CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #300 on: <01-09-12/1439:03> »
I'm a Human.
I thought you were a Canadian?

;D
Canadians aren't humans?  Guess that's how we survive in our environment and cause our enemies to piss themselves in terror when we take to a battlefield.  ;)
Unless faced with Siberians.

Just sayin' :)
Actually I met an old couple that were Siberians.  They were complaining about the cold and the wind and how it was so warm and nice in The Old Country.

I asked them where "The Old Country" was for them, apologizing in advance if it was rude to do so (It wasn't, they loved telling a "Nice Young Man" about things like that, unlike most people in my generation), and when I heard Siberia, my eyes went totally wide.  Good thing I had my back to the wind, or they'd have frozen painfully.

Of course, I live in Winnipeg, which is harsh by Canadian standards.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Plumbum

• Newb
  • The Ultimate Noob
« Reply #301 on: <01-11-12/0619:11> »
So, I guess this is the right place to say,

First of all, hi. A nice little introductory hello. Second, I haven't played dice RPs before (only diceless play by post RPs) and I'm thinking of breaking in with SR. Good idea or no?

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #302 on: <01-11-12/0623:03> »
It's a very good idea  ;)

SR is a great system and a really rich setting.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Plumbum

• Newb
  • The Ultimate Noob
« Reply #303 on: <01-11-12/0628:39> »
Ah, cool, so could anyone point me somewhere good to start?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #304 on: <01-11-12/0657:24> »
Ah, cool, so could anyone point me somewhere good to start?

Check your local Geek Spots, any local comic & game shops, etc. They'll usually know what's going on, as far as RPG groups that are looking for players.

As for starting in the source material, give the Shadowrun 4th, Anniversary Edition core book (commonly called SR4A on the forums) a good read-through, including the splat-text between chapters. That will get you up to speed on continuity and the basic system and give you some good examples of the attitude and style of the game.

Runner's Companion goes into a lot more detail on things like your lifestyle and how to make less-standard characters, while Attitude goes into more depth on the style and trends of the universe, as well as introducing some nifty little toys like Armor Weave for clothing. Also, Arsenal is a must-have if you're wanting to tweak and tune your equipment, since it has the rules for Armor / Weapon / Vehicle mods.

Beyond that, you should pick up Unwired if you think you might want to be a hacker, or Street Magic if you want to play any magical types, since those have very detailed work-ups of how it all goes down, both from a Fluff and Crunch perspective. If you go Adept Way of the Adept is practically mandatory, since it provides a major, badly needed boost to Adepts.

Oh, and there's also War!... and yes the ! is part of the name. War! is most notable for showcasing higher end, military grade gear and introducing some of the more powerful bits of game gear, like Softweave armor and the Battle Rifle weapon type. Also some decent fluff for someone who wants to be an ex-military type, or a table that wants to be Soldiers instead of Runners.
« Last Edit: <01-11-12/0703:06> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #305 on: <01-11-12/0736:56> »
And Augmentation for cyberware etc.

But start with the core rulebook and find someone to play with. A handfuld of friends should do it.

Regards
Rasmus

Plumbum

• Newb
  • The Ultimate Noob
« Reply #306 on: <01-11-12/0744:06> »
Right, I'd be quite a bit more likely to find games online (especially because I don't know the 'geek spots' in my area and the nearest city is a 3-mile bike away anyway)

And am I likely to find the sourcebooks in PDF format?

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #307 on: <01-11-12/0756:06> »
Drivethrurpg.com (hope I have spelled the adress corect)

I don't know where you live but it should be possible to find other games at hobby stores and probably around a campus.

Personally I think the rpg experience is a lot better when done in the flesh.

Rasmus

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #308 on: <01-11-12/0842:18> »
Right, I'd be quite a bit more likely to find games online (especially because I don't know the 'geek spots' in my area and the nearest city is a 3-mile bike away anyway)

And am I likely to find the sourcebooks in PDF format?
Welcome to the forums! Have fun, ask questions and try not to wake the sleeping dragon in the corner.

Drive Thru RPG and BattleCorps both have all your PDF needs!

Diamondfist

• Newb
« Reply #309 on: <01-11-12/1902:37> »
Welcome to the forums, Plumbum! I hope you enjoy your stay, have some fun and hope you enjoy learning SR!
Why do people always wait so long before they go to their gorilla?

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #310 on: <01-13-12/1024:16> »
I was looking for a topic like this and in typical fashion, it was right under my nose ^^

So hello all! I have been a Shadowrun player since SR3. Shadowrun has been my first pen and paper RPG and still remains my favourite. I'm really enjoying the latest books, I think the writing is pretty good and CGL is taking Shadowrun to interesting directions. I registered here because I think it's great to be able to discuss with the actual writers.
Apart from this, I'm a video game developer from France and I have a website dedicated to Shadowrun called Fondation Draco since 2004. Last but not least, I think there are not enough Dwarf Adepts in the Shadowrun books :)
See you around!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #311 on: <01-13-12/1029:53> »
I think there are not enough Dwarfs in the Shadowrun books

Fixed =P

Welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: <01-13-12/1112:06> by Chrona »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #312 on: <01-13-12/1109:36> »
Welcome to the forums! Have fun, ask questions and try not to wake the sleeping dragon in the corner.

As for dwarf adepts:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm with ya...

Diamondfist

• Newb
« Reply #313 on: <01-13-12/1815:27> »
Welcome, Marzhin!   8)
Why do people always wait so long before they go to their gorilla?

thedarkelf007

• Newb
« Reply #314 on: <01-16-12/2227:27> »
Hi All,

New to posting on the forums, but been reading them on an off for the last four years as I have run a game that has reached 64 sessions for a fortnightly game (my current longest game, my last was a 3.5 D&D up to 63 sessions).

Thought I would join in on things and say hi :)
GM of a fortnightly game started in 2009