NEWS

Lifestyles, Vehicles and Facilities Question

• 3 Replies

Shadowhack

• Newb
  • We live in a dystopian society right now.
« on: <09-19-19/0117:00> »
1. Can a lifestyle include a vehicle as part of it?
2. If you buy a facility can you live there or would this have to be in conjunction with a lifestyle?
3. Are these questions just up to the GM?
Thanks?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-19-19/0223:11> »
We'd have to look at the detailed lifestyle rules. In 4e and 5e (though with differing rules) there were rules for hosting a facility in your Garage. As for vehicles: Possibly, depending on the GM (can't remember the previous-edition rules exactly), but keep in mind it wouldn't be a vehicle you want associated with your runner job. I do remember rules in 5e about public transport, which Low Lifestyle could get for just 1 lifestyle point and without additional costs.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-19-19/1558:38> »
5E's Run Faster included a lot of Lifestyle options, including a Garage:

Point Cost: *
Type: Asset
Monthly Nuyen Cost: *
Minimum Lifestyle: *
A garage is a large covered area with enough space to park and maintain a single vehicle. With the purchase of a Shop (p. 443, SR5) related to the vehicle, 1 box of damage to the vehicle can be repaired per week without additional financial cost, as the cost is absorbed by the lifestyle. Purchasing a Facility increases the repair rate to 2 boxes of damage. Use the Build and Repair rules for quicker repairs (p.145, SR5, and p. 143, Run & Gun). This asset can be purchased more than once so that multiple vehicles can be serviced at the same time. The points cost, monthly nuyen cost, and minimum lifestyle depend on the nature of the vehicle, as listed in the table.

Enough space for a small car cost one point or 50 per month
Enough space for a large car cost two points or 100 per month (both were available at Medium)

Any other kind of vehicle required High (Boat) or Luxury (Aircraft or Helicopter)

Nothing I saw in Run Faster included starting with a vehicle, but you could spend karma for vehicle packs (some of which were just the vehicle, but others included a few other things)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-19-19/1634:38> »
1. Can a lifestyle include a vehicle as part of it?
2. If you buy a facility can you live there or would this have to be in conjunction with a lifestyle?
3. Are these questions just up to the GM?
Thanks?

1) Every-day transportation has always been a part of Lifestyle.  Low? You have a public transportation pass.  High? You have a chauffeur.
2) You always have to pay for lifestyle.  if you don't pay, you're in effect paying the 0 nuyen Squatter lifestyle, even if it's in your truck or in your garage.
3) Basically,  yes.  Personally, I require lifestyles of Low and higher to be linked to a SIN, real or fake.  I'd also require the Facility to be linked to a SIN, too.  I allow lifestyles of Middle and higher to come with a car appropriate to the lifestyle, but as a part of your lifestyle it's linked to the SIN you use for that lifestyle.  Using it for criminal activities is not recommended.  And if it gets damaged/destroyed, your lifestyle costs go up to cover the repair/replacement.
« Last Edit: <09-19-19/1637:08> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.