NEWS

[6e] Specialization when using complex forms?

• 5 Replies

taranion

• Newb
« on: <07-06-21/1138:06> »
Most complex forms require a test of either Electronics or Cracking.
Can you get a specialization in those skills for using complex forms or at least for specific complex forms?

When casting spells you can use the skill Sorcery with a specialization in Spellcasting. I expected something similar for complex forms but did not find anything in the CRB.

In 5e you could specialize in Software for specific complex forms. "Software" is now a specialization of "Electronics", but there is no mention of complex forms.

Mycroft

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-06-21/1200:06> »
I know that it lists the specializations as not being exhaustive. For Electronics, I would see "Complex Forms" as an appropriate specialization. Why not Software? I see Complex Forms as something other that bits and bytes that make up binaries that run on hosts and devices. They are some phantom effect that exists outside of the mundane Matrix and is solely in the realm of technomancers. For Cracking, given that it is only Resonance Spike and creating a specialization for only one CF. Instead I would just lump that one into Cybercombat.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-07-21/1329:44> »
This is among the reasons why I houseruled Complex Forms to be used with Tasking. So essentially, Tasking is the umbrella "do technomancer stuff" skill at my tables, and its specializations are Weaving, Compiling, Registering and Decompiling (the latter being also used for the killing or"despelling" of Complex Forms)

Kinda vexes me how the skill conversion from 5th to 6th was handled here. Using the Software skill in 5th was already a bit weird, but at least it was a seperate skill that wasn´t strictly necessary for other Matrix users. Splitting Complex Forms over two seperate skills that are both not exclusive to Technomancers is counterintuitive, adds unnecessary confusion and further adds to the impression that complex forms are just variations of existing Matrix actions instead of truly unique, paranormal feats. Not the worst fail in 6th Edition, but a missed opportunity.

« Last Edit: <07-07-21/1335:36> by Finstersang »

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-07-21/1413:11> »
This is among the reasons why I houseruled Complex Forms to be used with Tasking.

I admit, before I checked how Complex Forms are threaded in SR6, I assumed it would be done using Tasking, so I can perfectly understand your houserule.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-08-21/0959:44> »
This is among the reasons why I houseruled Complex Forms to be used with Tasking. So essentially, Tasking is the umbrella "do technomancer stuff" skill at my tables, and its specializations are Weaving, Compiling, Registering and Decompiling (the latter being also used for the killing or"despelling" of Complex Forms)

Kinda vexes me how the skill conversion from 5th to 6th was handled here. Using the Software skill in 5th was already a bit weird, but at least it was a seperate skill that wasn´t strictly necessary for other Matrix users. Splitting Complex Forms over two seperate skills that are both not exclusive to Technomancers is counterintuitive, adds unnecessary confusion and further adds to the impression that complex forms are just variations of existing Matrix actions instead of truly unique, paranormal feats. Not the worst fail in 6th Edition, but a missed opportunity.

Funny thing here is that I specifically used existing "computer" skills because I didn't want to make them "unique paranormal" abilities. Instead I wanted to reinforce that they are the same thing as decker options just executed in a different manner (ie no deck or special access required)
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-08-21/1239:04> »
Funny thing here is that I specifically used existing "computer" skills because I didn't want to make them "unique paranormal" abilities. Instead I wanted to reinforce that they are the same thing as decker options just executed in a different manner (ie no deck or special access required)
I think that's a better take than perpetuating a totally separate skill line.  Ideally, Tasking wouldn't need to exist either.  I have never liked how much brain space technomancers take up in players' heads.  Learning how to run Matrix is hard enough; learning two different ways to do everything is too much to ask.  The less mechanical difference the better.  I wish the difference between deckers and TM's felt more like differences in magic tradition than completely different ways to do the same thing.