NEWS

Modules with deckers but no magicians

• 8 Replies

BeCareful

• Chummer
« on: <08-24-19/2020:14> »
I've read about modules (I can only think of one off the top of my head) where it says, "At least someone should be a magician, but a decker is unnecessary for this."
Does anyone know of any modules that encourage a decker/techonmancer/technology-focused character, but discourage magically-related ones? Just asking, in case there are any that'd be fun to read/run/play.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-19/2041:37> »
It does seem it can be hard to find a published Shadowrun adventure where the big bad isn't a magician of some kind, which in turn really gives a team a hard time if there's no magician PCs.

OTOH, matrix-focused adventures are much harder to find.  So I wrote one for season 10 :D

Still, modules shouldn't discourage anyone, even if they sometimes do discourage hackers and/or riggers :(

One I'd recommend checking out is SRM 7-01 The Deck Job.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-19/2217:54> »
Thank you for both pointing one out to me, and for actually writing one yourself. I was on the fence about looking at Missions before, but now I do want to check out at least those two.

Yeah, the way my first decker tends to put it, "Sure, I can break your expensive equipment, steal your naughty trids folder, & send 'em to your friends, but this guy can setcha on fire!"

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-19/2245:09> »
When the rest of Season 8 is available for purchase (or for now, if you have a CDT among your group!) I'd also recommend SRM 8-04 Dirty Laundry as a decker-friendly mission.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-30-19/0126:23> »
It's been awhile, but if you want to go way back:
Imago
Celtic Double Cross
Dragon Hunt
A Killing Glare

First two definitely benefit from a decker. As was mentioned above  you can downplay magic in most modules.

I've always found a decker makes things tons easier even if it is a magic heavy run.  :)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <08-30-19/0854:21> »
Heck, if you feel like converting systems, grab a bunch of Cyberpunk 2020 adventures!

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-30-19/0914:30> »
Heh.  If you're looking to actively put the screws to magicians (and let's be honest: who doesn't, from time to time...) you can cook up a home-brew adventure set within a huge Background Count (I want you to extract an inmate from Blackstone Prison... -16 dice to all magic tests!).  Or take it a step further, and set the run in space where magic flatly doesn't work at all.  "Mr J wants you to infiltrate a Lunar research lab..."

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-30-19/2224:51> »
I've been looking at older modules, and had my interest piqued by Imago. I think I'll take a look at that too.

The only thing about a shadowrun in space is that there's a lot more other stuff to take into account. But when it comes to background counts, a polluted industrial area would probably hit all the major points.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <08-30-19/2310:34> »
Just remember tho', even if your mage doesn't want to go in there, doesn't mean there ain't magic, bad magic, there.