NEWS

Which Cities/Settings have the most supporting material?

• 14 Replies

Nautilust

• Newb
« on: <06-08-18/1848:30> »
Which Cities/Settings have the most supporting material? Excluding Seattle which probably has the most out there.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <06-09-18/1352:21> »
Which Cities/Settings have the most supporting material? Excluding Seattle which probably has the most out there.

i'm guessing that its Denver, I mean, it had an entire Boxed set & was home to 1 of the SR Missions campaigns & a recent trio of modules.

That said,  I think there is a decent amount of material for Chicago & New York in the USA as well as some support for the UK/Nog as well with products over 5 editions.

But Denver would be my guess for #1 coverage outside of Seattle.

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #2 on: <06-09-18/1423:22> »
(Note: I own all the 5th ed. books, but haven't read them all yet- just finished up a multi-year 4th ed campaign, so it's quite possible I'm missing info, but slowly catching up!)

Yeah, the Denver Box Set is great! Still have my copy, along with the CAS and Aztlan sector passes ;D , and would love to see more location highlights with their own 'local flavor'. I also really like the "Seattle Sprawl" box set Catalyst put out a couple years ago.

London also seems like it may have quite a bit of *current* coverage, between the "London Falling" Missions compilation book (really looking forward to a release of the Chicago ones) and "Court of Shadows" book.

Boston has it's own book "Lockdown", as well as a video game delving into what's going on there in the 2070's.

I'd love to see an official American release of some of the Germany info in a big box set. Keeping in mind Pegasus has a bunch of books focusing more on Europe, it's likely that Germany/Berlin probably has the most supporting material... though unfortunately you have to read German to access a lot of it (or find translations)

Crunch~

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-09-18/1429:31> »
Seattle is obviously the "home" of Shadowrun.

After that, Denver and Chicago both got serious attention over the course of several sourcebooks.  And then each hosted the organized play campaign for several years.. giving each city about 24 SRM adventures.

SRM is moving to Neo-Tokyo this year, so in about 4 years Neo-Tokyo will be one of the better-supported sprawls as well (as of right now it's only got 1 source I'm aware of: half of the Corporate Enclaves SB is devoted to the Neo-Tokyo sprawl)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <06-09-18/1440:02> »
Seattle, Denver, Chicago, New York. I'm sure the German side probably has several cities with good levels of details, I just don't know what they are.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-09-18/1608:55> »
Sixth World cities in recent sourcebooks:
  • SR4 Runner Havens: Seattle and Hong Kong (plus minor info on Capetown, Caracas, Hamburg, Istanbul)
  • SR4 Corporate Enclaves: Los Angeles and Neo-Tokyo (plus Dubai, Europort, Manhattan, Nairobi, Tenochtitlán)
  • SR4 Feral Cities: Chicago and Lagos (plus Bogotá, GeMiTo, Geneva, Karavan, Sarajevo)
  • SR4 Spy Games: Denver
  • SR4 Conspiracy Theories: London and Dee Cee
  • SR4 Twilight Horizon: Las Vegas
  • SR5 Stolen Souls: Manhattan
  • SR5 Hard Targets: Havana
  • SR5 Cutting Aces: Constantinople

There have also been "Shadows in Focus: City by Shadow" digital supplements in SR5 for Butte, Cheyenne, Metropole, Morocco, and San Francisco.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-10-18/0257:15> »
Berlin has decent support in Germany, as does the Rhein-Ruhr Megaplex.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-13-18/1720:23> »
San Francisco has a 5ed PDF only udpate and a decent coverage in the previous edition - and the California Free State book from 2ed is awesome.

And yes, if you do speak German, you have a lot being covered on Berlin and other parts. Apart for Germany, in Europe, sadly, only London is well covered. In France, Marseille had a fair description in 4th Ghost Cartel french version, but IMHO, not for more than a couple of game.

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <06-14-18/1820:29> »
As a german gamemaster yes,Berlin comes in clear first.

Then it's either Hamburg ( which has some good infos in english as well !!!  "thumbs up" )  metioned  in Runner havens ( 4ed),

or Essen Sprawl ( because here be dragons  ;) ).

The other cities/ places with some support are Frankfurt, Karlsruhe, the sox ( radioactive dead zone in saarbrücken) and Munich.

Vieanna ( Austria ) has recently been given an update which is nice.

The rest of europe is sadly dark  :(

There is some info about Barcelona in Bloody Buissness but not much.

Istanbul has been given some nice support in cutting aces !!

There is no book about France or at laest Paris, which I honestly do not understand. Most people  abraod probably know more about Paris than Berlin.

And Paris has everything already today ! the auperrich, the super poor, Museeums full of stuff to stolen, ancient ruins that are probably magical in the sixed world and the french government which the corp headquarters.
I'm german, but honestly Paris offers more to shadowrun than Berlin ever could....

I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <06-14-18/1832:21> »
But if you want to play abroad try Hamburg. It is has been a harbour/trade city for centuries and so you're american characters would easily be able to blend in, because of all the international sailers and buisiness people. there is also no need to bother with language softs, all the natives there speak english. There is also always stealing and smuggling jobs, protecting merchandise and V.I.P's on buisiness trips, so much to do for runners. It is a trade center after all. If you cannot get something in Hamburg, then you cannnot get it in germany.

Or you can go Pink Mohawk and protect the city it's ships and your boss from constant attacts by toxic spirits from the North sea ...it looks something like this  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmck_Eu323Q

I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Nautilust

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <06-21-18/2046:29> »
Thanks guys, I ended up going with New York. But i'm sure there's a point where that's going to get boring, or they'll have to leave and we'll move setting elsewhere.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-21-18/2117:23> »
Seattle has long been the default setting for Shadowrun, so there’s a ton of material going back many editions for that place.  Boston, New Orleans (a favorite of mine), Neo-Tokyo, Hong Kong, Montreal, Metropol, Chicago, and a few other places have gotten treatments as well.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #12 on: <06-21-18/2328:29> »
Is there an english translation of the material on Berlin somewhere?
Anyone know?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <06-25-18/1703:22> »
There is a short, but good chapter about Hamburg in Runner havens 4E....I have not yet found anything about Berlin in English. Most of the matrial has not been translated.

sidslick

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <06-26-18/2013:36> »
Berlin is on my to-do list, after I've finished Europort.  Berlin will take me while to translate though - I'm not a native German speaker, so I'm relying on various translation software to wade through it.  SOX came out pretty well though from the French.  Check out my other cities, taken from canon documentation, fitted to a standard template and updated/enhanced.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Shadowrun%20Cities

Enjoy.
Travel the world; meet new people; crush them for all they are worth!