NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #225 on: <10-20-13/1913:20> »
I haven't seen a lot of references to Brackhaven's potential infection. Now, I haven't read Season 4, but I can't really see a good reason for tanking Seattle's economy except as a Sybil initiated thing.

Depends on what the Virus wants (and it DOES seem to want something...)
Look at the know infected:

Riser, an assassin, with links to the Smoker's club, a highly skilled wetwork team.
Fastjack, THE hacker of the known world.
Lanier: A VIP of one of the largest, most powerful MegaCorps on the planet.
Plan9: An individual with ties to the fringe (crazy) element of the world.... where, believe it of not, the first clues to the planetwide conspiracy would first be noticed.
Brackhaven: the governor of one of the most important sprawls on the North America and access to most of the world thanks to it's position as a trading port and the presence of every single Mega on the planet.

So, now you have,

The best info finder, Assassins, Corp assets, a city and rumor control all under the fingers on a Virus..... And it Seems to have intelligence and a plan....

Best not sleep tonight, never know what is going to use your body while you're "away"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #226 on: <10-20-13/1945:24> »
One of the things that I've noted is that the virus has an Agenda, but not necessarily cohesive vision. Each new personality is an individual, and they aren't working completely in sync. Most seem to attempt  secrecy, but then there's the Serial killing, a blatant hack of Richard Villier's email, and SEARCH taunting Fastjack.
So I propose that the virus doesn't really initially know how to be human (and that some personalities don't really care to be), and that while there is the agenda to get meta bodies, there isn't a unified vision on how to accomplish it.
I've also noted that air vector nanotech hasn't been mentioned. It's possible that the NEOnet facility had some sort of way to put nanites into a host's bloodstream, where they reprogram other manures in order to reproduce.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #227 on: <10-20-13/2213:29> »
One of the things that I've noted is that the virus has an Agenda, but not necessarily cohesive vision. Each new personality is an individual, and they aren't working completely in sync. Most seem to attempt  secrecy, but then there's the Serial killing, a blatant hack of Richard Villier's email, and SEARCH taunting Fastjack.
So I propose that the virus doesn't really initially know how to be human (and that some personalities don't really care to be), and that while there is the agenda to get meta bodies, there isn't a unified vision on how to accomplish it.
I've also noted that air vector nanotech hasn't been mentioned. It's possible that the NEOnet facility had some sort of way to put nanites into a host's bloodstream, where they reprogram other manures in order to reproduce.

which would explain why those with Nano hives get taken over faster.....

but there are some REALLY frightening aspects of Cybil as well.... Remember the mages? they blew themselves (and every one else) up with MAGIC.....

So that means if an awakened gets infected and taken over... Sybil now has all the power of the mage!!!

Cybil.... ritual magic.... a disregard for organic life.....

Sweating yet?

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #228 on: <10-20-13/2222:11> »

which would explain why those with Nano hives get taken over faster.....

but there are some REALLY frightening aspects of Cybil as well.... Remember the mages? they blew themselves (and every one else) up with MAGIC.....

So that means if an awakened gets infected and taken over... Sybil now has all the power of the mage!!!

Cybil.... ritual magic.... a disregard for organic life.....

Sweating yet?

Oh yeah. Sybil is a HUGE threat. I personally theorize at this point that Sybil is a way for AIs to come to the meat world. And with the power of the hosts Magic, they're terrifying. But it seems that the Sybil hosts are a bit fragmented currently. They don't share a plan like many other threats have in the past. Hopefully this aids in thwarting them.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #229 on: <10-20-13/2233:04> »
Now is that cause we don't have all the pieces to the puzzle so we can't see the full picture? Or is it cause they are truly fragmented....

I am thinking it's the former.... as they seem to be striking out at one particular Mega Corp more then anything else (read Storm Front to figure out which one!)

The mages took out some serious investors into a Mega Corp biotech branch, and they themselves were working with that Bio-tech company...

Lanier ordered several attacks on that company while under the control of Cybil.

Fastjack Hacked that company several times, for no reason he can figure out.

Plan 9 had runners killed that were working for that Corp. (through telling the Corps of their up coming runs)

Riser killed several top shadow talents that worked mostly for that Corp...

Sounds like they have a plan to me! But there may be rogue elements that just want something else as well....

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #230 on: <10-20-13/2243:37> »
It's interesting that Sybil targets 2 megas. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, too.

Side note: What should we name the folks who have the Virus? Sybellines?

We can't call them Infected.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #231 on: <10-20-13/2247:19> »

I like the "Walking timebombs of doom" :D

hmmm.. I guess that is a little wordy :P

martinchaen

« Reply #232 on: <10-20-13/2338:29> »
How about... MICE (Matrix Induced Chronic Encephalitis).

Oooor... APE sufferers (Artificial Personality Echo). Or "Inhabitated" as opposed to infected...

There's always the Splintered State term; CFD, or Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder. We could always refer to them as the Fragmented, I suppose.

DamienHollow

« Reply #233 on: <10-21-13/0027:52> »
"Instant sleeper agent in a virus gone wrong", anyone? I see no reason this couldn't have been invented as a way of trying to turn people into spies or saboteurs without their knowledge and just doesn't work.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #234 on: <10-21-13/0058:48> »
"Instant sleeper agent in a virus gone wrong", anyone? I see no reason this couldn't have been invented as a way of trying to turn people into spies or saboteurs without their knowledge and just doesn't work.

Like a nano-based pesonality chip?  The legacy of dreamchipper with some Deus as well... oh...
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #235 on: <10-21-13/0125:42> »
How about... MICE (Matrix Induced Chronic Encephalitis).

Oooor... APE sufferers (Artificial Personality Echo). Or "Inhabitated" as opposed to infected...

There's always the Splintered State term; CFD, or Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder. We could always refer to them as the Fragmented, I suppose.

Fragmented.... nice...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #236 on: <10-21-13/0126:48> »

Like a nano-based pesonality chip?  The legacy of dreamchipper with some Deus as well... oh...

HELLO BOYS!!!! I'M BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #237 on: <10-21-13/1017:31> »

I like the "Walking timebombs of doom" :D

hmmm.. I guess that is a little wordy :P

WTD's, I like.

martinchaen

« Reply #238 on: <10-21-13/1023:27> »
Fragmented.... nice...

I have the solution to CFD, by the way; get a non-dissonant Technomancer to run defrag... Ta-daaaaa!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #239 on: <10-21-13/1207:06> »
De-frag in some context could end up like Unborn...