NEWS

SR6 Tamper detection system?

• 8 Replies

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« on: <12-15-20/0125:15> »
I am running a Catalyst made adventure and in the last mission they have rating 6 maglocks with rating 6 tamper detection system.  But the core book does not list anything about tamper detection systems, so how do I run that ?  I could make the lock harder to slice, but it isn't tamper proof but detection, not sure how to judge it?!
See u in the Matrix!

BuddyJC

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-15-20/0536:55> »
This was discussed recently in this post:

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=31398.0

The short answer is that it is copy/paste of mag locks from 5th edition, but the thread gives different choices as how to implement it ruleswise in 6th edition.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-15-20/1610:03> »
We ended up ignoring the anti-tamper, as the rating of the building security was already tough enough.  Hosts were too hot for the decker (me).  Matrix security in that adventure is seriously hard.  What is a hacker supposed to do against a host that's rolling 21 dice?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-15-20/1625:08> »
We ended up ignoring the anti-tamper, as the rating of the building security was already tough enough.  Hosts were too hot for the decker (me).  Matrix security in that adventure is seriously hard.  What is a hacker supposed to do against a host that's rolling 21 dice?

If you were opposed by 21 dice I'm pretty sure your GM wasn't doing something correctly.

You referring to the host in Scene 7? Yeah it's gnarly. I'm looking at like 16-17 resistance dice, depending on the test.  Yeah that's a lot*, but it's not 21 dice...  Only way I can even see that exact number being hit is if you somehow rolled against Attack plus Firewall, and that's not a thing.

It's also factoring in an NPC spider with 5s and 6s in all the relevant stats... sigh I hate that.  Why is a Stephen Hawking working a thankless job watching security logs?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-15-20/1706:24> »
The Data Host would resist with 21 if it had to roll D+F (spoof command, cybercombat), but fine I exaggerated slightly :P  Still too dicey for a stealth mission at 14-16 dice for the average defense, not to mention Patrol IC rolling 16 dice to spot you and set off an alarm every minute.  We were far safer outside the host. 
edit: Actually maglocks would be on the security host which would defend with 20 dice against Spoof Command, and that would be the most common use in this adventure, so really I stand by what I said.
« Last Edit: <12-15-20/1711:56> by MercilessMing »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-15-20/1838:58> »
edit: Actually maglocks would be on the security host which would defend with 20 dice against Spoof Command, and that would be the most common use in this adventure, so really I stand by what I said.

That's fair.... I suspect that the adventure was written before the differences between 5e and 6e were properly grokked.

Of course speaking as someone who likes to play the infiltrator... hey at least the lockpicker has a chance to do something rather than waiting for the hacker to just pop the lock, amirite?

PS: I did some playtesting for the 6e SRM missions where I played a decker where I purposely left his dice pool at 12 dice.  I was pretty goddamned ineffective, too... I'm normally not much for min-maxing but I do think in the decking game you kind of have to.  Unless the hosts are presented with stats way lower than we saw in 5e.
« Last Edit: <12-15-20/1843:55> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-16-20/0945:59> »
Yeah that's a common problem I've seen not just in Missions but when people are talking about Hosts in general... just because the ratings can go that high doesn't mean they should.

The highest typical rating that a normal PC should be seeing is 4, maybe 5 ... anything higher than that is ultra high prime runner level stuff.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-16-20/1336:19> »
The first I saw that kind of stuff was in a 5e book, Coyotes maybe. Even the weakest border security was rolling a bajillion dice making it impossible for any reasonable hacker to contribute in a smuggling mission. You can logically argue virtually any host for borders or most corp properties so why make the choice that makes it unplayable for the decker.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-16-20/1546:04> »
Fortunately we had an infiltrator, and because the matrix security was so hot, it was his mission to shine.  There were still things for me to do, cause #7 requires data manipulation on protected offline storage.  Those are things to keep in mind when building adventures.