NEWS

Cat's Paw Hacking Program

• 4 Replies

Krindi

• Newb
« on: <08-28-15/0220:21> »
So the Cat's Paw program seems like it could be rather powerful at first review. The negative dice pool modifier seems like it would apply against their defense tests as well as their offense tests. Am I correct in that the penalty remains until you swap out the program, they successfully use the Crash Program action on you, or reboot their device?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-15/0251:40> »
In my opinion, this program is a trap or at least only has a niche use.

One reboot will undo your work and it won't be very effective unless you already got a few marks. But then you probably could already do a lot of other things like GIGO.

Data Spike is useful because it needs no marks to work and if it does damage it's permanent. Cat's paw takes this advantage away.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Krindi

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-15/0316:30> »
That's a compelling argument. They probably put this program in specifically for the Like a Boss negative quality huh?

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-15/1202:20> »
Considering you can use jammers frensel fabric or Universal Mirroring Fabric Smoke and mirrors etc to create dice pool penalties (hack someone else cyberdeck to make it run smoke and mirrors level 5 without them having noise reduction)

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-15/1306:24> »
No no no.  You don't use this on other hackers--  Wait, hmm, it says it only affects matrix actions, I think.

Still, this would be fun to use to screw with someone's AR glasses or someone's car.  I originally thought it was just "all rolls using that device".  Like, "I can't use my smartgun because the smartlink ends up just clouding my vision and lieing to me!"
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.