NEWS

Welcome!

• 772 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #375 on: <08-01-12/0239:40> »
Hey, Wak! Don't scare off the newbs(and, of course, don't go freaking the mundanes, either...)

jka12002

• Newb
« Reply #376 on: <08-01-12/2024:10> »
Hey, Wak! Don't scare off the newbs(and, of course, don't go freaking the mundanes, either...)

Slot off, Frag face!

Wolfman

• Newb
  • I'm in your commlink, stealing your paydata
« Reply #377 on: <08-06-12/0058:23> »
Is there some sort of... "chat room" or something like that around... like a place to talk "live" to people hanging around without clustering the boards?
Even willing to boot up the ol' Excalibur and go on Mirc if I have to :P

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #378 on: <08-07-12/0752:23> »
Is there some sort of... "chat room" or something like that around... like a place to talk "live" to people hanging around without clustering the boards?
Even willing to boot up the ol' Excalibur and go on Mirc if I have to :P
We don't have a chat function here, nor on the main site. Your best bet is outside the system. ;)

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #379 on: <08-07-12/2059:40> »
While I got you here, FastJack, I was wondering... you know in the books, when you can read comments from other runners... Are those from people from this board sometimes or are they all kind of "made up"?

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #380 on: <08-07-12/2107:11> »
Very fictional; our Jack is named after that Jack, not the other way around. However, quite a few writers abound the community.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #381 on: <08-07-12/2108:13> »
While I got you here, FastJack, I was wondering... you know in the books, when you can read comments from other runners... Are those from people from this board sometimes or are they all kind of "made up"?
They are all made up by the authors of the book/article. Although we do have some sections on the boards here where forum members can add their own comments.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #382 on: <08-07-12/2159:14> »
Well... I guess from now on, I'll make sure to write so serious Mark Twain Sh!t  8)
Never know if you'll end up being quoted ;D

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #383 on: <08-08-12/0051:06> »
Well... I guess from now on, I'll make sure to write so serious Mark Twain Sh!t  8)
Never know if you'll end up being quoted ;D

Doesn't happen, unfortunately. They do not take unsolicited writing due to issues in the past
under FASA and WizKids.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #384 on: <08-08-12/0104:30> »
:(
There goes my dreams... oh wait... if memory serves me well... I actually took my handle from a decker in the..... Street Samurai Catalog, first edition... :P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #385 on: <08-08-12/0151:26> »
I think the only character left from the days when they did accept things is Bull.  And the poor guy is teased exceptionally about it.

A few of the new kids think he even put himself into the game, not realizing that his character was in the game books long before he started writing for Shadowrun.  We correct them politely.

A sledgehammer to the knees is polite, right?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

_Pax_

« Reply #386 on: <08-08-12/0640:24> »
Rocket assist, or no?   8)

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #387 on: <08-08-12/1403:31> »
Rocket assist, or no?   8)

King DeeDeeDee: CEO of Dreamland BTL Entertainment

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #388 on: <08-09-12/2038:58> »
A few of the new kids think he even put himself into the game, not realizing that his character was in the game books long before he started writing for Shadowrun.  We correct them politely.

A number of 'old' characters are nods to players; I even got put into something somewhere, misremember where.  I find myself wondering, however, where exactly Bull got put into the game books before he started writing for the game.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #389 on: <08-11-12/1409:10> »

A number of 'old' characters are nods to players; I even got put into something somewhere, misremember where.  I find myself wondering, however, where exactly Bull got put into the game books before he started writing for the game.

He was active in the old UseNet boards, which even *I* can't claim, and I'm older'n dirt. He was a frequent chatter there, so as a 'thank you' to the fans, his screen name was one plucked to be used in a product. Patrick Goodman was added in a similar way (An author wanted a name, knew and liked Patrick, so gave him an in-game face as a gift), and James Meiers got a special token of thanks in the Big D's will. (And was later killed off because of it) ... writers do *not* put their own avatars in the game. Editorial would pull 'em out, and the rest of the gang would mercilessly pummel them. Seriously, if CanRay was in the books, you think the freelancers could stop themselves from abusing him in every product? :)

Personally, I'd love to see a little bit of that old giveback to the community at large, but, these days, RPG companies are owned by conglomerates, not three guys in a garage. There're legal hurdles, NDA agreements, copyright issues ... it makes it tricky.