NEWS

Data Trails Errata

• 44 Replies

Max Mustermann

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <09-10-15/0208:52> »
Hi to all,
CRB RAW tells us, programs only in cyberdecks. DT tells us, all cyberdeckmoduls could install in all devices.

You can also run cyberprograms on RCC's, not just decks. But if you're talking commlinks; yes, you can use program carrier modules on commlinks too. Programs normally can't be run because commlinks have no program capacity, but in the case of program carrier modules, it's the module that holds the program and does a bulk of the work.

There are still some outstanding questions about them, but the basics of being able to run them on commlinks has been pretty well settled, with dev confirmation.

thanks Top Dog,

do you have some links, where could i find the dev confirmation about the basics.

best regards Max

Granted.

You can run one cyberprogram via a Program Carrier on a commlink.  I didn't write that chapter, so I don't know what the author's intent was when it comes to running Virtual Machine with two additional cyberprograms, but my educated guess would be no.  I don't allow that at my table, fwiw.

Thank you very much kinkaid. Is it possible to ask the author of that chapter ::) 8)

best regards Max

@Kincaid,

could you ask the author of that chapter or could you tell the author, that we need his or her help :)  ;)

kind regards Max
Please remeber, i'm not a native, due to this my english will be ... not really good ;-)

Lecolius

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <09-13-15/1240:48> »
Going to jump in on this, since I had a very similar situation come up last game:

Basically, my player wanted to use Program Carrier modules containing "Virtual Machine" on almost every piece of his gear, and load everything up with Wrapper and SNeak programs (to become nigh-on indetectable); arguing that you could do this on any 'device'.

Now, the way I understand it (and also the way I momentarily rule it in game), you can indeed add a module to any device, but:
- Decks, and decks only can run common/hacking cyberprograms. (RCC's as well, but they have an extremely limited selection they can run.)
- Commlinks can only run commlink apps and no cyberprograms.
- Other devices simply cannot run programs at all.

Hence adding a module containing 1-2 programs slots to a device that cannot run programs simply has no effects. A module added to a comlink would give said comlink 2 extra comlink app slots.

But then I gave it another thought, and I wondered: "What's the point of adding modules to another device than a deck beyond hardening it against damage/turning it into a grenade?"

Could anyone clarify the situation a bit for me, please?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <09-13-15/1826:02> »
Basically all they need to do that sort of thing is Stealth and Wrapper on the PAN master. It has been established that a Comlink can have Virtual Device loaded on a Program Module, this may seem exploitive, but remember it does make the device more vulnerable to being bricked.

Once the PAN master has access to them any device slaved to it will have the Sleaze bonus (much like anything slaved to a Cyberdeck) and the Comlink or RCC can then change the device icon of anything slaved to it (again, much like a Cyberdeck can use wrapper to change the icon of anything slaved to it.)
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <10-02-15/2333:30> »
Need to access the Matrix in
the morning and your commlink’s at the cleaners? No
problem, with a few mods and a Hardware test, you can
be surfing the Matrix on your toaster.

Data Trails p60

Security Officer 1: Sigma 3 give me status on the intruders
Security Officer 3: Sir, we have found the intruder, he just took out  Sigma 4,...$^%&$&^you wouldn't believe this sir, scan shows that the intruder is using the R1000 Happy Pancake Maker.
« Last Edit: <10-02-15/2337:00> by antaskidayo »

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <10-03-15/0005:44> »
- Decks, and decks only can run common/hacking cyberprograms. (RCC's as well, but they have an extremely limited selection they can run.)

Actually, that's not entirely true: A lot of people see that sidebar on RCCs and read those listed prigrams as the only programs that a RCC can run. In point of fact, those are just some of the programs that a RCC can run. You are generally missing a couple of stats that a true cyberdeck comes with, but with the correct mod you can add either sleaze or an attack rating (and increase that new rating a point), and then run programs that need that added rating as well.

Max Mustermann

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <10-03-15/1411:22> »
Hi to all,

It's true, most of the people use VM on commlinks, or rcc. But without official errata it is interpretation or houseruling :(

Kind regards Max
Please remeber, i'm not a native, due to this my english will be ... not really good ;-)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <03-18-16/1815:49> »
Something I noticed recently while making an AI character. P156 at the end of the paragraph about "AI Vehicle Combat" it says

Quote from: Data Trails P156
For more information about AI skill tests, see the table below.

No such table exists anywhere near that statement.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

&#24525;

« Reply #37 on: <04-21-16/2013:15> »
Something I noticed recently while making an AI character. P156 at the end of the paragraph about "AI Vehicle Combat" it says

Quote from: Data Trails P156
For more information about AI skill tests, see the table below.

No such table exists anywhere near that statement.

