NEWS

SR5 Season 5 "Hot Patch Errata v1.0"

• 56 Replies

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #30 on: <09-28-13/1121:54> »
just full auto them in the face. Ouch. Called shot full auto. Sacrifice 4 dice for more damage. I just wish there was one that could up AP
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Tacitus05

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <10-01-13/0229:50> »
I think that's the right way to look at it. Either players break games, or GMs TPK. If the goal of SRMs is to get people into to shadowrun, an errata on it is better sooner than later.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #32 on: <10-05-13/0533:40> »
Question: If a Mystic Adept has e.g. 6 Magic and 5 Power Points from chargen, and they take an essence drop to 5.0 essence, do they:
1: Lose 1 Magic and 1 Power Point, always losing 1 PP if they lose 1 Magic, or
2: Lose 1 Magic and with Magic >= Chargen-PP not lose a PP, like with Initiation grades?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <10-08-13/1239:42> »
Question: If a Mystic Adept has e.g. 6 Magic and 5 Power Points from chargen, and they take an essence drop to 5.0 essence, do they:
1: Lose 1 Magic and 1 Power Point, always losing 1 PP if they lose 1 Magic, or
2: Lose 1 Magic and with Magic >= Chargen-PP not lose a PP, like with Initiation grades?
gotta be 1 surely. They still haven't bought PP up to Magic level.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #34 on: <10-08-13/1314:05> »
Yes, but with Initiation grades you only lose them if your max magic dips below your Initiation grade. Not to mention chargen difficulties: Do you buy the PP before or after getting the ware? I can argue both ways.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <10-08-13/1630:21> »
Looking for one more clarification on background count, I understand that it effects all magic tests,

does that include drain resistance tests?

I just want to know before I sit down at a table at Con on the Cob
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #36 on: <10-08-13/1807:34> »
Good question, since it effects all tests boosted by Magic. A drain test isn't boosted by Magic normally. Unless you use Centering, or boost your drain with magical means. However, it's also possible that as a magic-related test it's also penalized.
« Last Edit: <10-08-13/1809:15> by Michael Chandra »

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <10-09-13/0936:39> »
Yes, but with Initiation grades you only lose them if your max magic dips below your Initiation grade. Not to mention chargen difficulties: Do you buy the PP before or after getting the ware? I can argue both ways.

I know what makes sense to me, but I also know my opinion isn't worth much. Hopefully this'll all get nicely cleared up soon enough.

Arioch

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <10-10-13/1352:07> »
Good question, since it effects all tests boosted by Magic. A drain test isn't boosted by Magic normally. Unless you use Centering, or boost your drain with magical means. However, it's also possible that as a magic-related test it's also penalized.

Taking drain is not a skill test, it's a damage resistance test. Since you are not making a skill roll you are not loosing any dice to resist drain.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #39 on: <10-10-13/2059:59> »
But neither is Initiative, and you still suffer from Background Count there. Note that it doesn't say any skill test, it says any test that is boosted by Magic.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <10-31-13/1956:40> »
Got another one, sorry. -_-

Upgrading your grid: I assume this will be covered by a future Matrix book, but is there any temporary cost available? Or is the only way for Riggers to not take a -2 on all their rigging actions to buy a Middle Lifestyle?

(Alternatively, an RCC MAY be able to get a Sleaze value of 3 with Exploit+Stealth when it comes to Gridhopping, so the rigger could do Hacking+Logic-2[3] vs 4 dice, 1/9 auto-fail chance.)
« Last Edit: <10-31-13/1959:07> by Michael Chandra »

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <11-03-13/1139:28> »
So...another background count question. In older editions centering could be used to counter penalties to your rolls. In the 5th edition it seems to only work to help with drain. Is there any way to help with background count penalties, I figure if Season 5 is going to be all about Chicago it might be good to know.

Unless it has been and I have missed it somewhere.
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <11-03-13/1440:53> »
In SR4, Centering boosted your Drain Resistance, whereas Adept Centering let you counter penalties. Those are the same in SR5. In SR4, Street Magic introduced Cleansing to temporarily reduce the background count.

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <11-03-13/1835:52> »
Aha that must be what I was thinking, I usually play adepts :)
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <11-29-13/1257:41> »
There's a pretty heated 'discussion' going on right now about one of the Mystic Adepts Hot Patch Errata entries, that we'd like clarification on. It was asked about in August, but no reply has been given yet.

Quote from: Original rules
At character creation, adepts receive Power Points equal to their Magic attribute, while mystic adepts have to buy Power Points with Karma. Subsequently, Power Points can come in two ways. You get a free Power Point whenever you increase your Magic attribute, and you can gain a Power Point through Initiation (p. 324) instead of gaining a metamagic.
Quote from: How patch errata
  • Power Points cost 5 Karma per point instead of 2 Karma per point, and may be purchased up to your starting magic rating.
  • Power Points are lost as normal along with Magic Rating if you lose points of Essence.
  • You do not get a Power Point automatically when you raise your Magic Rating.
  • You may gain additional Power Points by choosing to take a point during Initiation instead of a metamagic ability.
What we disagree on is the bolded part in the hot patch errata:
  • Is it in addition to the normal chargen rules (meaning you can still only buy Power Points with Karma at chargen)?
    So if, for example, you start with 6 Magic but only buy 4 Power Points at chargen, you cannot later buy 2 more Power Points with Karma?
  • Or does it override the normal chargen rules (meaning that if you start with X Magic fresh out of chargen, at any point, even post-chargen, you can buy Power Points for 5 Karma, as long as the total of your Karma-bought Power Points doesn't exceed your starting Magic)?
    So if, for example, you start with 6 Magic but only buy 4 Power Points at chargen, you can later buy 2 more Power Points with Karma?
« Last Edit: <11-29-13/1301:30> by ZeConster »