handle policemen). I also like the PI agency, idea or even a gang. Coppers/goverment people seems like a lot of meta-gaming about their organization, the law and so forth which I am not sure that I have the attention to grasp. 

Thus, I prefer to be on the fun side of the law and to know enough about it not to get in trouble. Rather than have it as a binding code.

Beta: Notice that for tailored pheromones 1 - you can use a perfume (Black Panther if I recall correctly.) It has the same effect and should be much cheaper.

« Last Edit: <08-13-18/0120:39> by gilga »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-13-18/0155:51> »
The two builds I have in mind are both orks.

Option A has four redlined cyberlimbs. He's good with the traditional holy trinity of shooty-sneaky-stabby, but also has excellent Perception dice pools that might lend themselves toward an investigation. He's 95% complete and would just some tweaks to his skills and his equipment list to reflect the game's house rules.

Option B is an adept with a cyberarm. This one is more at the concept/priority stage, so maybe only 10% complete. I'm noticing that everyone else is posting Awakened characters so far, which could either be a hook or a liability or both.

Jack Spade already posted a Sioux shapeshifter. I don't have Sixth World Tarot, but if we're aiming for locales with sourcebooks then one possibility is that we could be Sioux government operatives tracking something down in Seattle before hopping back home to the Sioux Nation and then elsewhere from there. (For the record, I thought the Shadows in Focus - Sioux Nation book was superb. I read it twice and would love to run there.) I always thought that the Office of Military Intelligence - basically an independent shadow government - would be a great basis for a game, especially if there's some political intrigue with other governments or other branches of the Sioux government. Sinopa's machinations and personal ambitions could really drive a grand trenchcoat/mirrorshades campaign.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-13-18/0213:16> »
Some insight about the rules:

1. Mages and mystic adepts.
I am getting more spells by doing a mystic adept and kicking its spellpower to 6, ignoring the attunement. (ending up with 12 spells and 2 power points), whereas when I build a mage I end up with 9 spells. The reason for that is that I don't get more spells when increasing magic with karma/special attribute points.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <08-13-18/1155:07> »
Lorebane, a quick note that your Technomancer document cuts off mid-sentence, just before telling us how many complex forms TMs get.  (yes, I read the other two days ago -- poor TMs, always an afterthought!)

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <08-13-18/1206:51> »
Good catches, thanks!  As far as mystic adepts, perhaps it would be more appropriate to give them spells equal to their spellpower x 1.5 (rounded up) than double their spellpower?  For Technos, I meant for them to have the same number of spell slots as a mage of the same priority to use on complex forms and sprites.  (12 for Priority A, I believe).

Also, the one major thing I noticed on characters so far is armor selections.  It's not that it's bad, but in games I run I always recommend owning at least one suit of semi-concealable or inconspicuous armor.  The way I've always played it is that you can probably wear an armored jacket into a dive bar, but that's like the upper limit, and no one will think you're not there to cause trouble if you wear one to a mid-range+ restaurant or in Bellevue.  Especially if it's covered in Gel Packs.  I have always run with the assumption that an armored vest is light enough to conceal beneath most clothing, but will show through a tailored suit, and second skin armor will fit comfortably under anything.
« Last Edit: <08-13-18/1210:46> by Lorebane24 »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-13-18/1300:32> »
@Tecumseh

I'd certainly be up for a premise like that. As it is, the character is ex-military and now something of a bounty hunter - good at tracking, sneaking up and subduing people.
He is a bit too unstable for regular government sanctioned work, but certainly a very useful "deniable asset"

@Lorebane
Regarding polite armor: I went with the Sioux Nation book which describes amor jackets as acceptable wear pretty everywhere inside the First Nations territories. Of course, once we are outside of that, a few bugs might have to be spent on better attire (although Bobby certainly won't fit in such an environment, unless he takes the form of a tiny dog in a handbag)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-13-18/1340:12> »
@Lorebane -- How do you feel about 'used' (aka omega-grade) cultured bioware?  (cultured bioware obviously isn't available used, but it is suggested in Chrome Flesh that there are often sub-prime ware (trial runs, cheap knock-offs) that behave the same mechanically).  Not a make or break issue, just want to know where you come down on that question.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <08-13-18/1343:23> »
So I'm okay with the omega grade cultured bioware, but with a caveat that at character creation it's availability is not affected (it will be once the game is in swing for purposes of procurement).  Essentially, I'm fine with someone wanting to spend less money to use up more essence, but I'm wary of it being used to bypass the availability limit to get things you otherwise couldn't get for new characters.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <08-13-18/1357:32> »
Alright, so it occurs to me that what "Sixth World Tarot" game means could probably use a little more coverage, just so people know what they're in for.  I want to avoid too many spoilers, but it will ultimately be a relic hunt style game, involving a relic with 78 pieces to it (so it has the potential for a pretty long life).  The hunt starts in Seattle, but the incidentals involved in going after the items and competing with other interested parties gives me license to touch on most facets of the Shadowrun setting.

That being the case, the current most likely framing setups for the party could be...

1) A group of runners who gets hired onto several jobs involving the tarot, and then we can see if the group settles into favored employers or even pursues the artifact for their own interests.

2) A PI agency hired for a job involving the tarot that really starts to sprawl.

3) The UCAS FBI's thaumaturgical division is investigating the tarot, so we could have a party of a few agents and maybe some outside contractors.

4) The party could be corporate men working on behalf of one of the corps most interested in the tarot (Aztechnology, Wuxing, and MCT.  SK is also mentioned in the sourcebook, but I just don't have as many cool ideas for them).

Other factions and interests that are extremely likely to come up are the Draco Foundation (but I need to brush up on my lore for them), the Seelie and Unseelie courts (and by extension, the Sioux Nation, since there's that portal in Yellowstone), Ordo Maximus, and the Halloweeners.  While they aren't, by canon, heavily invested in the SWT, there's too much fun shit happening with Ares and Spinrad Global to not do shit with, so I'm looking for ways to get them in on it as well.  It's also impossible for me to not include the crime syndicates at some point.

Finally, while the game starts in Seattle, I hope to have a few out-of-city runs after a while, and, if the game takes off, moving to other parts of the world eventually.
« Last Edit: <08-13-18/1516:42> by Lorebane24 »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-13-18/1432:08> »
I'm most partial to option 2
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex