NEWS

How do Skillsoft ratings translate to actual skills.

• 6 Replies

ordeiberon

• Newb
  • We are but a stepping stone to what we can become
« on: <10-12-18/2042:18> »
Building a skillwire character and got wondering about skillsoft ratings. I've search on here but did not see an answer to how they directly compare now that skills can go up to 12-13 in 5E. Is it one to one with skills and skillsofts will always top at about 6 (Professional skill level by the new chart, see below). That could work as an effective drawback to the skill wires, especially since you can't spend edge on them. Maybe higher skills (7 and above) could be said to require more than just technical knowledge but a certain level creativity in their use that software can't yet replicate?

But it doesn't quite make complete sense as skillsofts were already 1-6 since 3E.

So does the skill rating directly translate and top out at 6 or is R3 skillsoft equal to say Skill 6?

Skill Rating Examples (From the books)

NO RATING - UNAWARE

This is something other than having no ranks in a skill—this is a special level of ignorance. You haven’t the first clue about this skill. This level can only be achieved through a quality (like the Incompetent negative quality, p. 81), or maybe a character history explaining the deficiency. You can’t default the skill, and it never really occurs to you to even use it to solve your problems.

RATING 0 - UNTRAINED

The default level of knowledge obtained through interaction with society and the Matrix. Though untrained, you have a general awareness of the skill, and occasionally may even be able to fake it.

RATING 1 - BEGINNER

You have a little training about how it works, but not always why it works.

RATING 2 - NOVICE

You’re a hobbyist, but not an enthusiast.

RATING 3 - COMPETENT

You’re skilled at basic operations but struggle with complex operations and “tricks.”

RATING 4 - PROFICIENT

You’re comfortable with what you do and perform well under normal pressures. Professional level for most jobs.

RATING 5 - SKILLED

You know how to handle yourself in unfamiliar situations, and can get creative when solving problems.

RATING 6 - PROFESSIONAL

You could easily sell your skills on the open market. This is the maximum skill level for starting player characters.

RATING 7 - VETERAN

You’ve seen a lot of what the skill can do, and what it can’t. Other people ask you how to do it.

RATING 8 - EXPERT

You are a highly sought-after talent. Corporations seek you out (or extract you from other corporations).

RATING 9 - EXCEPTIONAL

Your name is synonymous with the skill. If you have multiple skills at this level, you’re lauded as exceptionally gifted.

RATING 10 - ELITE

You are famous, even among the very best in your field.

RATING 11 - LEGENDARY

You are a paragon to those trying to excel at your skill. Techniques are named after you.

RATING 12–13 - APEX

You have reached the pinnacle of mortal achievement. This expertise represents the top 0.00001% of all practitioners in known history. The very highest rating, 13, can only be reached with the Aptitude quality (p. 72).

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-12-18/2139:22> »
One for one.

6 ranks in a skill means the same thing whether it's natural or chipped.

The way 5e is you simply can't buy skill levels of 7+ is all.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ordeiberon

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-13-18/1012:12> »
One for one.

6 ranks in a skill means the same thing whether it's natural or chipped.

The way 5e is you simply can't buy skill levels of 7+ is all.

Great. Is there a stated in-universe reason skillsofts suddenly dropped to half the skill levels of the general populace, since they matched one to one in 3e and 4e when the skills maxed at 6. I can understand a number of game reasons the new system makes skillssofts more balanced but I was hoping for a lore reason they suddenly dropped.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-13-18/1305:21> »
Skill ranks didn't max at 6 in 3rd edition, if that helps...

ordeiberon

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-13-18/1349:31> »
Skill ranks didn't max at 6 in 3rd edition, if that helps...

Ah, my memory is failing me, you are correct. Wonder why I thought that. Thanks.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <10-13-18/2235:08> »
Man it's been a long time sense I opened the 3rd Ed main book. I forget all about the complexity of 3rd.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <10-14-18/0213:27> »
Man it's been a long time sense I opened the 3rd Ed main book. I forget all about the complexity of 3rd.

Ahh yes, the good ol' day....

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.