NEWS

Legal Gear

• 110 Replies

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« on: <11-14-13/0838:53> »
Looking at p418, it appears that you only need to test availability if you purchase the item on the black market.

"To purchase an item off the books, make an availability test." P418.

So this implies that if you use a fake/real SIN, the item is legal or you have a licence for it, then there is no test. Is this correct, as it seems at odds with the p416 section on standard goods.

What about delivery?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <11-14-13/1017:15> »
Black Market Goods are opposed by Standard Goods, which are "Standard items with no Availability rating". So you roll a test for any item that has a non-zero Availability Rating since they are only available if you go through tougher channels.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <11-14-13/1027:46> »
Joe Average, UCAS national with no criminal record, wants to buy a bow (rating 3).

He walks into his local sporting supplies store and looks for the bows and crossbow section. Joe cannot find any though... Enquiring a member of staff he is informed that bows - although legal to own without a licence - are not available for general sale. The shop cannot even order him one...

On the way out of the shop an anonymous message pops up on his comlink. "I might be able to help you out. Meet me at Reno's at 10pm. Bring a certified credstick."

Joe shakes his head. What a crazy world.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-14-13/1033:22> »
Strange that SR5 does not describe how to buy goods with an availability rating while keeping the data trail.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-13/1050:31> »
If you disagree with it, houserule it. It's dead simple, really.

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <11-14-13/1058:23> »
Out of interest, do you agree with it?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-13/1104:11> »
That rarer legal items still take time to find? Yes. However, I wouldn't necessarily wrap it all into the black market.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-14-13/1137:08> »
Of course you can buy items on the record.  Not using the black market. There are several legal items that you according to rules only can buy on the black market without leaving a data trail. That is just silly.

As I said. Strange that they didn't bother to explain it in the book.

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-14-13/1140:11> »
To Michael:

Custom items, things made to order and/or made to measure. These obviously have lead times.

For example. Last time I brought a sofa, it took 7 weeks to arrive. I wonder what availability rating sofas have in SR5? But what about mass produced items like a comlink? Surely a SINner can walk into a downtown electronic store and walk out with a Fairlight Caliban if he has the credit?

So some things (sofas) can have low availability, but long lead times. Some things (like Fairlight Calibans) can have 14 availability, but common sense suggests should be 'in stock' somewhere in a city like Seattle. Plenty of 1%ers would be able to drop 8k on a shiny thing and someone will be selling it.

So, do SINners need to go to the black market for comlinks? Sofas? No. Imo, that would be ridiculous. Do you agree?

What legal items would you include in the black market and which would you exclude? One or two examples should do.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <11-14-13/1144:06> »
I'm not so sure a Fairlight Caliban is freely accessable in stores. A cheapass commlink, sure, but a Caliban? Not really.

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <11-14-13/1152:11> »
Matter of opinion. I can walk into Harrods can walk out with any sort of ridiculously exclusive and expensive things. £30,000 iPods for instance. I doubt SR is any different.

However, you seem to have missed my key question.

What legal items (with an availability rating) would you have as only black market and which in stores?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <11-14-13/1200:55> »
I didn't miss the question. I am, however, not interested in thinking up an answer.

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <11-14-13/1207:59> »
I don't believe you are able to. Not one that sustains your position.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <11-14-13/1216:59> »
Honestly, with your tone I don't feel like proving you wrong.

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <11-14-13/1226:37> »
I doubt that...