NEWS

Restrictive Character creation?

• 7 Replies

Damnyankee

• Newb
« on: <02-03-11/2257:09> »
You may or may not be following the startup of my merc game in the PBP game section.  AS this game is about mercenaries and not runners, and a specific type of mercenary team, I've been fairly hard on character creation, to the point I think that I've bruised some egos.  How restrictive is Ok for a game?  Has anyone else ever told a player that their concept did not fit with the game? How would you handle this?

Damnyankee

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-11/0153:26> »
All of the below is my default GMing response, moreso than an answer that's specific to your campaign (which I'll go check out now, but in the meantime here's an answer to your general question rather than to a specific scenario):

Be as restrictive as you want to, but be open to suggestions from players at the same time.  You want everyone to have fun, but that includes you.  If someone's concept just doesn't mesh with what you have in mind for the campaign, then the concept just doesn't mesh -- it's better to ask someone to change their character a little, or to let someone else entirely into a game, than it is to have a stressed out GM or a GM who's not comfortable running his own game. 

That said, do your best to keep an open mind over whatever character creation disputes may be arising, and if everyone is complaining about the same thing (as a for instance) it might be a hint.  Listen to what people want changed, and listen to why, and if their reasons make sense maybe change the house rules or creation restraints...but, ultimately, it's up to you. 

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-04-11/0402:02> »
I have ....a Kind of "Spockian" Philosophy:
the happiness & wellbeing of Many is more Important,than the happiness of some(or ONE)
So whenever a Player comes up with a concept which really doesn't fit the Campaign, is Munchkinnyor would spoil the Fun of the others I would say "Nay"
but Luckily this happens really really seldom. IIrc once in the last 3 Years

with a Lucky Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-11/0810:29> »
the happiness & wellbeing of Many is more Important,than the happiness of some(or ONE)
So whenever a Player comes up with a concept which really doesn't fit the Campaign, is Munchkinnyor would spoil the Fun of the others I would say "Nay"

with a Lucky Dance
Medicineman
QFT, but as Critias pointed out in his post, remember that "the One" may wind up being you.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-11/0852:03> »
Just read through the PBP thread and it doesn't look like things are going too terribly badly from a restrictions standpoint.  I haven't seen any complaints about people wanting X and not being able to get it because you restricted them.  The biggest issue is people stepping on each others' toes, but that's more from people acting before communicating.  Give them time to sort out the characters they want between them and they'll likely fill the roles and become more of the merc team you're looking for.

If there is any other issue, it's the type of game.  Shadowrun is a game that is heavy on autonomy.  You usually have a small group of characters who negotiate things on their own and perform the tasks on their own, all for their own benefit.  Merc games can be like that (and it seems like some people might have had that expectation), but they can also be "cog in the machine" games where the characters have little-to-no autonomy.  In this light, it's not much different than playing a "corporate man" game.  It takes a minute to get into that mindset and I don't know if the level of autonomy was entirely clear from the start.

I'd recommend centralizing your game info in the first post.  Things like free equipment, recommended roles, filled roles, required skills, level of autonomy, names of key contacts (especially immediate superiors), and that sort of thing.  Things should go a bit smoother if it's all in one place.  Update as needed to reflect changes and generally let the players discuss amongst themselves.  If someone is going off track, maybe send a PM instead of posting in the thread, then update the first post for clarity.

Good luck and enjoy the game!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-11/1330:12> »
Having read over the game thread in question last night, I'd say -- especially for a heavily themed Merc game -- you're on the right track.  Some of your requirements feel a little strange (listing what people "should be able to do" instead of just giving them hard numbers to go by, IE a "minimum die pool for firing Automatics" or whatever)...but they're all in keeping with the theme of the game, even if they're presented a little oddly.

Even for a game with a clear "feel" in mind, though, remember to listen to the occasional "outside the box" player.  A dedicated cogs-in-the-machine paramilitary game might be a lot of fun, and having everyone display a general competence at soldier stuff certainly makes sense -- but don't forget the possibility of someone not fitting the mold.  They figured out ways to throw geeky scientists in alongside the soldiers in Stargate, right?  A civilian consultant (Ellen Ripley) went along with the Colonial Marines in Aliens, too.  Corporal Upham, the translator, didn't git in too well with Captain Miller and the rest of the Rangers in Saving Private Ryan, either.

If someone's heart is really, really, set on a weenie that doesn't fit the merc image, ask yourself if you can't fit them in somehow, still.  It might mean they miss the first few scenes of the adventure, it might mean adding in some MacGuffin of a plot hook later on (the data terminal that needs to be hacked by the civilian Matrix consultant that set up security in the first place, the magical artifact that needs a PhD in Thaumaturgical Archaeology to take a look at it instead of a merc combat mage, the tribe out in the middle of nowhere that's so small their dialect isn't covered by linguasofts so you need an anthropologist along to get information from them about the crashed satellite)...if someone's just got to play something besides a die-hard merc, if you want to, there's probably a way to cram 'em into the game.

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-11/1556:08> »
than it is to have a stressed out GM or a GM who's not comfortable running his own game. 

I'd have to say that as a player if the GM or DM (drek bad taste in my fingers now) isn't happy ain't nobody happy. I mean how the heck is he supposed to lead a group that he didn't plan for? It should be both open for the players but also in control of the GM. So I'd Damnyankee, you're doing great. Although it doesn't sound like a game I'd be into. You're fine don't worry about it ;D
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-04-11/1726:24> »

with a Lucky Dance
Medicineman
QFT, but as Critias pointed out in his post, remember that "the One" may wind up being you.
(If I would be the One, I'm not gonna save Zion)
I have nearly 30 active Chars, this can't happen ;)

with an offtopic Dance
Medicineman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8