NEWS

Verjigorm Stats for SR5

• 2 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <06-04-18/0923:37> »
Hi all,

for the finale of my current (and rather epic) campaign of Shadowrun, I've decided to bring back one of the Horror mentioned in Earthdawn: Verjigorm. Obliviously, it won't be about blasting the face of the creature which is impossible, but more fighting some goons, while the entity will be half manifesting and having some of its power messing with my PCs.

I've opted to document here the way I'm doing as it maybe interesting to others (and be a nice source of inspiration) but also to get some feedback on the mechanics I've designed (they may be flawed).

I've decided to keep it simple. The manifested, diminished form of the Horror is going to be single stats - Force 12 (thus Magic 12 and Willpower 12, limits to 12), with an initiative of 5d6+12. Each of its power will requires a Complex action. As an implementation of the effect of the Horror Mark, I also gave the Horror the power Influence.

(The power are described at length the Earthdawn book "Horrors", I'm just going to resume them below, please refer to this book for more details)

Horror Mark

Using its own magic against a character, the horror mark him or her on successful Magic + Willpower <=> Logic + Willpower (+ Counterspelling). Once marked, the character remains mark for a year and day. It is possible to notice the mark on his aura (5 hits). As long as the mark is there, the Horror can use its Influence power to manipulate the character - regardless of distance. However due to the far distance (currently) of the Horror metaplane from the 6th World, the Horror can only uses its Influence power once a month.

(note: the Horror set a limit of 5000 miles, but as this is more of a plot device, I've opted to wave it).

Thread Horror

Require to have a Horror Mark on target

The Horror remotely corrupt the magic of the character. Each time the character uses Edge with its Magic attribute, the Horror gets a chance to renew any mark it has on the character (restarting the counter of a year and a day). Also the Influence power is refreshed, whether or not a month has passed since last time it used it.

Corrupt Karma (Edge)

Interrupt Action (-10)

The Horror, with a successful Magic + Willpower <=> Logic + Willpower (+ Counterspelling), can prevent a character to use Edge for a test.

Cursed Luck

Interrupt Action (-10)

If the Horror passes a Willpower + Magic <=> Willpower + Magic (+ Counterspelling), it turns as many fails hit to one (thus increasing a lot the chance for a critical glitch)

Let me know what you think about it :)

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-05-18/0832:04> »
Neat.
Statwise though its initiative should be 24 + initiative dice (12 from reaction and 12 from intuition). Naturally that would boost its initiative to crazy level- so maybe "just" 24 + 2d6?

Its been a while since Ive played earthdawn, but didnt they also have the ability to "reward"  characters with karma/edge? Like: kill that guy to further my evil goals, Ill refresh your edge. Or else...

Have you thought about having the players travel to the metaplane of earthdawn to get a hold of Verjigorms true name or another weapon to be used against him?
Then the players could team up with obsidimen and windlings etc. To battle horrors.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-05-18/1343:05> »
Well technically the Horror metaplane is barely reachable in the Shadowrun era. The mana is not high enough and even the horrors themselves need to build a metaplanar bridge to get there. As for finding the true name of Verjogorn, I guess it would be possible but it would IMHO require a 3 years long campaign of dangerous trials ! :)

(Yes, maybe 2d6 + 24 is enough indeed).