NEWS

Permits

• 48 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <05-09-11/2315:02> »
Very British Commonwealth, however.  In England, a store was shut down with a massive police investigation because someone found:  One bullet.

An old, and very common caliber.  It was in a very hard to reach place, and could have been in the shop, literally, since World War I for all they were able to tell.

Canada's working on moving on the same idea, but is doing a much poorer job of it.  I think we have the USA to thank for SOMETHING after all.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #31 on: <05-10-11/0203:04> »
Very British Commonwealth, however.  In England, a store was shut down with a massive police investigation because someone found:  One bullet.

An old, and very common caliber.  It was in a very hard to reach place, and could have been in the shop, literally, since World War I for all they were able to tell.

Canada's working on moving on the same idea, but is doing a much poorer job of it.  I think we have the USA to thank for SOMETHING after all.  :P
I'm not surprised.

As a school kid many years ago, I found a .22 bullet (Possibly live, definitely whole) near my school bus stop in a nice quiet suburb. There was a police investigation within minutes...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #32 on: <05-10-11/0217:33> »
Where I grew up, barely noticed.  All depends on where you live.

And I moved to a Murder Capital.   ???

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Operator

• Omae
  • We own the night!
« Reply #33 on: <05-10-11/0539:28> »

I'm not surprised.

As a school kid many years ago, I found a .22 bullet (Possibly live, definitely whole) near my school bus stop in a nice quiet suburb. There was a police investigation within minutes...

That's hilarious, because I actually found a loaded, sawed-off shotgun.. DISCARDED AND FORGOTTEN ON A CITY STREET.
I'm a little out of touch with local news, but I do not recall any significant arrests or the like being announced after that discovery.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <05-10-11/1438:53> »
Again, depends on where you live.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #35 on: <05-16-11/0414:58> »
That's hilarious, because I actually found a loaded, sawed-off shotgun.. DISCARDED AND FORGOTTEN ON A CITY STREET.
I'm a little out of touch with local news, but I do not recall any significant arrests or the like being announced after that discovery.
:o ..... did you turn it over to the police or pick it up, wipe it for prints, conceal it, and lived happy up to this point with a throw away shotgun.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <05-16-11/1751:48> »

I'm not surprised.

I have .22 bullets in my junk drawer.  And both my kids know where my rifles, shotguns, and handguns are.  The ammo is somewhere else under lock and key but I take them out regularly to the gun range, so they know exactly what guns do and why they aren't toys.

But I work for a school district so I'm always careful to discuss firearms away from work :D

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <05-16-11/2032:42> »
I have .22 bullets in my junk drawer.  And both my kids know where my rifles, shotguns, and handguns are.  The ammo is somewhere else under lock and key but I take them out regularly to the gun range, so they know exactly what guns do and why they aren't toys.

But I work for a school district so I'm always careful to discuss firearms away from work :D
I lived in the US for a while, and am quite comfortable with firearms from my own use (and will one day educate my very young kids about the do's and don'ts). But unless you live on a farm in regional Australia (where it's permanently Rabbit/Kangaroo season) or join the military, the average Joe could live their entire life here and never see a real-life rifle/shotgun

You'd be even more hard-pressed to ever see a handgun except on the hip of a Security guard or police officer.

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <05-16-11/2253:13> »
Man that is so crazy to me :P  It's hard to imagine.  I've always lived in the south though, maybe people from DC or New York could imagine it better.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <05-16-11/2316:06> »
Man that is so crazy to me :P  It's hard to imagine.  I've always lived in the south though, maybe people from DC or New York could imagine it better.
Could be worse... in England, even the general beat-cops don't carry firearms...

'Stop! Or I'll say 'Stop' again!

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <05-17-11/1847:37> »
Could be worse... in England, even the general beat-cops don't carry firearms...

'Stop! Or I'll say 'Stop' again!
They've started to issue pistols in England.

Hell, they've started to issue SMGs to MOUNTIES!  (Only in Ottawa, IIRC.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #41 on: <05-17-11/2210:41> »
Different Worlds, different worlds.  As an Australia, the idea of guns everywhere is so strange.  Sure, I've seen security and cops with handguns on their belts, and once I went out west (way, way, west) and a farmer friend of my family took us on a trip to see his property... and shot a couple of roos for his dogs' dinner with a... um... .22? 
But if I saw guns in the hands of private citizens, I would freak out a bit.  How dangerious is that?  Its okay in movies and fiction, but real life?  Scary stuff...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <05-17-11/2232:22> »
See I prefer it.  I see a story about a school shooting and think, man, if a teacher had weapons training and a concealed handgun, we could have had some lives saved.

Especially at colleges.  We had a kid go nuts at a college, and the students/faculty were just waiting in rooms for him to walk down the hall and into each room in turn and start blasting away.  Most didn't even bother to hide, just stood there waiting.

That kind of mentality is far more scary to me than someone with a gun.

Hm, I wonder what wallaby tastes like.  I've had snake, gator, croc, and nutria, but no kangaroos around here to try :D

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #43 on: <05-17-11/2239:13> »
I always wondered why body armor wasn't more in vogue.  Maybe even subsidized.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <05-17-11/2245:15> »
I'm not sure how legal it is to own really.  I'm not sure if Joe Schmoe could buy it somewhere, but I have something to check tomorrow at work ;)