Shadowrun General > Gear

Must have gear/skills

<< < (2/2)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: Mr. Black on ---The Con skill. Every movie/TV operative (outside of cold blooded hit men) has a high Con skill. James Bond, Ocean’s Eleventy, Burn Notice, Leverage, etc., all do undercover work, even just to lie to a rent a cop. I have lost count of the number of SR ops blown, and dead/incarcerated characters, that came from Lone Star pulling someone over for a busted taillight, or a guard questioning a “maintenance” worker. I have seen TPK because a player panicked when a security guard asked a player about the latest draft pick for the Seahawks! All because they couldn’t make a half-assed Con check.

--- End quote ---

You're not wrong.

Reaver:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---
--- Quote from: Mr. Black on ---The Con skill. Every movie/TV operative (outside of cold blooded hit men) has a high Con skill. James Bond, Ocean’s Eleventy, Burn Notice, Leverage, etc., all do undercover work, even just to lie to a rent a cop. I have lost count of the number of SR ops blown, and dead/incarcerated characters, that came from Lone Star pulling someone over for a busted taillight, or a guard questioning a “maintenance” worker. I have seen TPK because a player panicked when a security guard asked a player about the latest draft pick for the Seahawks! All because they couldn’t make a half-assed Con check.

--- End quote ---

You're not wrong... but...

once you start saying you need one skill, you also have Perception and Athletics and Sneaking that every runner also "must have".  Pretty soon you "must have" a whole assortment, even before looking at the 2-3 skills your archetype focuses on!

--- End quote ---

Yea, but that's the point of a "Well rounded" character. Some times it means you can't shoot the wings off a fly at 100 meters, but you CAN consistantly put lead into the target, AND bluff, sneak, and spot.

You don't need 75 dice in everything, but you should be rounded enough to roll a single success on a Con or Bluff test. Otherwise, even the best laid plans can goto shit fast.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:

--- Quote from: Reaver on ---
--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---

--- End quote ---

You're not wrong... but...

once you start saying you need one skill, you also have Perception and Athletics and Sneaking that every runner also "must have".  Pretty soon you "must have" a whole assortment, even before looking at the 2-3 skills your archetype focuses on!

--- End quote ---

Yea, but that's the point of a "Well rounded" character. Some times it means you can't shoot the wings off a fly at 100 meters, but you CAN consistantly put lead into the target, AND bluff, sneak, and spot.

You don't need 75 dice in everything, but you should be rounded enough to roll a single success on a Con or Bluff test. Otherwise, even the best laid plans can goto shit fast.

--- End quote ---

I edited my post since I was being pretty hypocritical, since just upthread I was all "you need this and this and this, skillwise" :D  You caught me before I edited!

And yes I agree with you on the principle of "it's better to have 9s in lots of skill pools and 12s in one or two, than having a ton of dice in 1 skill and be crap at everything else".

Mr. Black:
LoL, you don’t need to max out Con. Just a single point means that in a pinch, you can use Edge. Every character doesn’t need to be a face, just enough to tell a convincing lie to a low level functionary with their finger on a PanicButton... ;)

CanRay:
Drugs.

All the drugs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version