NEWS

4E South Amazonian setting book request!

• 22 Replies

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« on: <04-09-11/2023:28> »
Hello all.

As a Brazilian, I'd love to see my country covered in one of the 4E setting books.

Brazil, not Amazonia. We do got War!, but that only covers Bogotá and the Colombian/Aztlan boundaries, not south-South America. I was thinking a 2-city-in-depth-with-4-city-reviews kinda book, with Metrópole covered as an in-depth city. That way you guys could delve into regional stuff too, like the True Brazilians mercs from War!, the Santos Ziggurat (from the XBOX videogame) and maybe even some other unique features, much like Lagos' has.

So, what y'all think of it?
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <04-10-11/0133:09> »
So, "Shadows of Latin American" anyone?

*Drives into a bomb shelter*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-10-11/0236:52> »
Brazil, not Amazonia.

Brazil doesn't exist anymore in the 6th World - or am I mistaken here?

The Seven

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-10-11/0313:05> »

Isn't it out-of-print and 3E? Something like the 60's? I was thinking something more contemporary.

Brazil, not Amazonia.

No, it doesn't. It's Amazonia, now. Damn Hestaby. Still, I could enjoy seeing what would get done to Metrópole.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <04-10-11/0340:05> »

Isn't it out-of-print and 3E? Something like the 60's? I was thinking something more contemporary.
Out of print?  Never saw print.  It's a thing that tends to get a lot of folks upset by even mentioning it...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-10-11/1155:51> »
Brazil, not Amazonia.

No, it doesn't. It's Amazonia, now. Damn Hestaby. Still, I could enjoy seeing what would get done to Metrópole.

You want a book detailing Brazil, even though you know that the country doesn't exist anymore? Wtf?

The Seven

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <04-10-11/1641:19> »
Brazil, not Amazonia.

You want a book detailing Brazil, even though you know that the country doesn't exist anymore? Wtf?

No, not Brazil. Metrópole. Which is south Amazonia. Which is currently Brazilian territory.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #7 on: <04-10-11/2123:05> »
For the life of me I cannot find the thread with the link in it, but someone put up a link to the Dumpshock site that had the SoLA PDFs. Might have something in there for you.

Yeah, a Latin/South America book would be nice though. *scans the skies for impending death from above*
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #8 on: <04-10-11/2206:18> »
If you don't already have it, Sixth World Almanac has a (four page) section on Amazonia. Perhaps they could redo Runner Havens and replace the Seattle section (redundant with Seattle 2072) with Metrópole... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Two more things: Hualpa is the boss of Amazonia, not Hestaby. And please never mention the 2007 "Shadowrun" video game ever again.
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

The Seven

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <04-11-11/0002:04> »
If you don't already have it, Sixth World Almanac has a (four page) section on Amazonia. Perhaps they could redo Runner Havens and replace the Seattle section (redundant with Seattle 2072) with Metrópole... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah, I won't.

Two more things: Hualpa is the boss of Amazonia, not Hestaby. And please never mention the 2007 "Shadowrun" video game ever again.

Oops.

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-11-11/0619:22> »
No, not Brazil. Metrópole. Which is south Amazonia. Which is currently Brazilian territory.

Yeah. Whatever.

EmperorPenguin

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-11-11/1338:46> »
I can't blame you for wanting Shadowrun material on your hometown/country of residence - who doesn't!  We won't all be so lucky, though.  I think Winnipeg got a blurb in either SOTA or some other UCAS book.  A whole paragraph!

Other than that, you could always move to Seattle....

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #12 on: <04-15-11/1644:21> »
Well... I had plans form a campaign in my home city (which is Porto Alegre), and even though the Sixth World Almanac even say it exists (which is a lot, considering how this things goes) I can't be happy with it. There's almost no information about it, and (What-is-now) Brazil as a whole is almost completely left out of anything (Amazonia is one of these great areas with great potential in Shadowrun, but that the books touch just a little; are they afraid of us?).
I would really like to see how the developers see the nations of our Mercosul...
But I have almost no hope in it...

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #13 on: <04-15-11/1758:45> »
Be happy that your city is mentioned as existing without actually having any source material devoted to it! Now you can create whatever you want, and I guarantee that whatever you create will fit your vision better than whatever the developers come up with. It can actually be frustrating when you're very familiar with a place in real life, and then trying to reconcile that with what the Shadowrun universe has presented. For instance, I live in Seattle and sometimes I have to stop myself from going, "It shouldn't be this way!". (I solve the problem by remembering that it's fiction.)

In your specific case, I can only imagine that the lack of material on Amazonia reflects a lack of demand rather than anything Catalyst/FanPro/FASA have had against the region. Amazonia plays a big part in the Shadowrun universe, but the vast majority of the nation is an awakened rainforest and the government has never signed the Business Recognition Accords. (So most of the country is unpopulated, and the part that is populated lacks most of the megacorps that runners usually work for/against.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #14 on: <04-16-11/1028:11> »
In part I agree with you, DesVoux. But I already create and change whatever I want when I plan a game. But I'd like to read a little more of official material to give me ideas.

In my games, usually AIs are a lot more mysterious and rare that I see them in RAW material, but I like reading the references of they as being not so scarce to give me some ideas. The same with Amazonia. My view of it is quite different from the official one, but I'd like to know more about the official one, as most of the time, even when I don't want to use the source material, it has a nice research job on it.

And it's a little difficult to plan campaigns here, since, as you said, megacorps presence is not as intense.