In addition to this, there is also another discrepancy

Quote from: 156pg
AIs running on a vehicle use their Pilot rating in place of Data Processing to determine Initiative, Handling in place of their Physical Limit, and can opt to use their Sensor rating in place of their Mental Limit. Pilot is also used in place of Device Rating for determining the Matrix Condition Monitor of a vehicle. They determine their initiative score with (Intuition + Pilot + 4D6). Only AIs with the Pilot Origins quality may use autosofts in place of active skills, they also use their Depth in place of the Pilot rating of vehicles/drones they are running on.
Does this imply that an AI with Pilot Origins replaces Pilot with their Depth for Initiatve and Matrix Condition Monitor?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #38 on: <05-13-16/1041:15> »
Page 3, change “The All-Seeing GOD” to “The All-Seeing Eye of GOD
Page 6, change “sank” to “sunk”
Page 18, change “largeley” to “largely”
Page 26, change “ourselves” to “itself”
Page 28, change “Daae’s” to “Daee’s”
Page 30, change “in you” to “on you”
Page 30, change “studly caps” to “StudlyCaps”
Page 30, change “over complicated” to “overcomplicated” (one word, no space)
Page 31, change “thing sat” to “things at”
Page 31, change “spend our wheels” to “spin our wheels”
Page 31, change “all how gaze” to “all who gaze”
Page 32, change “schools’s” to “school’s”
Page 33, change “range of hackerdom” to “ranks of hackerdom”
Page 35, change “and automated” to “an automated”
Page 35, change “with doom enough” to “soon enough”
Page 39, change “others activities” to “other activities”
Page 41, change “You can just” to “You can’t just”
Page 41, change “and stealthy” to “are stealthy”
Page 41, change “concept” to “contact”
Page 42, change “Technicolor Dreams” to “Technicolor Streams” … twice.
Page 42, change “Thee” to “The”
Page 45, change “dataHaven” to “datahaven”
Page 82, change “then we could have ever imagined” to “than we ever could have imagined”
Page 88, italicize “The Wizard of Oz
Page 102, change “two Standard Security Spider” to “two Standard Security Spiders
Page 110, in the Foundation Attributes table, swap Data Processing and Sleaze (Transitive Property of Attributes: in Astral Space, Agility maps to Logic and Reaction to Intuition; in a Living Persona, Logic maps to Data Processing and Intuition to Sleaze; therefore Agility maps to Data Processing and Reaction to Sleaze)
Page 113, change “access” to “accesses”
Page 114, change “with a even mediocre rating” to “with even a mediocre rating”
Page 147 (E-ghost) make “Hello World!” proper case, not all-caps
Page 148–149, italicize book titles in the qualities tables
Page 153, change “Spoof” to “Spoof Command” … and again on page 154
Page 155, change “WATLAM” to “WTLM”
Page 158, change “useable” to “usable”
Page 158, lowercase “grids, vehicles”
Page 159, change “POKE” to “Poke”
Page 160 (Rust), change “reduces” to “reduce”
Page 162, change “play it up its affects” to “play up its effects”

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-14-16/0422:35> »

In addition to this, there is also another discrepancy

Quote from: 156pg
AIs running on a vehicle use their Pilot rating in place of Data Processing to determine Initiative, Handling in place of their Physical Limit, and can opt to use their Sensor rating in place of their Mental Limit. Pilot is also used in place of Device Rating for determining the Matrix Condition Monitor of a vehicle. They determine their initiative score with (Intuition + Pilot + 4D6). Only AIs with the Pilot Origins quality may use autosofts in place of active skills, they also use their Depth in place of the Pilot rating of vehicles/drones they are running on.
Does this imply that an AI with Pilot Origins replaces Pilot with their Depth for Initiatve and Matrix Condition Monitor?
[/quote]

I just stumbled over this as well. This conflicts also with the home device rule where you can enhance the pilot rating by one point. As written dept would overwrite this change.

Inserting a "can" use their Dept in place of Pilot rating would solve this.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Gratuitous Boom

• Newb
« Reply #40 on: <04-14-17/1850:07> »
None of those Traits are specifically said to only be available at chargen.
As such, no one stops you from grabbing the trait afterwards.

I stand corrected. That didn't occur to me (I guess because no one in my games has ever bought a positive quality after chargen).

An AI purchases programs with karma instead of credits, so I would assume you would purchase each autosoft for 5 karma. Now you have a problem in that the book doesn't say what rating the autosoft would be. You could say you need 5 karma per rating but that would be far more expensive than buying the relevant skill considering all the different models of vehicles/weapons the skills cover versus the autosofts. I suggest that the autosoft's rating equals the AI's depth.

Edit: Maybe each rating of an autosoft should be purchased separately with the AI's depth as rating maximum. That way an AI could load a rating appropriate to the device rating of the drone or RCC its running on.
« Last Edit: <04-14-17/2152:26> by Gratuitous Boom »

&#24525;

« Reply #41 on: <04-14-17/2223:04> »
That;s largely irrelevant as Pilot gets replaced with Depth.

Gratuitous Boom

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <04-14-17/2239:50> »
Only for AI's with the Pilot Origins quality. AI's without still use the pilot rating of the drone they're running on for the autosoft limit (+1 or +2 depending on optimization and quality choice) so they may need to buy a rating lower than their depth.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #43 on: <04-15-17/0831:04> »
Paying Karma for an autosoft at a set rating would mean that you'd need to repurchase it with Karma if you wanted it at a higher rating, which is even worse than having to pay Karma for cyberprograms.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Seether

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <03-15-18/1702:35> »
Got a couple of questions regarding the AI section.  Specifically the 5 karma per program section.  That seems to make things pretty dang rough for AIs out of the gate who wish to be deckers or more specifically, riggers.

First:  What is the rating of these 5 karma programs?  I'm assuming it grows with the rating of Depth what with the cost for 5 karma being at a 10k value and a max value of an autosoft being 3k.  With the 3x cost for a program, are we also, while looking at the verbiage of Pilot Origins, thinking that they might become adaptable? As in, I can use X autosoft on any type of drone/weapon I want (with Pilot Origins)?  (I am strongly thinking that the answer is no, but I like to hope) "The AI is also capable of loading, converting (the word I was hoping means I can convert autosofts to be used on multiple platforms), and using drone autosofts."

Otherwise, you're going to be paying something along the lines of 15(30 total if you pick up Clearsight, EW, Smartsoft, but that 15 won't multiply) karma per drone type. 30-45k as opposed to 9k.  More if you are going to be loading a copy of your program into another drone.  I'm assuming I can't just copy a program I made on my own over to another drone, in this instance.  Can I?  That'll bring the costs down a bit.

Anyhow, thanks for any clarity on this as the rules seem to be... interesting for AIs.